1st trimester, aversions, nausea, cravings and a bad cold

Hi ladies:-) I'm 6.5 weeks and the nausea and aversions just came on with a vengeance. I've been super sick for the last week with a cold, cough and fever, and now that I'm coming out of that, the nausea is taking over. I've been w30/paleo for 1.5 years and finding it very hard to stomach any vegetables. Chicken is on the no list right now as well. I had a smoothie last night in order to get some spinach in myself. I've been super indecisive about foods, and wanting just bread. Help! Oh also, I have a 6 hour flight on Tuesday, and I get motion sickness when I'm not pregnant. I didn't have this that bad with my second, but did with my first but that was five years ago. What's out there that will help my nausea? Where do I find it? Thanks ladies.

For nausea while on the plane...

Use acupressure.  Apply your thumb to your wrist and press for 30 seconds. Your index and middle fingers should be on the top of your wrist.     Use ginger....the real stuff.   Add many slices to a cup and pour boiling water over it.   Drink often.   Stand outside on the porch, get some fresh air as needed or stick your head out the window.   Fresh cool air.     You can also breathe into a small paper sack (lunch sack).   That's what my Pop does when he has nausea.

Congrats.   Hugs and kisses all around.  

stereoscope-congratulations-it-s-a-boy-h

How are you feeling now?

As well as ginger tea (fresh is best, but bagged can be more portable), you may be able to find ginger tablets for morning sickness or travel sickness. Check the ingredients and ask the chemist if they're a safe dosage for pregnancy.

Some people find mint tea helps, but others not at all. It's a good smell-covering if smells are making you feel ill.

Soup might help you get some veggies in. Are any of the starches appealing? Is anything appealing?

• 5 weeks later...

Ask your healthcare provider about taking a B6 supplement. (They're available over the counter, but check with the doc to make sure there's nothing that would make this unsafe for you or your pregnancy.) There's some promising research showing that B6 can help reduce or even stop morning sickness. Magnesium has also shown some promise, I think.

Archived