Wondering if I can have.......

Carlaccini

Hi,

I just started my Whole 30 today. I was going to start next week, but I thought Why??? So here I am. Anyway I cut out dairy about 2 months ago and cut back on grains and kind of became "gluten free" so to speak. However I became one of those who are guilty of making muffins and the like just so I could indulge in a "sweet treat". I came across a reciepe of Paleo bread that I was making every now and again. Now I was using this as a replacement for cheese and crackers at night. I heard nuts were a good substitute and would fill you up. The problem was - I am not crazy about nuts. So I made this bread instead. http://goop.com/reci...ast/paleo-bread. So I do know and understand the idea of not giving into cravings and such and replace them with other things, but this is a bit of a grey area for me. As it isn't really replacing a true craving. So what I was thinking is if I leave out the honey will this work as an occasional Whole 30 food?

Also I was making a fruit and protein smoothie as a PWO meal. The protein being 100% Hemp protein. I was wondering if there were any issues with this as well.

Since I am totally new with this I am still trying to figure things out.

I would appreciate some insight into the subject.

• Moderators

The Whole30 is a time to eat real food, so we ask you to focus on honest to goodness real food like a piece of meat and some veggies with a little good fat. Straying from this course can be dangerous to staying on track and certainly keeps you from getting the most possible for your experience.

The Paleo bread you propose is not acceptable during a Whole30, with or without the honey. Read the guidelines again. We ask you not to make Paleo versions of old food choices even with individually okay ingredients.

The guidelines do not ban smoothies, but they are a bad idea. Drinking your food has a different effect in the body that eating the same foods whole. You don't feel the same fullness, so you are setup to eat more. And most smoothies include too much fruit, so is really a sugar fest.

Hemp protein is not okay. Again, the Whole30 is a time to eat real food, not plant powder.

Give it a good honest try for just 30 days. You will be absolutely amazed at how the cravings go away naturally and you won't even think about Paleoized foods. I think having those "substitute" foods just keep the carrot dangling in front of the craving and therefore the craving never has a chance to go away.

Archived