Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just joined today and am starting my 2nd whole 30 tomorrow. I started my first whole30 last year in jan after Having my son and gaining 60lbs. I lost 20lbs and have been able to maintain for a year but I still have a long way to go! I also just joined the fb group so hopefully someone can accept me :). Thanks

I'm planning on starting my first whole30 after reading a seeing tons of others online commit and succeed.

I'm currently raising a almost 3 year old and a 8 month old on my own while my other half is deployed, and work part time. Besides that ongoing and knowing challenge, I currently breastfeed my 8month old and plan to do so for at least another 8 months. Also I just came home after Christmas to a flooded kitchen, of all locations, so this should be a definite challenge more so than mentally!

My weakness is real ice cream and micro beers!

I'm here! My name is Paige, and I’m excited to get going on my first whole30. I've read the book and I think I'm mentally prepared. I'm going to be incredibly busy starting next week, and I'm hoping as long as my energy levels are up and I have the right food ready, being busy will help keep my mind of the “can’t haves.” All good vibes are greatly appreciated!!

Countdown in Los Angeles.

In the past two days, I have made bone broth, beef sliders, nomnompaleo mexican beef, and ghee.  I plan to make Rogan Josh tomorrow.  Got two flats of eggs.  Still have frozen roasted veggies from my last cookup :-(  I roasted a chicken for dinner tonight and have another chicken on the fridge.  I have individual portions frozen of asparagus broccoli soup and butternut squash soup.  A few apples and oranges in the fridge.  So I think I'm set!

I like the idea of freezing meals.  I've been thinking about that a lot myself.  My plan is to schedule out my meals for the whole month and plan accordingly.  This may sound a bit over the top but with this being all new I want to be prepared and make it super easy on me.  It will also give me time to find and try new recipes as I can modify a day here and there with new recipes if I want. 

I was thinking I would make a soup or stew every Sunday for 2-3 days worth of lunches.  Dear hubby is going to do this with me so the food will go faster.  I also want to make a couple hearty salads for lunches a couple days per week, plus leftovers maybe a couple days.  I think that will take care of lunches.  Dinners I plan to keep pretty simple this go round with mainly meat and veggies, which will work very well with my daughter because she is picky and doesn't like sauces, gravies, casseroles and things like that.  I will probably make fajitas, tacos, stir fry's or something like that at least 1-2 days per week.  Then for breakfast I figured egg muffins and fruit or eggs and bacon, sausage, or ham.  We can have fruit, veggies, boiled eggs, and nuts for snacks if needed.  We are both kind of picky eaters which will make this a little more difficult, but hopefully the taste buds will change in time. 

I've been researching recipes on pinterest and have pinned a lot of things to try.  I definitely want to go into this prepared and ready to succeed! 

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/    check out this site I found it on the Whole30 Facebook page.  Its a whole week of meals that you cook in one day also has a shopping list.

Starting on Jan 4th this will be my second one.

After a week of binge eating all the foods I will be saying goodbye to (aka clearing out the fridge and pantry) I am not only ready to start this journey, I am excited and my poor body is screaming for it.  I am looking forward to participating in this group, especially as I travel from Boston, MA to Tulsa, OK next week (driving the whole way with just my two cats) I almost changed my start date to accommodate my move but felt I had put it off long enough and I owed it to myself to start the new year working to feel better and becoming the best version of me I can be. 

Happy New Year all. Here is to our good health. 

Hi, I'm starting today (Jan 1) too and am really looking forward to sharing it with you all. I have a horrible sugar addiction too, it's been a lifelong horror show, and I'm hoping to find relief from stubborn cravings. I was totally out of ideas, so the Whole30 has come to me at the perfect time. Happy new year to you all!

Day 1 almost complete for me and the world didn't end!

I feel like I did quite well and enjoyed the coconut cream coffee instead of having to go cold turkey on absolutely everything.

I was slightly disappointed when I researched whether or not I could make myself bliss balls so I could enjoy a sweet treat when I needed to (after all, they're pretty much just dates & nuts - both 'yes' foods on Whole30), but I was reminded that they would be like SWYPO, a real no, no.

Instead, I opted to fill 3 dates with slivered almonds and eat them at the end of my main meal of baked fish with lemon, olives & tomatoes, steamed broccoli with a little drizzle of fish sauce & sesame seeds, and sweet potatoe baked in duck fat. Having the dates (whole) on my plate was like they were part of my meal, as opposed to being a dessert.

Hope everyone is doing well today...

Starting today!

I started my first Whole 30 last year but didn't complete. Lack of organisation & willpower hit me towards the end. Stupid really, as I had begun to feel great.

Looking forward to making it to day 31 this time!

Cx

(sits down with her black coffee and the reminder "Beating cancer is hard...drinking coffee black is NOT hard" ringing in her ears)  ;)

As you can see from my sig, this will be my third Whole30...Since my last Whole30 I've had some major health issues, and consequently the number of prescription bottles in my cabinet has gone from one to four. I'm enough of a realist to know that I won't be able to go off all of them but it would be great if I could go off the blood pressure ones at the very least. This requires me to be mindful in a way I've never had to be before.

Going through some old threads, I'm reminded of how well the first Whole30 worked for me. Also, reading about how some have managed to stretch it out to 60 and 90 days has me wondering if I could do something similar. Right now, though, I'm just taking the first step and not worrying about the rest of the staircase too much.

One thing I'm thrilled about: The humongous amount of recipes that are out here now! Today I'm going to make Melissa Joulwan's egg foo young recipe as well as some paleo pad thai using broccoli slaw. Yeah, I love Asian food...

Best of luck to everyone!  :D

Good morning and Happy New Year everyone! I am so excited to get back to feeling GREAT! On the menu today is my usual breakfast of 3 fried eggs over veggies. I have some cauliflower rice in the fridge, so I'll eat that with ground beef and salsa over a baked sweet potato for lunch. Hoping to make some h.b. eggs today and some Nom Nom Paleo spicy tuna patties. Dinner might be some baked fish and gingered zucchini soup. I have to be flexible because my friend is about to have her baby and I am supposed to go help her. Hence the need for some premade protein. Wishing you all lots of success in this journey. Try to focus on the little victories.

Good morning, what a great day to start on!  Happy New years!   I've been doing Primal for the last couple of months and have been feeling great.  I'm doing the Whole 30 to challenge myself to cut out the cheese, and eliminate all the hidden sugars along with the dark chocolate that I tend to eat every night.  Looking forward to seeing how I feel after the 30 days.   

Hi!  I stepped on the scale on Dec. 22nd and saw a new high....ugh!  So, I started my W30 a little early.....Dec. 23rd!  I know it's not about weight loss, but I was also getting cranky, poor sleep, etc.

I've followed Paleo for years; in fact, I saw the Hartwigs at the very first PaleoFX in Austin a few years ago.  Problem is, I let in way too many "paleo treats" (SWYPO, love that acronym), which led to a little extra bite of cake, an extra handful of chips, which became a sleeve of thin mints, 1/2 a large pizza.  I can ditch alcohol, I can even ditch wheat, and dairy isn't really difficult....for me, it's the SUGAR.  I am completely addicted.

I read someone on Facebook who posted that they've successfully quit cigarettes, alcohol, and even meth.....yet they can't get the sugar under control.

So I had to get honest and recognize the problem it is for me.

A highlighted paragraph in ISWF says, bluntly (paraphrasing), that those pretzels, those M&M's, aren't special.  You are an adult, you can walk into any store and buy them.  It's not like grandmother's famous recipe that you only get once a year.........Sheesh, I really did need to hear that.

I created an Excel spreadsheet to track what I eat, because I can get so out of control.  At the top, in large, bold letters, I wrote:  30 days.  No Sugar, No Wheat, No Dairy, No Alcohol.  

I also moved all the "paleo treat" items to the back of my pantry, out of view.  It's so easy for me to take a bite of a paleo-approved chocolate, or to whip up a coconut sugar-chocolate-coconut cream treat and eat half the batch.

I've finished my 9th day.  The first 8 days were easy-peasy; yesterday, I wanted to consume every piece of chocolate on the planet.  Yes, I wanted to dip the planet in chocolate, let it harden on wax paper, and eat it all.  I came home from a stressful outing, ate a W30 approved meal, and enjoyed a quiet NYE.

Hi.  This is my first Whole 30.  I am doing it with a fellow teacher at school so we will cheer each other on.  I have been raw vegan, gluten and sugar free in the past but slowly started eating the simple carbs again.  I felt great when I was sugar free and that is my real goal as sugar is the root of so many problems.  I now eat fish and I love nuts.  I also juice, which helps.  I am looking forward to getting back the "no sugar" feeling.   :)

What do you suggest for really good tea? I have struggled to find tasty decaf tea.

Thanks!

Mary

I found that a lot of bagged tea had soy lecithin which is not allowed so I would suggest finding a good loose and or reading the ingredients label.  If you can find Bija organic tea I like the Sleep Well flavor.

Archived