Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

Welcome Nora B. Sounds like you've been an inspiration to your daughter-Go Mom! Glad to have you for the last leg of our journey.

Angledge, you are very active-it's a good thing...knowing what works for you. I rarely get hungry in-between meals-I think its because my fat intake at every meal satisfies me; occasionally I'll grab a handful of cashews, but I'm not tearing up the slopes like angledge. No snow in Florida. Have a great Saturday All.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe how close we are to being done. Been with you all from the beginning reading the threads in my iPhone daily from day 1 to the scale controversy to the larabars debate to Angledge hitting the slopes and our long jumper cutting 4% bmi. I've mostly felt amazing! Able to get up with no alarm. Had more energy. Got bored with meal prep and hated the dishes but trudged through it. I tried kombucha yesterday. Good stuff! I feel terrible today think I'm getting a cold. Achy no energy. Cough. Scared of re-intros after this. I have to say after reading the chapter in ISWF on milk I'm not going near the stuff. Any suggestions?

Happy Saturday!

Thank you for the links for the introduction week.

I have been reading and analyzing my meals plans and I did follow it throughly but I feel like I failed Whole30 by having bulletproof coffee and a breakfast. I think I have overconsumed the amount of the fat. No wonder I am not seeing the change in the middle section. I will stick till the end but will probably do another whole30. This program had taught me a lot and love all the recipes. I am disappointed and scared to do another whole30. Everyone keep up the good job!

I have been reading and analyzing my meals plans and I did follow it throughly but I feel like I failed Whole30 by having bulletproof coffee and a breakfast. 

Did you have bulletproof coffee with butter? If so, that would not be compliant on a Whole30.

If you had it with clarified butter, coconut oil, or coconut milk, that is Whole30-compliant.  We just don't want you to use bulletproof coffee in place of a meal, and if you're going to drink caffeinated coffee, the recommendation is to have it after meal 1, as caffeine can act as an appetite suppressant.

GFChris,

I actually had with coconut oil & ghee. I did not use it as a meal replacement, I think I have been consuming too much fat in one sitting. Next few days, I am going to cut off bulletproof coffee and switch to coconut milk and hopefully will help with my middle section.

GFChris,

I actually had with coconut oil & ghee. I did not use it as a meal replacement, I think I have been consuming too much fat in one sitting. Next few days, I am going to cut off bulletproof coffee and switch to coconut milk and hopefully will help with my middle section.

Whoops: forgot ghee. :-) Ghee is fine too.

Glad to be nearing the end.. Though I plan to continue to eat this way. Yesterday and today have been the best so far. I exercised both days and did not feel like I was fighting myself. I have gone down a size in clothes which makes me very happy. I am not quite back in all my old clothes but it's a start. I do not sleep as much as I'd like, but that maybe the coffee or the cold. Glad it's finally starting to warm up- I will be happier when it's spring.

Well, my 2nd W30 was ended yesterday...on Day 25.  I'm perfectly ok with it.  LOL  For the last few days, sticking to W30 was feeling more like a negative thing than a positive.  I'm pretty good at moderation most of the time...and I can recognize when I'm falling into "all or nothing" thinking that isn't healthy.  I was sticking to W30 in terms of staying compliant with what I ate, but I was eating less and less and being more and more irritable about it.

For me, I want this way of eating to be life-long and positive.  Being 100% compliant was starting to feel like the wrong direction.  So last night, I had about 1/4 c of coffee with creamer in it.  Drank about 4 sips of it, didn't like the way the creamer tasted/felt in my mouth and threw the rest of it away.  THAT is what I want in terms of staying compliant or "riding my bike"...not making any one food too big, either in "Oh my gosh, that's BAD!" or making it seem better than it is because I've told myself I can't have it.

My breakfast today was salmon, kale, olives, and compliant dressing (homemade mayo).  So I'm not going on a "bender" or anything... ;)

Cinagain - Congratulations on your 2nd Whole30! That's quite an accomplishment.

I'm excited that we are so close to finishing this journey and get to share it with each other. Although I haven't commented often, I've enjoyed waking up each morning and reading a little bit into everyone's experience.

Whole30 for me has been a good experience. I started because I felt a little too overwhelmed by my sugar cravings. Now I don't have them and can walk by candy without wanting to stop and grab and a handful. Which is great for work since we keep a lifetime supply of candy, doughnuts and junk food around work. I also learned a lot about myself -- I stress eat (surprise, surprise) and in order to be successful in my intake, I need to meal plan. If anything, plan smart snacks. So some good take aways that I'll need to remember and keep up.

Best of luck to everyone and let's finish strong!

I'm very excited to have made it this far - I really think I'm going to make it all the way to 30 days this time. I'm feeling a little excited/nervous about Day 31. I'm planning to do the reintroduction schedule (http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/), so that means on Friday I can reintroduce legumes (for one day). What to eat, what to eat? 

Can't believe we're this close to day 30! There's no way I'll not finish now, food is all planned for this week. Digestion is still not 100% so I might wait until I'm happy with that before reintros, and will stay off sugary things and alcohol for the rest of Lent in any case.

Looking forward to taking measurements and getting on the scale, too ... although I don't think I've lost any weight and may even have gained. Oh well, we'll see on Friday. I need to have another good think at the end of the week of what my non-scale victories have been, before seeing what the scale has to say, in case the news is bad. Here are just a few initial ones:

1) being able to commit to psychologically healthy eating habits with only one Food Without Brakes experience on the way (almond butter)

2) feeling comfortable with saying 'no thank you' to drinks or food that is offered to me

3) skin is clearer - no new breakouts

4) no cravings whatsoever

Hope to add more by the end of the week. How is everyone else feeling?

Well, my 2nd W30 was ended yesterday...on Day 25.  I'm perfectly ok with it.  LOL  For the last few days, sticking to W30 was feeling more like a negative thing than a positive.  I'm pretty good at moderation most of the time...and I can recognize when I'm falling into "all or nothing" thinking that isn't healthy.  I was sticking to W30 in terms of staying compliant with what I ate, but I was eating less and less and being more and more irritable about it.

For me, I want this way of eating to be life-long and positive.  Being 100% compliant was starting to feel like the wrong direction.  So last night, I had about 1/4 c of coffee with creamer in it.  Drank about 4 sips of it, didn't like the way the creamer tasted/felt in my mouth and threw the rest of it away.  THAT is what I want in terms of staying compliant or "riding my bike"...not making any one food too big, either in "Oh my gosh, that's BAD!" or making it seem better than it is because I've told myself I can't have it.

My breakfast today was salmon, kale, olives, and compliant dressing (homemade mayo).  So I'm not going on a "bender" or anything... ;)

Well done on your 25!

I know how you feel re W30 maybe being the wrong direction for you.

For me on my 1st w30 (which ended up a 28) I thought the plan would work only to find I put on about 6-7 pounds which I still haven’t got off – I need scales – what gets measured get done !! I was distraught and still am. Feeling heavy is a big emotional thing for me and impacts on my self-esteem.

I am now eating AIP paleo – for me that is enough restriction. There may be a day when I just want to eat a tonne of fruit or a day when I want to graze throughout the day or a day when I simply don’t want to eat (rare but can happen). The 3 meal plan is just too much for my system to cope with – some of the portions people are posting are staggering - I would end up a balloon! And Like you when there is too much of everything you can sicken yourself.

I think w30 does make you think about what you eat and does put a good structure around food – but not being compliant and starting all over again I think can be negative and destructive. You only have to look at the posts with people beating themselves up for not being compliant.

I have certainly learnt some things while I have been whole 30’ing and I hope they will stay with me for life. BUT you are right if it is not working for you and it is becoming negative take all the good bits and blend them in to your life.  Like you I want a long term sustainable way of living which I am happy with.

Wishing you all the best.

Zoe

I am very proud of us! I was feeling great until last Thursday. Then fatigue set in. Saturday a fever and aches. Doctor today-I have the flu. Yuck!!!! Still hanging in there lots of soup (with homemade meatballs and tons of veggies) and tea. Too late for tamiflu. Turning into sinus infection called in an antibiotic for that if not better by Wednesday. I'm going to finish strong then need to figure out what legume to experiment with...

Eggs, eggs, marvelous eggs!  I've got two great discoveries.  

1.  Scrambled eggs are so much better when I Ninja the eggs - random act of inspiration yesterday morning as I was cracking the eggs in a bowl near the NutriNinja.  I still miss the super fluffy eggs made with milk, but this method has made a difference in texture that i like.

2.  Egg salad is good in lettuce wraps.  Most days when I peel a hard boiled egg, (and if I'm not wolfing it down in 4 bites on my way out the door), I salivate for an English muffin, or a rice cake, to slather the egg salad on. Lettuce is a suitable crunchy substitute.

Amazed at myself sometimes!

I made the decision to do a Whole46 for all of Lent.  I'm a little jealous that you are all almost done.  Hmmmmm......should have thought about this before I made the commitment, but I'm sticking with it.  

I hope to hear lots of good outcomes from everyone when you're finished.

I made the decision to do a Whole46 for all of Lent.  I'm a little jealous that you are all almost done.  Hmmmmm......should have thought about this before I made the commitment, but I'm sticking with it.  

I hope to hear lots of good outcomes from everyone when you're finished.

I'll be continuing on until Easter too as I am doing this for Lent.  I believe there are a number of others so you'll still have support!

Still in my bed with the flu here. I hate forcing myself to eat when I don't feel like it. I miss my tiger blood and my healthy sleeping. Can't wait to kick this. M1 today was applepie larabar and a handful of cashews. Best I could do. M2 was a grass fed burger veggies and cantaloupe. M3 is going to be some nice homemade chicken soup. The chicken was on sale at earth fare. Any ideas how I got this sick when we've been clean eating for so long and ingesting so many antioxidants??? My daughter had it about 10 days ago but I really thought my immunity was up.

RWilk44, feel better soon! It sucks that even with all the healthy eating, you still got sick. Remember - flu virus have been preying on us for a very, very long time - they're really good at it. Even the best diet in the world won't make you flu-proof...

Ahh typed a long paragraph and its gone!

My whole30 ended one day earrly, St. Patrick celebration got to me and had some wine.

I do not regret, I am proud and still will continue eating Paleo way.

I probably will repeat Whole30 again soon.

Wishing everyone Best of luck.

Thank you so much for all the support everyone!!

Woohoo! Day 30! Well done everyone who has made it this far, whether it's the last day for you or the two thirds mark.

My digestion problems improved dramatically after stopping eating eggs. I hope I can eat eggs again but looks like 3 per day every day was too many.

The reintro schedule I had planned has gone a bit off since there will be two occasions of eating out this weekend, also both Chinese food which may be hard to navigate. So I might get through the weekend on best efforts, clean up my diet again at the start of next week, and then start the reintros.

Woohoo! Day 30! Well done everyone who has made it this far, whether it's the last day for you or the two thirds mark.

My digestion problems improved dramatically after stopping eating eggs. I hope I can eat eggs again but looks like 3 per day every day was too many.

The reintro schedule I had planned has gone a bit off since there will be two occasions of eating out this weekend, also both Chinese food which may be hard to navigate. So I might get through the weekend on best efforts, clean up my diet again at the start of next week, and then start the reintros.

Hi Ytu

Well done on your W30

Hope you can eat eggs again - breakfast is so much better with an egg or 2

I am still mourning the loss of them having gone AIP

BUT my bloating has almost gone and my tummy is nearly flat for the 1st time in years

Not sure if it is eggs / nightshades / nuts / seeds / coffee ? - or the whole lot  

Am going to run on with AIP for another while - partly to see if there are any other improvements and partly as I am scared of having another bad reaction

Was thinking about you earlier this week as I have been planning a trip to London (in the summer) and remembered that there were some good looking paleo / primal food stands at Camden Market (if you are ever that way)

Zoe

Wooooo!! Day 30!! Congratulations to all who have come this far. 

So - who's going to stay Whole30-compliant for the rest of Lent? 

Who's going to do reintroductions?

If we talk about reintroductions on this thread, will it bother the folks who are staying compliant throughout Lent?

Archived