Calling all 10/27 starters!

Alexian28

Made it through the day pretty good, did the big shop for the week at Trader Joe's.  Man we are going through the fruit and veggies.  I'm making enough for the family and they are eating it all.  The meat not so much (my hubby is vegan) so I'm always scrambling for veggies and there are never any leftover :).  I will say my energy is back today, everyone here is in bed asleep and I'm wide awake which is a good thing.  

I sure hope mdraeger is right about day 31 and not craving EVERYTHING because I don't want to blow all this hard work on Thanksgiving.  I have a plan for the day and really am going to stick to it...but man if this was day 30 I don't think I would.  My whole intention for starting this now was to get through all the Holiday's without going into a food eating binge and not stopping until the New Year.  I want to feel good in the New Year and continue with a healthy lifestyle.

Hang in there almost half way there.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, the first 10 days or so were pretty good. Loved trying new food, didn't really miss the sweets, etc. but yesterday and today??? It's ALL I think about!! I feel like I'm going to go crazy! Does it really get easier? Like others, if today was day 31, I'd dive head first into a gallon of ice cream, washed down with a Diet Pepsi! Ahhhhh!!!!

One of my friends is trying to sabotage my whole 30 challenge. She constantly jibs and jabs at me & at the validity of the science behind Paleo. She attempts to get me to just have a bite of this or a drink of that, and uses the argument that life is short and you could get hit by bus tomorrow, etc. etc. Circumstances put us together often. I simply don't know why she cares and it's makes me more resolute to stay strong but it's making me crazy. Anyone else have a saboteur?

Omgsh Mermaid, how annoying!! Idk how you do it! I think with the crankiness that has come along with the whole30 mixed with your friends obnoxiousness, I would snap so quick it would make her head spin...so good for you for finding the strength not to and remaining kind! No sabotager her so no advice but just wanted to sympathize and say good for you!! Hang in there! Almost half way! Sometimes I feel like friends do these things out of jealousy or envy that they aren't making the same decisions for their health?!

Oh...just remembered - I do have have an acquaintance who keeps commenting on my Instagram photos of healthy food saying, "why?" "Larabars are gross!" "...but yolo!" And the yolo sent me over the edge, I said, "exactly!! You only live once so why not nurture your body with clean food that it's supposed to be consuming?!" And no response! Lol

By the way, as a nursing mom, I never fully followed the 3 meals with no snacks and at night I have never had the ability to not eat a banana with sugar free almond butter...until TONIGHT!!! I did it guys!! I had zero cravings to eat anything...I'm amazed!! Another small victory! :-)

One of my friends is trying to sabotage my whole 30 challenge. She constantly jibs and jabs at me & at the validity of the science behind Paleo. She attempts to get me to just have a bite of this or a drink of that, and uses the argument that life is short and you could get hit by bus tomorrow, etc. etc. Circumstances put us together often. I simply don't know why she cares and it's makes me more resolute to stay strong but it's making me crazy. Anyone else have a saboteur?

That stinks.  I do not have a saboteur, but my husband, who is not doing a Whole 30, often forgets and eats candy or the like in front of me. As of now, I am not having serious cravings, but I sure have that psychological aspect of wanting things I cannot have.  I think Kahaliti hit it with the comment about how your friend is not happy about choices she's making, so she's projecting it onto you.  Hang in there, you're doing great!

Made it through the day pretty good, did the big shop for the week at Trader Joe's.  Man we are going through the fruit and veggies.  I'm making enough for the family and they are eating it all.  The meat not so much (my hubby is vegan) so I'm always scrambling for veggies and there are never any leftover :).  I will say my energy is back today, everyone here is in bed asleep and I'm wide awake which is a good thing.  

I sure hope mdraeger is right about day 31 and not craving EVERYTHING because I don't want to blow all this hard work on Thanksgiving.  I have a plan for the day and really am going to stick to it...but man if this was day 30 I don't think I would.  My whole intention for starting this now was to get through all the Holiday's without going into a food eating binge and not stopping until the New Year.  I want to feel good in the New Year and continue with a healthy lifestyle.

Hang in there almost half way there.

The grocery bills can seem staggering, right?  And it is interesting to me that before, my kids didn't want to eat fruits and veggies all that much, but when they're cut up and easy to grab, they sure devour them.  That's a good thing, though.  I am glad your energy is up, I think mine is getting there too.  And we will hold strong on Thanksgiving - this 30 days is not designed so we can pig out on day 31, it's to establish a much healthier eating pattern for life!  We can do it, almost 1/2 way there.

Boy, the first 10 days or so were pretty good. Loved trying new food, didn't really miss the sweets, etc. but yesterday and today??? It's ALL I think about!! I feel like I'm going to go crazy! Does it really get easier? Like others, if today was day 31, I'd dive head first into a gallon of ice cream, washed down with a Diet Pepsi! Ahhhhh!!!!

Sorry about the cravings - try to keep the big picture in mind.  Diet Pepsi and ice cream will not make you healthier :P .  According to the timeline, you have two more days to get out of the craving stage. I have looked at the timeline, btw, and I don't believe it's a one size fits all!

My 18 month old grabbed for a piece of uncooked zucchini and onion the other day, made me chuckle!! Definitely trying more veggies than before but she always loved all things fruit so no change there! Another victory in the books!! :-)

The grocery bills are insane - almost enough to make me walk away from this - but to put it in perspective, we may be spending much more at the grocery store but the fact that we don't go out to eat or to get Starbucks twice a day or our weekly ice cream/Donut run saves a lot also.

So back to the topic or THANKSGIVING! I was totally planning on mobbing in all honesty - not that I eat much anyways but a couple pieces of turkey, stuffin muffins, green bean casserole, squash, gluten free rolls and gluten free pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream. I thought I would do it to celebrate but now I'm thinking it's a bad idea which makes my inner 2-year-old really really sad. Lol

Hi All - I am late to this party and will go thorough the past posts to keep up. I also started on 10/27 and had I noticed this string on day 1 I would have been here earlier. I actually started on 10/20 and then had some wine on a girls weekend. Really I should have started when I returned, but I was anxious to get started. I am doing this with my hubby and once he said, "OK I'll do it" I didn't want to wait.

I'll be back once I get to know all of you, read the past string and get caught up. I hope this has been a fabulous journey for all of you so far!

Michele

We are planning a Whole 30 Thanksgiving but not telling my family :-) They are used to us doing random stuff at holidays and eating modified food since I've been celiac for 15 years but this is quite extreme. My mom will miss gravy no doubt. They may eat some dinner rolls but we wouldn't eat them anyway.

I want to feel nourished and satisfied but not gross. So we've created a menu that seems yummy and Thanksgiving-like.

We plan a turkey breast pounded and stuff with stuff, rolled up, wrapped in bacon. We did a test run with a pork tenderloin and it was delicious. Either mashed sweet pots or cauli, brussel sprouts and a sweet potato pie. I made the sweet potato pie for hubbys BD and it was better than any pumpkin pie I've had. Well I don't like pumpkin pie I admit but still it was heavenly. We are a small group and at my house so it is easier to be in control of the food.

I will have a glass of wine. But otherwise I intend to keep the food in check.

Hi Michelle66 - welcome!  I hope you're having a great experience so far.  I know about the wine, that part is killing me (more from a social aspect).  I was looking at your plan for Thanksgiving, and it sounds delicious.  I thought I'd share this recipe for gravy with you. It is made with a slow cooker chicken, but could be easily modified for your turkey.  It's not like the gravy we're familiar with, but it is quite yummy; http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Welcome Michelle66! Your Thanksgiving sound awesome. Can you share the pumpkin pie recipe? I too don't want to over indulge. I decided to allow myself a piece of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. If I can do it with a great Paelo pie even better! Living4lish thanks for gravy recommendation. I'm going to try that this week. Today I made the Thai Beef stew from Nom Nom Paleo. Going to serve it over braised cabbage. I did a taste test and I think it might be the best thing I've ever tasted in my life. It also may be that my taste buds are revved up but holy moly that recipe is a keeper

Hi Everyone...well today was much better than last weekend stayed on point all day and cooked for the family.  They are liking the veggies for sure and I'm feeling really good about that.  My Dad lives with us and is diabetic and mostly refuses to try to change his diet, it's all about the medication for him.  But this whole week he has been eating compliant with me at least at dinner and he's is really enjoying the food.  We are talking about the whole family, kids included at the first of the year ditching sugar for at least 4 months to heal our bellies.  This will be HUGE :).  

Thanks for all the great Thanksgiving ideas everyone it's so nice to have all this support on our journey.

On to Day 15 for me and the big half way point.  Please let these crazy food cravings stop, I'm ready for the Tiger Blood.

Hi, Michele66! Nice to have you on board, and thanks for the Thanksgiving inspiration!

@Livin4Lish - thanks for the gravy recipe!!!

Not really excited about food today, even though I spent several hours in the kitchen last night...lol. I guess I'm still feeling the cravings a lot. But not for anything in particular. I don't think there's anything out there that would tempt me enough to quit the W30 right now; it's more just that food doesn't seem all that exciting. I feel really bloated, too. I guess I chalk it all up to my body making the switch. Oh, and yesterday I was feeling flat, crabby, and achey all over. Hopefully, the rest of you are feeling better than I am ;) Meh.

Thanks everyone.  It is nice to be here.  I'll post the Sweet Pot Pie later today.  It was easy and yummy.  I might try it with pumpkin for TG.

@livin4lish - I hear ya on the wine.  The only thing I've wished I could have.  Last night hubby said, come on, I'll have a glass if you do...  He's doing this too.  It is the first time he's tried to enroll me away.  It was half hearted.  He doesn't really like wine.  Frankly I expected him to do that way earlier in to this thing.  Thanks for the gravy recipe!

@Saara - agree with you too, there is nothing that would tempt me away at this point.  Too far in and I did that before (intentional but still, I'd be on day 22 not day 15 and right now that sounds pretty good...

Oddly I got sick last night (sorry TMI) and it was out of nowhere.  After feeling so great for a few days now I am feeling off.  I have no idea what could have caused it.  I did eat out for lunch but seriously it was a grass fed beef patty, lettuce, avocado.  That is it.  Today feeling pretty crummy which I attribute to dehydration.  Feeling great was such a teaser but I am seriously shocked at how awful I've felt during most of this thing.  So I'd say meh to the start of my day too. 

Okay First off the chicken meatball recipe... it isn't so fancy, but is pretty tasty and easy

1 pound ground chicken and I just added some dried basil, parsley, 1 clove fresh pressed garlic (I love garlic), salt, pepper... and just smooshed them all around and rolled out some meatballs.

In a pot I heat 1 diced onion, another clove of pressed garlic in about 2 tb of ghee until slightly browned. I then added some more basil and parsley, 1 small can tomato paste, and some water ( to make a sauce), I then brought it to a boil. I reduced heat and put the meatlballs into the sauce, covered it and let them cook about 30-40 minutes. Uncovered them and cooked another 10 minutes to thicken the sauce.

I then used fresh broccoli I had already oven roasted and made it the "Bed" and poured some sauce and meatballs on top. Was pretty good... although I might throw an egg into the meat mix, I was just out on Friday night!

I am planning on ordering some Yellow curry paste and making some chicken pineapple curry this week... so I am looking forward to that!

I went for a run with one of my friends yesterday morning and struggled a bit. Was my own fault, I left my preWO meal on the counter when I left and my run was tough at the end... I pushed through it and just chalked it up to bad planning. Will be better next time!

Last night I made roasted potatoes with garlic and basil, broccoli, and some chicken quarters, one with an old bay inspired rub and the other with a basil/garlic rub. So good!

Okay Day 14.... here I am! I am so excited, ordering some yellow curry paste to make Chicken pineapple curry this week. I am seriously so looking forward to it, I could do a little happy dance.

I am finding the weekends to be the hardest and this weekend coming up is going to be a tough one. My step daughters (and my dance studio) have dance comp this weekend. All Day Sat and All Day Sun. So I am going to be packing a good bit of food... I am also going to take an emergency larabar or two. You just never know when you get the chance to eat at these things. 

Great job to everyone and keep up the hard work!

Thanks everyone.  It is nice to be here.  I'll post the Sweet Pot Pie later today.  It was easy and yummy.  I might try it with pumpkin for TG.

@livin4lish - I hear ya on the wine.  The only thing I've wished I could have.  Last night hubby said, come on, I'll have a glass if you do...  He's doing this too.  It is the first time he's tried to enroll me away.  It was half hearted.  He doesn't really like wine.  Frankly I expected him to do that way earlier in to this thing.  Thanks for the gravy recipe!

@Saara - agree with you too, there is nothing that would tempt me away at this point.  Too far in and I did that before (intentional but still, I'd be on day 22 not day 15 and right now that sounds pretty good...

Oddly I got sick last night (sorry TMI) and it was out of nowhere.  After feeling so great for a few days now I am feeling off.  I have no idea what could have caused it.  I did eat out for lunch but seriously it was a grass fed beef patty, lettuce, avocado.  That is it.  Today feeling pretty crummy which I attribute to dehydration.  Feeling great was such a teaser but I am seriously shocked at how awful I've felt during most of this thing.  So I'd say meh to the start of my day too. 

Looking forward to the recipe as well!

Hey!  

Just got on the site and see that I have a "group" that I belong to!  So nice to belong.   SO - I am reposting what I posted on the "November" Whole 30 group of folks:  

Day 15 today. 

Finally "roll calling in" after listening to podcasts - Robb Wolf, and anything with Loren Cordain, the Hartwig's, Paleo Runner, Etc. 

Colin

Scio, NY

First couple of days were the typical hangover, and then I spent the first week trying to figure out what to eat - I mean there is all kinds of info, but trying to put it all together mentally, get to the store, find out what is available and fresh, and buy it and prepare it takes some time. but I think I have the hang of it.  

Been eating right for the most part, but trying to get the right balance to stop the snacks. (walnut and almond and dried cranberry trail mix). AND to stop the evening snack craving. Which I am positive is just a craving and not a necessity. My goal this week is to quit the after dinner (before bed) snack (frozen blueberries and raspberries). 

I spend 3 hours a day driving (work is 67 miles away), and stopping the snacking while driving is also tough. 

Doing the whole 30 to clean up my eating habits and help with blood lipid levels which I have a familial history with. Also to help with my fitness, and running pace. Start burning more fat vs carbs.  

Enjoying the challenge so far. Not too bad.  The cravings seem to be increasing some.  Not necessarily for sugar per se, but definitely the fruit craving, which is honestly the same thing I guess. 

Glad to read your posts, and everyone kick butt! 

Colin

Since everyone else is EXACTLY where I am in this, what are you folks doing about the nighttime cravings?  I am thinking to avoid salt a little more maybe, and to train myself to adapt, and live without the craving. Ignore it, and develop new habits.  just wondering if any of you have a trick!  I would love a tumbler of bourbon with an ice cube to help, but it seems that is out of the list of options. 

Thanks! 

Yay! Second full night of sleep in weeks!! Stil need to get another hour or so in though. But my dreams we FULL of accidently eating non-compliment foods! A bit if a sandwich here, a price of cheese there. So glad I woke to find I'm ok and can keep going!!

Onward! Today my hubby and I are going into the city for lunch and a walk amongst some historical homes. Should be fun!

Day 15!!! We did it!! Halfway there!! We got this!

Hi Colin and Michelle, welcome!! Day 15 here and the cravings seem to slowly be slipping away, I thought they'd never leave!! Although it seems I have been on an emotional roller coaster or cravings and small triumphs but wondering is this is my turn around. Hoping so!

Colin, for the night time munchies - I ALWAYS had to eat either a banana or apple with sugar free almond butter from trader joes sometime after dinner. I attribute part of it because I'm Breastfeeding and feel I need to snack a lot in the day but mostly, it was just a bad habit or night munching that my husband and I would engage in. In order to hinder those, I would either drink ice water or go to sleep early with my daughter. (8/9pm) Going to sleep early works best! However, the last two nights I haven't had the night time cravings at all and I'm not sure why? But thankful! :-) Again, my turn-around?!

Happy day 15 everyone!!!

Hi All - here is the sweet potato pie recipe.  I had hoped to find it online but no.  It is from Paleo Comfort Foods by Julie and Charles Mayfield.  I really good book if you are in the market for one.  There are fewer recipes that call for ungodly amounts of butter and honey or other things that I consider fringe Paleo.  There are a lot of W30 compliant recipes or easy modifications.  The gumbo recipe is fantastic.

This pie is easier to make than it looks.  In ()'s you will find the modifications I made to make it W30.  It was wonderful!

Nutty Pie Crust (can be made a day or two ahead)

• 1 C almond flour
  • 1/2 C pecans roughly chopped (mine were ground up pretty well...)
  • pinch sea salt
  • 1/4 C coconut oil or butter melted (you may need a little extra if you leave out the honey below)
  • 2 tbsp. honey (optional, didn't need it)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (I used a vanilla bean, not sure it added anything)

1. Preheat oven to 350(F)
  2. combine the almond flour, pecans and pinch of salt in a large bowl
  3. in another bowl combine the oil/butter honey and vanilla (I didn't do this, just added this stuff to the bowl from step 2)
  4. stir the wet ingredients in to the dry until complete combined
  5. using your fingers press the dough in to a 9 1/2 inch pie pan
  6. bake for 12-14 mins or until the crust is golden brown
  7. allow to completely cool on a baking rack before filling

Sweet Potato Pie

• nutty pie crust made and cooled
  • 2 cups sweet pots, peeled, broiled and mashed (I steamed)
  • 1 tbsp. butter or coconut butter melted (I used coconut oil)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp baking soda (yes W30 compliant and I used)
  • 1 tsp baking powder (not W30 compliant so I left it out)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup coconut milk
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup honey (I used 2 dates that I pureed with the sweet pots.  note - it took a long time for it to really break up and blend in - you will need a food processor for this)

1. Prepare pie crust and allow to cool (can be made in advance)
  2. preheat oven to 400 (F)
  3. in a large bowl or food processor mix sweet pots and butter, add in eggs and mix until fluffy (if you use dates, blend them w/the sweet pots for awhile until fully incorporated - note this took awhile to not see date 'bits' then add the eggs)
  4. in a separate bowl combine cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt (I just threw it in to the food processor...lazy baker)
  5. add coconut milk, apple cider vinegar and spices to the sweet potatoes and mix to combine
  6. add honey if desired (I used the dates and they were already incorporated in to the sweet pots so no need for this step)
  7. pour contents in to pie crust and bake for 10 mins at 400, then reduce heat to 325 and bake for 30 mins or until set (needed 5 extra mins)

ta da!!!  I made this they day before, refrigerated it and it was perfection they day of.  I also decorated the top with a few toasted pecan pieces and it added a nice crunch. 

Whoop! Whoop! Day 15!!  Half-way there everyone : ) 

Pretty proud of myself and not giving in to temptations.  I've had a full on war with that little voice in my head saying maybe just take a break, or keep eating healthy but indulge in a little bit of chocolate or something non Whole30 compliant....but I'm winning the battle so far! 

Not sure who is following Whole30 on Instagram but there was a recipe from Cherry (@studiosnacks) a guest blogger for ground pork and stir-fried shredded cabbage. I made it last night....super good!!! The sauce tasted like butter chicken...made my whole night lol Defintely recommend as it was super easy and quick to make and delicious : )  My only recommendation would be to drain the pork grease...I don't think it will wreck the recipe??  I just found it was a bit greasy so I'm going to try that next time or use ground turkey.

Colin - for the night time cravings I would have an apple or something small.  Then eventually I just drank water, or tried to busy myself with something, and they sort of just went away.  I really do think it's a craving/boredom thing.  I had the same issue with mid-morning/afternoon snacks...and I still find that I'll have an apple the odd day.  I'm sure going to bed earlier like Kahaliti recommended would be a great savior too!

Congrats on getting to day 15 everyone, you rock!!

Archived