Ann's Third W30!

Ann

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Enjoy your weekend!  And tell all these paleo-restaraunters to open places on the east coast!  Well, first - can you taste the organ meat in the meatballs?  If you can't... then tell them to open on the east coast ;)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, the stress continued through last night. The details are long and boring but I again worked on the project from hell when I got home from work until about midnight. Didn't even stop to eat dinner. I'm typing this at 7:20 am from bed. Woke with quite a headache and a very hungry belly. Gonna go make a nice big breakfast with BP coffee and spend another 2 hours or so on this damn thing, then I should be able to put it behind me. Onward to day 23.

Well, first - can you taste the organ meat in the meatballs? 

littleg, I'm picky about meat, and apprehensive when it comes to what I consider unusual meats -- unusual isn't the right word... I'm struggling for the word here.  But I don't like game, or organ meat, and I actually do not like to eat something still on the bone (except the amazing hot wings at a local restaurant, or perfectly done fall-off-the-bone ribs).  And if there's gristle or anything sinewy, or big pieces of fat, or skin that isn't cooked to perfection, it grosses me out.  Mostly, it is just a mental hangup, and I'd like to overcome my reluctance to eat these things. 

So, I tried to approach these meatballs with a very open mind.  My first bite, I was like, wow, these taste great!  They were wonderfully seasoned, and cooked perfectly (a very slight trace of pink in the middle).  I could sort of taste the organ meat, but I tried to not think too much about it, and tried to just enjoy the flavors.  It's not the flavors that bother me, but the thought of what I'm eating.  Then in my second bite, a vein of bloodiness oozed out.  :blink:  I set that meatball to the side, and continued to eat most of the others, but to be honest, I enjoyed the cabbage more than the meat.  It's a mental thing I know -- I'm working on it.  Organ meat is apparently incredibly good for you. 

Before I forget, here's my day 22 (yesterday) log.  I skipped dinner, sort of by accident.  I was in a zone on my project, and even though I was hungry, couldn't pull myself away from the desk to go eat.  Then it was midnight, so I went to bed.  Terrible plan, terrible idea, but at least I didn't stray off plan.  In the day, I would have ordered pizza or Chinese delivery. 

Breakfast - veggie/egg scramble from the Zebra

Lunch - green salad with lots of veggies, kalameta olives, packet of smoked salmon, olive oil/vinegar/dijon

Snack - cashews, dried pineapple, coconut flakes

Dinner - zip.

16300418122_197019398c.jpgDay 22

Sorry to hear the project from hell is not over!  I had that kind of day one day this week and would have loved a glass of wine in the middle of my workday or some chips or something else I didn't need :wacko: It' as these types of things that make us better but are difficult to get through.  I hope it's finally over.

That salad looks amazing!

Okay, finished stupid project around noon today, putting it behind me, not lookin' back.  Blechk.  Onward!

Treated myself to take out tonight at the Cultured Caveman.  Pork carnitas tacos.  The tortillas are compliant (coconut flour, tapioca flour, eggs, olive oil sea salt), although I do realize they are totally SWYPO.   And they came with a little container of green chili aioli (EVOO, egg yolk, garlic, green chili, lemon, vinegar, dry mustard, sea salt).   These were delicious, probably the best thing I've had so far in this W30.  

On another note, I bought a julienne peeler to try to make my own zoodles.  The darned thing gets all clogged up after one or two swipes.  This is the one I bought -- is there another one that works better?  Or do I need to buy a spiralizer?   I just didn't want another big gadget -- I was hoping I could get away with something that can be tossed in my utensil drawer. 

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Kitchenware-Stainless-Julienne-Vegetable/dp/B00FF75XG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421551747&sr=8-1&keywords=julienne+peeler

Planning to turn in early, and hoping for a long, solid night of good sleep.  

Day 23: 

Breakfast - roasted vegetables, fried eggs, BP coffee 

Lunch - sausage, my favorite olives (Costco jalepeno/garlic greens olives), a little bit of sauteed zucchini

Dinner - pork carnitas tacos with jicama slaw

16117666390_2b7668d38e.jpgDay 23

I did all kinds of fun new stuff today.  I made my eggs in a pot a la Gordon Ramsey's method here.  I actually have made scrambled eggs this way once or twice before, but it was a long time ago (maybe during my first W30?), and I really like them this way.  

I picked up some grass fed beef bones at the store, and have my first pot of (beef) bone broth simmering in the crock pot now.  I've made broth with turkey and chicken carcasses, but only let them simmer for a couple of hours.  Which makes delicious broth, but I don't know if that is considered "bone broth" since I only cooked it for a couple hours.  Anyhow, this is my first time with beef bones, and first time using the vinegar and letting it go for 48 hours or so.  I'm anxious to see how it turns out, and hope it is tasty enough to drink in a mug.  

And then, I finally got my julienne peeler to work making zoodles tonight!  I ordered a spiralizer anyway, because I want one (and my daughter has been wanting one, too).  But the zoodles were good tonight, and so easy!

I'm disappointed that it's day 24 already, and I'm not getting much (if any) improvement in my aches and pains (hip/low back/shoulder/ankles).   But I am sleeping a little better, and most of the time feel calmer and more cheerful.  And I noticed this morning that my favorite jeans, normally snug, are very loose.  Of course, I've worn them 3x without washing them, so maybe they are just stretched out.  We'll see.  I almost don't even want to admit this to the world, but I have stepped on the scale a few times.  This is by far the hardest rule for me (even harder than no wine), and I know I won't be able to claim a true Whole30 because of it.  But I will say, it is moving (slowly) in the correct direction.   :ph34r:

Day 24 (it's flying by!) -

Breakfast - scrambled eggs, zoodles with marinara from CC (which came with carnitas last night, but I didn't eat the zoodles until this morning), BP coffee 

Lunch - roast beef, veggies, green olives, grapes 

Snack - nope!

Dinner - zoodles with meat/mushroom sauce, green salad with olive oil/balsami/dijon 

15692088854_6f9b934382.jpgDay 24

I made an egg casserole this morning with meat from last night's marinara meat sauce, peppers, onions, mushrooms, eggs - it was good!  And leftovers for a couple more days of breakfast, yay!  

Beef bone broth is still bubbling in the crock pot.  I do not like the way it makes my house smell, and if it tastes anything like it smells, I will likely not be a fan of bone broth as a sipping thing.  But I will let it go until tomorrow early eve, and give a serving a good pinch of salt and pepper, and see how it goes.  It is quite possible I will just chuck the whole batch.  It seems/looks/smells sort of nasty.  

Otherwise, a pretty standard day.  

Breakfast - egg/meat/veggie casserole 

Lunch - green salad with roast beef, olive oil/vinegar/dijon, and some cashews

Snack - fruit leather things

Dinner - NY steak, asparagus with homemade mayo 

15703181783_2410c15a0a.jpgDay 25.

The bone broth is history.  It just smelled so bad, I didn't want to even go through the effort of straining it through cheesecloth, refrigerating until the fat hardened at the top, and then trying to season it to taste.  I threw the whole batch out.  I don't need bone broth.  Hoping it doesn't take too long for my house to smell normal again.  

Today was just a regular day.  I craved wine a little more than usual tonight -- I'm thinking it's sort of like the senioritis many experience during the last term of college/high school.  I've only got four days left, and maybe they will be the hardest for me.  My last W30 turned into a W24, and it happened very unexpectedly and suddenly.  I just wanted pizza and wine, and I had it.  I'm determined to muster up the willpower and self-control to see this through 100% all the way to Day 30.  

And ... I did not time it this way, but my son's 21st birthday is this Sunday (my Day 31)!!   My daughter and I are going to take him to a local tavern at midnight for his first legal drink --- and my first post-30 drink!  Haha!   Perfect.  

Day 26 - 

Breakfast - egg/meat/veggie casserole, V8

Lunch - green salad with roast beef, avocado, olives, and some green grapes 

Snack - coconut flakes, cashews, dried blueberries

Dinner - leftover steak, sauteed with mushrooms and ghee (splash of coconut aminos), and a banana

16143531830_fe8d776c48.jpgDay 26.

Forgot to post last night!  Here was my day 27 ...

Breakfast - leftover egg/meat/veggie casserole (this wasn't good by the third day, dried out, ick)

Lunch - Green salad with roast beef, avocado, EVOO/vinegar/Dijon, and grapes

Snack - one fruit leather thing 

Dinner- Cold roast beef, baby carrots, and olives (I wasn't in the mood to cook)

16152079169_a784aca955.jpgDay 27

I'm feeling unmotivated as I enter the home stretch here.  It feels like I'm at the end of a workout, and I need to give it a good hard push to make it to the end.  It isn't at all that I'm not enjoying the food, or having more energy, or sleeping better.  I just am tired of shopping and cooking and thinking so much about food.  I'm going to make it through Saturday, but I am looking forward to loosening things up a little bit. 

I'll need to really think hard about how I want to approach my reintroductions.  Dairy for sure (esp cheese and butter).  Wine for sure.  Probably grains/gluten on occasion.   I can live without legumes mostly, and without much in the way of processed sugars.  

I hope you all don't think I fell off the wagon!  I just am getting lazy about posting.  You will see from my menus below how completely uninspired I'm feeling. But I'm still on board, and I'm gonna get through one more day!!!   OMG - tomorrow is day 30!

Day 28 - 

Breakfast - egg/veggie scramble from Green Zebra

Lunch - green salad with chicken and olives from Green Zebra 

Dinner - leftover steak, broccoli sauteed in ghee, watermelon radish

16159770347_5a312b43fa.jpgDay 28.

Day 29 - 

Breakfast - egg/veggie scramble from Green Zebra

Lunch - green salad with chicken and olives from Green Zebra

Dinner - pork carnitas / tacos from Cultured Caveman 

15729809664_933d7f11d1.jpgday 29

DAY 30!!!   I made it!   Sort of ... my imperfections were a slice of non-compliant bacon on day 1, a few drops of vanilla extract in my coffee a few times, and not staying off the scale.  But all in all, it was a pretty darned clean W30!   Hooray!  

Bought the real deal Bulletproof Coffee when I was at the Cultured Caveman the other night, and made it for the first time this morning.  It was good coffee (even black), but not good enough to justify the expense ($19/lb).  So I ended up having two cups (with ghee/coconut oil), and had my proper breakfast last.  And I had a super productive day after that. In fact, I didn't even bother to stop for lunch.  I installed a new stereo in my daughter's car (which required two trips to the auto parts store, and quite a few bad words trying to figure out what I was doing), and I organized my "tupperware" cupboard (which is almost all glass containers now), and moved half my garage to the other side of the garage (carpenter coming Monday to build me some overhead storage, yay!!).   

So now I've had my dinner, and am waiting for both of kids to come home from work, and when the clock strikes midnight, we'll head out to the tavern to buy my son his first legal drink!  I'm thinking I'll opt for red wine or hard cider.   :)

Day 30 - 

Pre-breakfast - 2 cups BP coffee

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs, leftover pork carnitas and zoodles with marinara

Snack - fruit leather things (x2)

Dinner - baked salmon with ghee & paprika, caper tartar sauce, sweet potato fries, broccolini with a squeeze of lemon 

16334165666_9bb482b48f.jpgday 30

Late evening of day 30, I opened a really nice bottle of wine that was a Christmas gift from my boss.  It was special, delicious, and I enjoyed it very much!
I also had a couple of hard ciders on Sunday night when we went out for dinner for Mitch's birthday.   I didn't overdo it either night, and it went fine. 

I stayed otherwise pretty much W30 on Sunday, other than perhaps the dressing on my dinner salad.  I had a seared ahi salad for dinner, and have no idea what was in the dressing -- it was nice to just order the salad and not worry too much about what was in the dressing.  

Yesterday (day 32), I reintroduced dairy.  I had a couple small pieces of hard cheese with my breakfast, there was some shredded parmesan on my salad at lunch, and I got Brussels sprouts with cream sauce to go with dinner.  No noticeable issues so far.  Right now, I'm drinking coffee with some half and half.  I'm really hoping dairy is my friend, because it is what I miss most (other than wine).   Oh, I also picked up some Bragg's Healthy Vinaigrette salad dressing to keep in my fridge at work:  Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Bragg Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, purified water, organic honey, organic garlic, Bragg Liquid Aminos (vegetable soy protein & purified water), organic onion, organic black pepper and natural xanthan gum.

All in all, I am loosing things up, but trying to not stray too far. 

I used to think dairy was part of my DNA but whole30 taught me otherwise... And the worst side effect, it makes by arthritis pain come back if I indulge in cheese, which is the only dairy NOT affected by my taste bud reset!

Hi Ann,

It's great to see you handling "reentry" so well. I have really enjoyed and have been inspired by your experiences on your Whole30 so thanks for letting me / us follow along.  How is dairy treating you? That is what i miss also (cream, butter, goat cheese), though not as much as chocolate.  I miss crunchy / salty food as well so I am going to explore paleo friendly things there first. Also, I noticed you had roast beef a lot on the whole30 ... were you cooking this yourself? If so, what recipe were you using?  I ate a lot of chicken for lunch on salads and think beef would be a great option for those lunch salads as well.

Kelli

I think dairy may cause sinus issues (or a histamine type response) for me.  Starting a couple days after I started adding in a fairly small amount dairy, I began experiencing what feels like seasonal allergies.  Scratchy throat, sneezing, a little bit congested.  I have a co-worker with a bad cold, so maybe it's just a little bit of her virus?  Or stirring up dust when I was cleaning the garage?  But I suspect dairy may be the culprit.  

Kelli - I buy the roast beef at the Whole Foods deli, or the New Seasons deli.   Both stores make it in-house with all compliant ingredients - I think it was olive oil, sea salt, cracked pepper.  

I have stayed somewhat compliant since my W30, except for wine, cream in my coffee, and a little bit of cheese.  I did have gluten one night (grilled chorizo mac & cheese at a restaurant), and I'm pretty sure there's been sugar in a couple of salad dressings.  And I had a couple of rice crackers the other night.  But I'm making good choices way more often than not.  

Archived