Pre WO meal - allergic to eggs?

leigh

I'm on my second Whole 30 and I'm introducing exercise this time but I'm struggling with what to eat for pre-post W/O.  Here's the issues I face:

1) I was never much of a breakfast eater.  I typically do a protein shake made with fruits, greek yogurt, milk and protein powder. But thats all no good for the Whole 30 diet.  

2) I'm allergic to eggs.  ok well that might not be the way to say it: I can't eat eggs straight up.  For some reason they make me sick. But if they are mixed into something (ie: baked goods, or for some reason I can do them raw into a smoothie) then I'm ok.  So not sure if its technically an allergy but its not an imagined issue so I have to work with it.

Last whole 30 I didn't really exercise at all so I didn't follow any sort of pre/post work out meal plan.  Now that I'm starting (tomorrow!) I'm not sure how to do this.  I am doing a 6:30 am workout and get up about 15-20 min early for it.  I can maybe get down a smoothie but if I eat too much it makes me nauseous for the workout.  My typical whole 30 shake was a frozen banana, some frozen berries, half a cup of spinach, two raw eggs, and a bit of water.  I just read that I'm not supposed to have fruit pre workout so now I really don't know what to eat? Spinach, egg, and water does NOT sound very appetizing. 

Post workout I could probably do a sweet potato or maybe the plantain chicken fritters that another poster suggested but I have no idea how I'm supposed to eat that AND breakfast.  Is it a big deal to do both meals?  If I'm not hungry and eating lots of protein,fats, starchy veggies, can I just combine my post WO meal and call it breakfast?  I'm picturing a sweet potato / veggie/pork hash.

I've been reading through the other posts but they all are very egg heavy or just heavy meals in general.  I really need some practical suggestions (the chicken plantain fritters were a great one!).  Any secret recipes out there?

For reference, my plan is to do 45 min of exercise M-F.  I'm taking classes so they vary from spin classes, to yoga, to TRX training, to weight training classes.  It should be a fairly well rounded routine.  I'm NOT fit or athletic AT ALL and have about 40-50 lbs to lose off my 5'8" frame to get back to a "normal' weight for me. (most of my adult life I was about 140-150 lbs - size 8/10- now..not so much)

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Pre-workout isn't super super important EXCEPT when you are exercising first thing in the morning. In those cases we recommend a little something to help get hormones in balance. You want fat. And maybe a little protein. Would you do a spoonful of coconut oil or nut butter or a small handful of nuts? Or a small portion of leftover fatty meat like short ribs? Or a little guacamole or mayo with leftover less-fatty meat like chicken breast? This is a small portion, think 1-2 tablespoons, not a palm-size.

Post-workout is most important if your workout is intense in some way: either intense strength training, or intense cardio vascular exercise. If it isn't intense, don't worry and just eat breakfast. If it is super intense then try to get some protein in within 30 minutes for optimal recovery. Some people feel better with starchy carbs at this time as well, but your glycogen stores will recover over time regardless--if you feel good without the starches post-WO you can just have them over the next few meals.

Archived