Candy Cane Lane Tea

Aly :-)

Hi everyone. I have searched the forum and have only found people saying that they think Celestial seasonings candy cane lane tea is compliant, however does anybody know for sure? I got a box from my secret santa earlier this week, and was wondering if I can drink it during my whole 30? 

Thanks!

• Moderators

In general, you need to check the ingredients list for something like this. If each individual ingredient is compliant, then the tea is.

Looking online, it appears to be -- assuming that your tea has the same ingredients list as what I found, and sometimes ingredients can change over time, or products that are compliant in one region of the US may be manufactured by a different plant in another region and be slightly different and non-compliant.

Natural flavors are usually considered okay for Whole30, but if you're curious about exactly what those flavors are, you'd have to contact the company and ask. There's a fair amount of leeway in what can be considered "natural flavors." 

You should double check your box of tea and make sure there's nothing non-compliant in it. In tea, the most common things to watch for are stevia or soy (including soy lecithin). 

Thanks. The ingredients say peppermint, decaffeinated green tea, orange peel, natural vanilla and mint flavors, cinnamon, milk thistle, blackberry leaves, roasted carob, roasted chicory, and vanilla bean. I have know idea what milk thistle is, and I assume because it has the word milk it is not compliant, and I'm unsure about natural vanilla and mint flavors? What do you think?

Nutcracker Sweet has vanilla extract in it.  Candy Cane Lane specifically says vanilla flavor and vanilla bean separately.

I guess if you listen to classical music, you can handle the non-compliant 35% alcohol in vanilla extract.  Hopefully the elves weren't getting tanked and accidentally spilled some into the Candy Cane Lane blend. 

Hopefully that natural vanilla flavor, that doesn't come from vanilla bean since it's listed separately, is actually just vanilla oil from the husks.  Vanilla husks score a thumbs up on the pesticide and phytate scoreboards.  They're grown in places that can't afford the transportation costs of pesticide and the husks don't suck all the iron, calcium, magnesium, copper, potassium and zinc out of your dinner.

Archived