Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

Angledge, I buy a fresh salsa from Earth Fare.  I've tried making it myself and it's just not as good as what I buy.  Nothing in it but compliant ingredients.  I LOVE mixing it with mayo for a dressing.

cckern, I found out a few days ago that when my son made homemade spaghetti sauce (during my first W30), he added sugar.  Not a lot, but it was there.  This is why I'm not always a stickler for re-starts.  Did it ruin my W30 because it was there and I didn't know it?  Of course not!  I'm hoping to get him to make it again this time, without the sugar, so it's all baby steps.  Good for you for finding that sneaky sugar, but you also need to celebrate the successes!

Zoe, yes, post menus.  I have days with more bloat/bowel/stomach irritability when I'm on W30, but it's usually related to how much onion I've eaten, how much kale, etc.  I don't eat a lot of vegs normally, so this way of eating is always a bit of a "shock" to the system, but at least it's in a healthy way.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is everyone doing?  You know that, statistically, the next couple of days have the highest "drop out" rate!  Don't do it!  For me, I'm past the first week's enthusiasm and white knuckling (I will NOT drink sweet tea), so in some ways, it's easier.  But now is the time I start missing other things.  For example, I'm not usually a milk drinker...but about now, I start wanting a glass of skim milk.  And after the first week, I'm like "So, have I lost a gazillion pounds yet?  How 'bout now? Now?"  PLUS the little voice that says "TWENTY more days?  Really?  No kidding?" starts in...

So I go on auto-pilot in a way.  Just keep doing what I'm doing, try NOT to count the days, tell myself that the biggest changes happen in the last week, etc.  But perhaps more than anything, I try to squash those negative thoughts and just say "Yeah, I AM doing this for 30 days. It's not up for discussion or debate."

cckern928

Agree "nasty sneak up on you" ingredients suck 

I get caught out with gluten for my sons and husband from time to time when they change recipes 

I'm going to formally change my name to PUFFA FISH - not only am I puffed up but I am getting spikey

I have a full on weekend - so good luck to all 

Zoe  

Day 10, Relatively bad day for me today. My salad lunch just felt completely uninspiring and as it hit home time from work, I just felt completely drained. Thankfully with the weekend here I can relax, and try a few new recipes, try and get some lunches prepared that will be a bit more fun!

Day 10 my three positive:

1) I did not need my bulletproof coffee this morning

2) slept like a baby

3) Still enjoying my new recipes, cauliflower rice is roasting in the oven and making shrimp stir fry.

Hang in there everyone, let's prove the statistic wrong and we will power through the " drop out dates" We are 1/3 done! Yay!

Morning of day 11 here. My negatives would be

- digestion not sorted itself out, not quite constipated but not going as much as I should either

- woke up at 3.30 last night and couldn't properly get back to sleep afterwards so I'm exhausted!

I'm going to get some epsom salts for magnesium baths as that might help with both. Had a warm water with lemon juice this morning in the hope that that would move things along. I was told last time round too many sweet potatoes can cause constipation so might limit those.

The second problem happened during my first whole30 too and I never found a solution to it though it went away in the final week. Really hope it doesn't start happening regularly this time round. I never normally have a problem with sleep so it's a frustrating side effect.

Hi all ...

I have to laugh! I came down stairs and grabbed a cup of coffe ( thanks be to Keurig). Turned on the tv hoping to catch the morning headlines... I sat on the couch in a daze a realized I was and had been watching the fairly odd parents for 20 minutes.

I am truly lost.

Then I read the timeline again and felt a little better

i just need to make it through the day

Somehow my teens talked me in to ice skating at the river rink tonight ( also must have been in a daze) and the weather is postin 17 degrees for 7:00 pm .... Ugh

I am praying I will wake up with my faculties soon

Carol

I inadvertently screwed up yesterday.  I was excited to make a compliant meal for my kids and hubby would like - venison stew!!  I was making a tomato based version and planned to season it with my Wildtree Absolutely Onion mix.  I really didn't think I had to look at my can of "crushed tomatoes" ingredients, so I didn't initially and threw them in the crockpot.  Then, I grabbed the dry onion mix.  I knew Wildtree didn't put in plastics in spices and were largely organic.  Just as I was measuring it out, I spun the container around.  First ingredient = "Evaporated Cane Juice" = non-compliant!  I was so disappointed. 

cckern928, As a Wildtree user myself, I worked through the catalog for what is Paleo compliant, and what is Whole 30 compliant. Whilst a great organic, non GMO, no nuts company, Wildtree does have some things here and there that just won't make it in our world (and Absolutely Onion is one of them for sure!). Next weekend, we are hosting a paleo meal prep workshop for our gym, and bc it's in the middle of this Whole 30, it will have the added benefit of being compliant! Sneaky, isn't it?  :ph34r:

A positive that I have derived from this W30 has to do with my coffee intake: If I have a bulletproof, I typically only have one or MAYBE two. But as a matter of course at work, I can't make BP coffees, so I just bring coconut cream/milk and have that in my coffee. Turns out this means I have NO COFFEE BREAKS (I have a coffee dragon!!). So I forgo the water through the day in place of coconut creamed coffee. NO GOOD! That said, if I do NOT bring coconut cream, and drink it black, I'll have a cup. And then switch over to hot water, cold water, water water...for the rest of the day. Magic! This was a great thing to learn, as I'm back to drinking water a bunch again, and I know what makes me stop drinking it, too, now. 

Have a great, refreshing weekend, everyone. 

Hey everyone I have a problem

You know that episode of friends where fun bobby isn't fun anymore cause he's sober?

I think that's me right now, but sugar is my alcohol. I've been irritable, sad, and downright nasty to people that are dear to me for almost the whole time I've been doing this. I'm not myself at all. I can't put it down to anything but cutting out the sugar, of which I ordinarily consume abnormal amounts of (I'm talking two bags of cookies, 6 cadbury's creme eggs, and about 200-400g of any other chocolate a day) and its making the whole thing horrible for me cause I'm not massively noticing the positives I just feel sad all the time.

Can anyone relate?!

Happy 11th day!

So far I have only two positives- feeling less bloated and drinking lots of water like never before.

Last night I had a dream where unconsciously I grabbed a bag of crackers and as I bit on one, I realized I am not supposed to eat it and I spit it out LOL.

I did not sleep well, tossed a lot :(

Also, getting tired of just cooking. Felt lazy and had emergency food Lalabar-apple pie with apple for breakfast. I hope I won't crash and it will last till lunch. Totally feeling uninspired to cook tonight. I am going out for lunch so thats going to be interesting, but the place has lots of healthy food choices.

Also, feeling little irregular, but drinking lots of water seems to help.

I can see why statistic says that some this is the time people usually give up, hang in there everyone, we can do it! We only have one body and we need to treat it kindly and it will be kind to us :-) Have a great day everyone!!

Aggie

Day 11 so far has been much better, Took a long walk with the dog, had a nice breakfast and generally just felt more upbeat today.

@Zoe, thanks, I can generally do 3 meals no probs, just lunch that day felt a bit bland and eating for functional reasons rather than for pleasure.

Well, bad me. :(  I just have NOT been hungry today.  Woke up with a sore throat, so I've had 2 small bowls of sweet potato soup.  Yup...no protein.  Just the soup (sweet potato, onions, spices, coconut oil...it's a savory soup) and water.

Trying to get motivated enough to fix some chicken salad, maybe some scallops, roast some brussel sprouts...something...

Well, bad me. :( I just have NOT been hungry today. Woke up with a sore throat, so I've had 2 small bowls of sweet potato soup. Yup...no protein. Just the soup (sweet potato, onions, spices, coconut oil...it's a savory soup) and water.

Trying to get motivated enough to fix some chicken salad, maybe some scallops, roast some brussel sprouts...something...

I just wanted to say that I felt the same. Not hungry at all this am and woke up with some sore throat.

But I forced myself to eat whatever is recommended. Hang in there :-)

Hi All,

Next Sunday we move our clocks forward; soon after that the First Day of Spring (March 20) and reintroduction phase of Whole30. It will be here before we know and by then our bodies will fully be reaping the benefits of healthy/whole eating.

Jazmin and anyone else getting a little frustrated- What a feat you have taken on. I must admit Whole30 hasn't been too bad for me because I had weaned myself off sugar and grains in January after reading Grain Brain. The movie "Fed Up" helped me to want to change my eating habits and served as another motivator. Gotta see it! Then Whole30 shows up in my life and has been the perfect avenue (at the perfect time) for me to shift into a healthier lifestyle. Also, experiencing my dad in his final years live with dementia was heart breaking and lit a fire under me to learn more about how lifestyle impacts our quality of life especially as we age. The science community knows the horrible effects of sugar and a high carb diet on our precious brains/bodies. They also know we are a nation very addicted to sugar-it is BIG business. Two other things that have helped me tremendously-: 1. If you don't have the book, "It Starts with Food" get it, read it- knowledge is power and the book will help you understand why you are doing what you are doing. 2. The other tool that has been extremely helpful is the Whole30 Daily. I signed up a few days late, but the Whole 30' team fixed it so I got on the right day. Sorry for the rambling on-hang in there- you are still fun and wonderful, you are just trying to make some REALLY big changes. You're a smart girl and you will figure out solutions-just keep seeking them.

Peace.

Today was... less than ideal but still compliant. I had a great meal at a restaurant for dinner - an ahi tuna salad & sweet potato fries. 

Going skiing tomorrow - got to put some thought into some snacks I can carry in my ski jacket.

11 days down.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for that, I have read it starts with food, and when I'm doubting myself I just open it up somewhere and read about what foods are doing to my body and it keeps me hanging on, but I hadn't considered signing up to the emails, I'm a little strapped for cash (especially eating this way!) But I've read so many people recommend them that I may just bite the bullet.

What a brilliant supportive group we have here, thanks everyone, day 12 and counting! This is now the furthest I've ever gotten in a whole 30!

Sunday, Day 12. Looking for a great chili recipe? Check out Paleo Crock Pot Chili Recipe http://paleonewbie.com/paleo-crockpot-chili-recipe. It's got a pretty good kick so if you like a more mild chili you might want to cut back on the jalapeño or cayenne. Have a great day and I hope you all have a good plan heading into our 3rd week. Planning and prep has been a major key for this to work-for me. Food is so yummy, feels good to be in charge of it as opposed to it (food) having it's hooks in me. Sugar hook, grain hook, wine hook be gone-I want to be the one that got away-swim with me to freedom. Corny, I know. ☺️

Hi everyone, I've been silent for a few days but still kicking with this. My daughter's friend told me I looked radiant yesterday and I just had to chuckle--me? radiant? But I'll take the compliment. I should have told her it's all the kale :)  We are 1/3+ there and we can do this. One thing that gets me down is that food is constantly in my thoughts. I wish meals were more utilitarian--fuel for the body and all of that but right now I think about what I'm going to fix all the time.

Biggest positive for me is the sleep--very deep, lots of dreams. I would like to get motivated back to yoga and some serious exercise.

Black coffee is still my friend. I thought I would miss the 1/2 and 1/2 but really have not.

Karen320--My mother has Alzheimer's as well as osteoporosis and it has given me serious pause about my health and lifestyle. I have requested Grain Brain from the library after you mentioned the book and looking forward to that read.

Hey Everyone!

I havent been reading this for a while because of work - but im catching up right now. Day 12. The hardest for me was last weekend i went to a baby shower with a desert table and chocolate fondue! And going to "Happy Hr" with coworkers on Friday after a full week of teaching makes it really hard not to drink! 

Does anyone have good Breakfast/Meal 1 recipes that don't involve eggs? I feel like ive been eating ALOT of eggs the last few days.

Does anyone have good Breakfast/Meal 1 recipes that don't involve eggs? I feel like ive been eating ALOT of eggs the last few days.

Leftovers are a popular option. Anything you eat at your other two meals, you can have at meal 1.

This topic has been discussed in depth in the forum in the past. Google Whole30 non-egg breakfast to get links to past discussion threads.

Im reading all your posts about the kill days - they are making me smile - and last night i told my friends i thought that i had been lucky enough to skip these days and didnt want to kill anyone - but then i realized maybe that "kill" feeling was disguised in getting extra super frustrated with all my 2nd and 3rd graders!!

Sorry I've been MIA. I've done well so far. Sugar monster is gone... however, the mouse in me is very much alive and right now I would kills for a piece of parmesan cheese... a big block of cheese. I do miss my oatmeal in the morning.. I'm not sure how many more eggs I can eat. I'm getting sick of eggs in the morning.  I could never get used to coffee without my stevia and almond milk, so I stopped coffee and I've been drinking green tea instead. 

Do you guys have other breakfast options?

Archived