Water intake vs. caffeinated drinks?

snoodess

I tried to search to see if this had been asked before. I'm just starting to be more conscious of my water intake. Based on my weight I should be drinking about 72 oz. per day. Should I try for more than that because I drink coffee and it has a duirectic effect?

I usually only drink one 16 oz. cup in the morning, although on a rare occaision I'll have an afternoon 8 oz cup. I also have unsweetened iced tea from time to time.

My sleep is interrupted too many times when I drink that much, even if I stop early in the day.  I know we need to filter to help remove toxins, and that urine actually transports more fat out of us than our solid waste, but I tend to think that if my sleep is interrupted 4 or 5 times a night to clear urine, that's my body's way of telling me it doesn't need that much.

I drink a quart when I get up, two quarts during my near-daily cycling (Camelbak), and maybe another pint around dinner.  Half that water during cycling sweats out, I live in central Florida where it's in the low 80s.  I limit what I drink around dinner both to avoid enzyme dilution and toilet pong overnight.  So really, I'm at about 80 ounces and I weigh far more than 160 pounds.  On rare days when I don't ride and don't do cardio at the gym, I'll skip the two quarts entirely.  When I do zombie on the elliptical, I usually only drink about 50 ounces since I can only tolerate the thing for 50 minutes while I easily do 2 hours on the bike. 

Does the formula really scale linear indefinitely?  It just seems like at some point it should start to taper off.  My cells are saying thanks, but no thanks.

At my current rate of progress, I'm not going to be this weight for long but I do feel I'll continue my current water habits.  I'm 6'2" so at best I'm looking at landing around 200-205 with weight training putting me about 8-10 pounds above ideal.  Even then, I'm a quart short and once I'm in that range I won't be spending 2 hours of my day on two wheels or drinking those two quarts.  I'll be looking for more time efficient and varied activity and probably at around 64 ounces total for the day.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when you increase your water intake it may take your body a few days to adjust to that level. When your body is dehydrated it actually retains more water so if you get adequate water it says "YAY" and let's go of some of what it has been holding on to. This has been my experience anyway. 

Archived