anyone have a favorite recipe for hot italian sausage

Babsie95

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You can make your own with "ground pork". It won't have a casing but you can form it into patties. I make breakfast sausage from it. I just add "poultry seasoning" and or some sage and thyme, salt and pepper. Taste exactly like breakfast sausage. For Italian sausage just add some garlic and sprinkle in some dried hot pepper flakes. Easy! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I nearly blew it today.  Really needed the emergency Larabars.  I was so disappointed not to find some ingredients I was looking for, and all of the off-plan yummies started beckoning!  So happy to have found another compliant sausage!  Trader Joe's Spicy Italian Chicken sausage.  Heaven sent!  (I wasn't the biggest fan of the Aidell's Chicken and apple sausage.  Nothing wrong with it, just prefer something a bit more zesty.) Thanks kemago216!  You made my day!

• Moderators

Any compliant ham cold cuts out there?   They all seem to have sugar added : / 

It's very hard to find any ham that's compliant. You may be able to sub prosciutto or pancetta which should be easier to find -- at least, I know prosciutto is easier to find, and I think I've heard of people finding pancetta. They're not exactly the same, but should give you some of that flavor, if you're just using it for an accent in a dish.

Remember that serving sizes of protein are 1-2 times the length, width, and height of your palm, so if you do find cold cuts/deli meats of any kind, it takes a whole lot of them to stack up to a serving size if they're your only protein.

• 2 months later...

I highly recommend Mark Ruhlman's book Charcuterie for making your own sausage. Husband made me a big batch of the breakfast sausage, but he modified it because I don't eat ginger. There are lots of recipes, and since it's homemade, there isn't a need for sugar. 

Archived