Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

This kimchee I got from the farmers market, usually I buy a Korean brand from the Chinese supermarket (not sure if compliant). I want to try making my own, though.

Glad you're feeling better, Zoe!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ytu,

I also had indigestions and felt so bloated.

But, at least we are conscious of our bodies and can observe what foods causes what.

I noticed I get really bloated after red meat and going to eliminate it this week and will see if there is any difference.

How is everyone else doing? Its official a single digits count down. For me 8 days to go :-)

I've been drowsy this week. I blame the switch to Daylight Savings Time. I definitely was short of sleep on Sunday night: I had a bad dream about oversleeping my alarm that woke me up at 3 AM, then I finally got back to sleep in time for the actual alarm to go off at 5 AM. Which felt like 4 AM. I feel like I've been trying to catch up on sleep since then. 

On my first Whole30 attempt last November, I flunked out on Day 22. Today is Day 22. I have lunch & dinner already planned. So - barring unforseen calamity - I will make it further on this Whole30 than I did on my last attempt! I really think I will make it all the way through this Whole30 & I'm planning to do the re-introduction schedule too.  Very excited!

Angledge-you can do it!!!

Anyone has the re-introduction schedule? Is there a link to it?

I have a work event the next day after 30 days, there is going to be lots of alcohol and samples of food to try out. I will try to be careful.

MeadowLily, you are close to sounding like the Bene Gesserit "Litany Against Fear" from Dune: "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing... only I will remain."   

Fat is not a feeling.  beach.gif

AggieS, here's the sample 10-day reintroduction:

http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

If you started your Whole30 on Ash Wednesday, the last day of reintroduction (gluten grains) falls on Palm Sunday  :)

And DO be careful when you start to re-introduce things. When I flunked out of my first Whole30 attempt, I was NOT careful when I "reintroduced" beer, pizza, & dessert all in one meal. The result was.... ugly.

I maybe...kind of....wish I'd had more "ugly" after my last W30.  I didn't do a re-introduction, but continued to eat pretty close to W30...but let things creep in slowly.  So I never really noticed a big difference in anything.  It was a slow return to bad eating habits.  Guess I'm trying to say that I don't notice a huge difference either way...eating W30 or not.  That's kind of sad, because I feel like I'm working very hard to stay on W30, but not sure it's worth it.  I was hoping W30 would help with a bad hip (maybe by reducing systemic inflammation), help with some weight loss, help with itchy skin (but as the weather warms up, that goes away anyway), help with some hormone crazies (peri-menopause), etc.  Don't get me wrong, I think it helps SOME...just maybe not in proportion to the amount of effort it takes.

That said, I'm still trucking along.  Just had a conversation with my mom about homemade mayo. 

Mom: How many calories is in that?

Me:  Um, I don't know, haven't figured it out.  With W30, it doesn't matter. 

Mom: Well, if it's not lower in calories, why would I eat it? 

Me: Because it's healthier!

Mom:  So?  You know a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

Me:  Sigh...

To put this in perspective...my mom has struggled with her weight all her life, too.  The calorie restriction obviously hasn't worked.  Well, it did...when she was taking phentermine and eating 600 cal/day.  But guess what?  She regained 15 of the 35 lbs she lost, kept trying to do the phentermine again, increasing the dosage, etc, and still couldn't  lose the weight again.  Now she's on THREE blood pressure medications (had been 2), along with being diabetic.  Her husband is also diabetic, on 2 medications for that, on another 2 for cholesterol and triglycerides, he smokes, and continues to hoard chocolate and eat huge amounts of junk.

AggieS, here's the sample 10-day reintroduction:

http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

If you started your Whole30 on Ash Wednesday, the last day of reintroduction (gluten grains) falls on Palm Sunday  :)

And DO be careful when you start to re-introduce things. When I flunked out of my first Whole30 attempt, I was NOT careful when I "reintroduced" beer, pizza, & dessert all in one meal. The result was.... ugly.

You know what I wish, Angledge.. we had our body composition pre-Whole 30 rather than weight.  This is where the rubber meets the road.   If we knew how we've traded up for lean muscle mass rather than weight loss, many would not feel that their results were less than stellar.   

So do not be discouraged, Cinagain.   If we knew the real stats, there would be some serious Euphoria Bumps out there.   We can't judge our bodies by our skin and bones.  Lean muscle mass is the BIG WIN.

Hey everyone! It took 20 days, but finally on Monday I started to feel like myself again! Staying on plan whilst feeling so terrible is easily one of the hardest things I've ever done, and I'm so proud of myself for still being here, but after getting through the ugly stage (and my saint of a boyfriend putting up with me!) it doesn't actually feel too hard anymore, I tried some new recipes and I'm really enjoying the food!

My dreams are the worst thing though, I'm not even dreaming of any delicious treats, just things like a friend cooks for me and uses vegetable oil and I just go along with it because its almost over anyway, and I wake up annoyee with myself; I'm determined to not actually do that, I'm gonna finish this!

I suppose, though, I have to say that I'm no longer doing a whole 30 - my job requires me to get my body fat percentage measured regularly, and yesterday I was due for a test. Guess what you guys? My weight has shifted a mere 100g (could be anything, time of day etc) but my BF%? Down 4%!! That puts me right at the lower end of where my coaches want me, and I'm delighted! MeadowLily, I agree completely, I wish everyone could measure their w30 progress this way at the end, because someone in my position who had only the scale as a measure might be seriously discouraged, but even after 20 days of quite frankly misery, I am SO glad I'm still here, and plan to eat this way throughout my competitive season...I honestly think whole30 is what's going to give me the edge I've been needing!

Day 23, one week to go!!

Hi All Day 23, still living the Whole30 way.

Jazmin- congrats! You are definitely going to make it.

I'm participating in a workplace health screening this morning ( no coffee ). I figure I just will tell the weigh-in person to not tell me...The health screening is free and I haven't had this done in over two years. I feel great- hopefully the results will be encouraging.

Can't believe one day from today will be our last day. Or is it the first day of a new way of eating...

Have a great day 23.

Wow, Jazmin, what EXCELLENT results! Since you didn't lose much weight but your BF% dropped, that means you've added muscle mass, right? 

AND you've tamed your sugar dragon??

AND your boyfriend hasn't fled for the hills???   ;)

Congratulations!!!!

You can use homemade mayo on anything.  As a little side dip for roast, chicken, pork, roasted potatoes/veggies, burgers.   :D

Are you trying to vicariously enjoy mayo through others, you ol' mayo fiend, you!

XdKT4WZ.jpg

Hi all! I started my whole 30 on February 16 and just found your thread. Hope you don't mind if I pop in. I know everyone is getting close to finishing up so just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. I'm nervously excited for the re-intros to see how my body does. So far with this whole thing I felt great and definitely can tell I am slimming up. My sugar cravings are so much better and I was a nightly wine drinker and I can honestly say I haven't even thought about it in the last two weeks. Pretty great for me. Hoping that I can continue that forward.

Happy Friday everyone! How is everyone doing going into our last weekend on the Whole30? 

I'm still chugging along. My sugar dragon was ROOAARRING yesterday (I thought it was gone!) & I ate more Larabars than I should have. I've gotten to a point where I am tired of savory food - I want to taste something sweet!  I'm trying a couple of recipes this weekend that include sweet notes - braised cabbage with apples, pork cooked with pears, mocha-rubbed pot roast. Hopefully I can walk the line between "broadening my taste palate to stave off food boredom" & "encouraging the stupid sugar dragon". We'll see. 

Happy Friday everyone! How is everyone doing going into our last weekend on the Whole30? 

I'm still chugging along. My sugar dragon was ROOAARRING yesterday (I thought it was gone!) & I ate more Larabars than I should have. I've gotten to a point where I am tired of savory food - I want to taste something sweet!  I'm trying a couple of recipes this weekend that include sweet notes - braised cabbage with apples, pork cooked with pears, mocha-rubbed pot roast. Hopefully I can walk the line between "broadening my taste palate to stave off food boredom" & "encouraging the stupid sugar dragon". We'll see. 

Give your remaining Larabars away to anyone who's not doing a Whole 30.   They reignite the passion for all things sweet and snackity.

They stir up plans for a food explosion after a Whole 30 or Whole 40, 60, 90.   Don't let Larabars sweep you off your feet.  :rolleyes: 

Give your remaining Larabars away to anyone who's not doing a Whole 30.   They reignite the passion for all things sweet and snackity.

They stir up plans for a food explosion after a Whole 30 or Whole 40, 60, 90.   Don't let Larabars sweep you off your feet.  :rolleyes: 

LOL, I never lost the passion for all things sweet and snackity.

TGIF! One more week-gonna stay close to Whole30, Have developed quite a taste for real food. I'm flying to CA for a family reunion next Thursday afternoon, visiting for the week-Spring Break. Can't wait!!

I've never had a Larabar, what's the main ingredient? They sound yummy. Hope you have a great weekend.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not ditching the Larabars. I had one bad day where I ate them more than I should have, but they have their good points, which - for me - make it worth it to keep them in the house. They (when eaten with Epic bars) are portable, carry-in-my-pockets fuel to take onto the ski slopes. They are a quick snack when I have underestimated my activity levels & get hungry in the afternoon. And - also important - I like eating them! They are tasty, & they are healthier than the snacks I used to grab (like candy bars). 

Ideally, I would eat enough at each of my meals to perfectly carry me to the next meal without either hunger pangs or feeling overfull. But I don't live in an ideal world, & likely never will. So, having some quick, portable snacks - that don't represent an ideal source of food but yet aren't a terrible food choice - is something I will always have & need. For me, those snacks include Epic bars & Larabars.

Angledge, I agree with you! ;)  I've had 2 Larabars since starting this W30.  They're NOT a candy bar to me.  They don't incite a riot...er...sugar binge.  They do, however, provide some calories when needed.  For me, in some ways, having a juicy sweet orange creates more a sugar craving than a Larabar...maybe because the bars are so dense. 

Hi All!  I didn't know about this thread.  I'm doing this for Lent too.  I've been Paleo, but this is my first Whole40.  I found the forum a couple days ago and figured out I'm not eating enough.  I'm still trying to fix that, but I'm feeling better than I was, so something must be going right.  My problem is my gym time.  That and I have a 20yo daughter that eats all my pre-made food out of the fridge.  She gave up fast-food for Lent.  I'll take it!  :)

Archived