Can you eat too much of the right foods?

So, I am part of a tough love whole30 forum on Facebook, and another member and I were having a disagreement about volume of food.

Background: I did a Whole30 in April'13 and lost 12 pounds effortlessly.  I then got pregnant (yay!) and had my baby in Feb '14.  I started what ended up being a Whole51 on May 19.  I only lost 4 pounds.  Looking back at what I was eating, I'm pretty sure my issues were: 1) Too much Fruit and 2) TOO MUCH FOOD.

This other member suggests that you eat until you are hungry (got it) and if you are still hungry, eat ANOTHER MEAL on the template - she has had great success (lost 85 pounds) but she also started somewhere around 300 pounds.  My start weight at the beginning of my '14 Whole30 was 183.  

My position is that it is entirely possible to eat too much of the right foods, which will hamper weight loss.  Unlimited food is NOT part of the template - which I know was my issue this spring.

The reason I am asking here is because in our forum, people are asking for help trouble shooting, and her answer is always "You aren't eating enough".

I don't think that IS always the answer.  

• Moderators

Yes, I believe you can eat too much compliant food on this program. I think what's as important as eating the right things is learning to read and trust satiety signals from the body. Each of us is different. If you know you're eating too much (eating past fullness, etc.) you're probably eating too much. However, I don't think it's uncommon for people to overeat a bit at the start of W30 because their bodies are clamoring for nutrition! In that case, it's OK to eat because the body needs it. But figuring out physical hunger and how it's different from emotional or mental hunger is a big part of what a lot of us are up to. W30 can help with that.

I agree with you, though, that "You're not eating enough!" is not always the answer. It often is, however, for people who come to W30 after years of yo-yo dieting and deprivation with an unhealthy less-is-more dieting mentality. 

• Moderators

If you follow the guidance of the meal template as written and a few of our guidelines like - eat 1) no more than one or two servings of fruit per day and 2) limit or avoid nuts and nut butters, you will do fine. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

I don't think arguing the theory of whether you can or cannot eat too much of the "right" foods is productive. Weight loss starts with food, but it also involves genetics, hormonal rhythms, sleep, activity levels, stress, etc. 

If you follow the guidance of the meal template as written and a few of our guidelines like - eat 1) no more than one or two servings of fruit per day and 2) limit or avoid nuts and nut butters, you will do fine. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

I don't think arguing the theory of whether you can or cannot eat too much of the "right" foods is productive. Weight loss starts with food, but it also involves genetics, hormonal rhythms, sleep, activity levels, stress, etc. 

Hi Tom,

I guess my concern stems from the fact that the Facebook group we created is to help others stay "on track", and I feel like telling people "if you eat a meal that follows the template, and you are still hungry, eat another meal" is NOT what Dallas and Melissa intended.  

Obviously, you eat to satiety, and for some people this means more, and for some people, this means less.  But telling people who are new to Whole30 that they don't have to pay any attention to how much they are eating seems like the antithesis of "Eat Three Meals: Protein, Veggies and Fat".  

So I think what I'm really looking for is the fact that the answer when someone is troubleshooting "why didn't I (lose weight/feel tiger blood/lose my eczema)", the answer isn't "EAT MORE FOOD".  

So I think what I'm really looking for is the fact that the answer when someone is troubleshooting "why didn't I (lose weight/feel tiger blood/lose my eczema)", the answer isn't "EAT MORE FOOD".  

I think there may be some misunderstanding here.  Whole30 does want you to pay attention to what you're eating, by following the recommended meal template for every meal.  If you are genuinely hungry in between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the guidance from Melissa and Dallas is to have a mini meal containing protein, veg and fat.  In addition, they suggest to look at your main meals and tweak the portion sizes until  your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

As far as suggestions to make when people aren't getting the results they want, it's hard to give a blanket answer to that query in absence of a specific individual's context.  We typically point folks to this article on reasons why the Whole30 didn't work for you.  In addition, we ask folks to post in the Troubleshooting section with 2-3 days worth of their food log, along with daily water consumption, nightly hours of sleep, their exercise routine, current level of stress and any health history that may be impacting results. From there, other members can give specific and relevant suggestions on possible tweaks and next steps.

Thank you!  The other member and I are in disagreement about paying attention to what you are eating.  Her interpretation is no limit until you are full.  That you don't have to track anything.

My interpretation is follow the template.  Not that you are tracking it, but there is definitely a limit to your consumption. (It's kind of the whole point of food with no brakes, right?)  If you are hungry sooner than 4-5 hours, modify your plate a little.  But I "could" eat 2 pounds of (compliant) bacon, because its yummy.  I'd be stuffed.  And clearly wouldn't have followed the template.  

My interpretation is follow the template.  Not that you are tracking it, but there is definitely a limit to your consumption. (It's kind of the whole point of food with no brakes, right?)  If you are hungry sooner than 4-5 hours, modify your plate a little.  But I "could" eat 2 pounds of (compliant) bacon, because its yummy.  I'd be stuffed.  And clearly wouldn't have followed the template.  

You've got it!  :)

Archived