Low Ferritin - Iron Supplements ... all contain TERRIBLE ingredients

before starting this program, I was diagnosed with low ferritin for the 2nd time. Last year, I took Vitron-C for 3 months and got my ferritin back into a healthy range. But it seems to have gradually declined, despite my eating many iron-rich foods (I had a pretty healthy, veggie-rich, gluten-free diet before). I was about to resume the Vitron-C when I read through the ingredients - chock full of bad stuff like dyes and maltodextrin. FeoSol wasn't much better - looked online and saw sucrose, dyes, and other garbage.

Does anyone know of an iron supplement that, if not 100% compliant, isn't completely ridiculous!

Thanks.

I've also struggled with low iron/ferritin in the past, although oral supplements haven't actually helped me at all. What did help was completing a Whole 30 and eating pate every day. I'd rather eat pate than take the pills - much more fun!

• Administrators

I've been chronically low on iron as well and I definitely notice that with Whole30 eating I do not get to the point that I need to supplement. I used to use Florasil but it's basically awful for you due to the above mentioned chemicals and sugars.

If I absolutely have to supp I do it with FerraMAX150 in pill form. Ingredients: 150mg elemental iron polysaccharide, red 28, yellow 10, Blue 1 and red 40, gelatin, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, titanium dioxide.

Why they have to put food colorings in a capsule, I just have no clue.

Archived