Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

Gabi, pick a favorite meal...any meal...and eat that for breakfast. ;)  No one said it had to be eggs.  Or when making M3, make extra and use that for M1 the next day.

I DID have eggs for breakfast LOL, but I love my egg, sausage, kale, and onion scramble.  That's unusual for me...used to hate eggs in the morning.

I'm trying to do better today...yesterday, I snacked entirely too much.  It was all W30 foods, but it felt like a "nibble here, nibble there" kind of day.  When I really think back to it, though, it wasn't that bad.  It just *felt* bad.

I've hit a slump.  Feeling blue, blue, blue.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I'm michaela and I started my W30 on Ash Wednesday but just came looking for support today. Jazmin-I feel you and your "Fun Bobby" scenario, I'm living it right now! Crabby, angry, short tempered-even my yoga class this morning didn't alter my mood. I've asked my family repeatedly to bear with me but I don't even want to hang out with me right now! Can a W30 veteran please tell me it will get better soon?

• Administrators

Hey everyone I have a problem

You know that episode of friends where fun bobby isn't fun anymore cause he's sober?

I think that's me right now, but sugar is my alcohol. I've been irritable, sad, and downright nasty to people that are dear to me for almost the whole time I've been doing this. I'm not myself at all. I can't put it down to anything but cutting out the sugar, of which I ordinarily consume abnormal amounts of (I'm talking two bags of cookies, 6 cadbury's creme eggs, and about 200-400g of any other chocolate a day) and its making the whole thing horrible for me cause I'm not massively noticing the positives I just feel sad all the time.

Can anyone relate?!

Hi Jazmin, your best bet while you're getting used to not eating sugar is to make sure you get enough of the starchy veggies. We typically have folks start with one fist sized serving a day but if you are feeling extra down/cranky/withdrawal symptoms, feel free to add to every meal until you start to feel better. Sweet potatoes, rutabaga, carrots, parsnips, turnips, beets etc. You'll feel better soon.

One more thing.....when that sugar "need" hits, give yourself anything but something sweet including fruits, dried fruits and nuts. Protein and fat together are your best bet for killing those cravings as quickly as possible.

Day 15 half way there!  I am feeling better!  The tiredness is gone!  I am in need of new recipes, I am searching, last few I made weren't too yummy :(   I am trying to cook to keep things fresh and me motivated.  I need a good recipe for chicken and beef roast if anyone has a good one!  Yeah to half way!  This is my first Whole30! :P  :P  :P  :P

LisaCooley, this is my favorite beef roast recipe: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/29/crock-pot-mocha-rubbed-pot-roast/

I went skiing yesterday with my partner & brother. The resort food is stupidly overpriced & not very good anyway, besides which I didn't think I would be able to find anything Whole30-compliant. So I ate a huge breakfast on the way up to the mountains & brought a bunch of Epic bars & Larabars. I don't normally get hungry on the slopes anyway, so they were enough to tide me over. We stopped at a pizza restaurant on the way home, but they have an all-you-can-eat salad bar - which I demolished. Nomnomnomnomnom. 

I... kind of can't believe I'm going to write this next sentence. I didn't want the pizza. Seriously. I failed my last Whole30 because I drove by my favorite pizza joint in Denver & there was a parking spot open in front of it. That's all it took. That's how strong my pizza dragon normally is. But last night, I watched my brother & partner eating their pizza. I thought about how sick I felt when I ate pizza & ruined my last Whole30. I looked at my plate, with spinach, black olives, crunchy bell peppers, grilled chicken, giant carrot spears, olive oil dressing, & I thought about how much my body was going to appreciate getting all those nutrients vs. getting a dose of gluten & cheese. And it was easy to say, "No, thanks."

Thanks for the recipe angledge!  Will give it a try tomorrow!  Kudos on not giving in with the pizza!  I have to say if I went off right now, not even sure what I would want to eat???  Right, not craving things, weird right???  Good job fighting the pizza demons!!

Hi guys! It's been crazy and I haven't been on this forum, but I'm still 'here'...Great to see everyone doing well! I also started this W30 on Ash Wednesday...but prior to that I had another W30 and a couple of failed attempts....

I feel like I am slowly becoming more natural at this (slowly-my life is still punctuated by too many 'munching nuts and raisins all day' days). I am realizing that I'm very sensitive to dairy, which I never would have believed, since I considered cheese a staple food :) I am slowly getting better in social situations at just saying 'no thanks' to food that isn't good for me. No explanations, no time wasted wondering if I offended anyone, made anyone uncomfortable....

I really love what this does for LIFE: because it takes the focus off food as the reward/main event, I find myself reading a little bit here or there, working a little bit on crocheting, or actually just enjoying a conversation (who would have known that good conversation can happen in the absence of food!?!? :) )

I am also making tiny steps towards a stronger sense of delayed gratification-yes it's crazy right now, yes I'm exhausted right now, but in _____(insert amount of time) I will have a chance to rest. I can handle it till then. Rather than thinking that eating will give me energy (I'm not talking about eating to resolve hunger, but munching, which actually makes me just want to sleep-NOW.)

Sooooo......I guess some notable non-scale victories in my world. I haven't lost any weight, although I think my waistline is a bit better, and my face certainly looks less puffy and old....I'm not that old so that is nice!

Looking forward to the rest of the journey!

• Administrators

I am slowly getting better in social situations at just saying 'no thanks' to food that isn't good for me. No explanations, no time wasted wondering if I offended anyone, made anyone uncomfortable....

I am also making tiny steps towards a stronger sense of delayed gratification-yes it's crazy right now, yes I'm exhausted right now, but in _____(insert amount of time) I will have a chance to rest. I can handle it till then. Rather than thinking that eating will give me energy (I'm not talking about eating to resolve hunger, but munching, which actually makes me just want to sleep-NOW.)

Love these two points, GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!

• Administrators

Found this index of over 1,000 shared recipes with photos. All paleo and AIP (no nightshades, seeds, nuts, etc). http://www.phoenixhelix.com/paleo-aip-recipe-roundtables/

Cool resource. Just remember, just because it's "paleo" and AIP, doesn't mean it qualifies for Whole30.  You'll still need to be diligent in making sure that the recipes follow the letter and the spirit of the program.  (Just in the first week I clicked on, in the 15 recipes posted, 6 are not compliant either due to what they are (cookies, fudge) or due to added sweeteners).  

We are almost halfway through! Yay! We are not even done and I am already worried after I finish 30 days, am I going to gain more weight, am I going to be able to continue eating the same? Lol I guess I should worry about it once I reach day 30.

Is anyone exercising and also doing Whole30? I lost motivation to work out thinking it might be too much. However, I do need to train for my coming 15K run on 3/22. Any runners here? Any tips?

So far it has been good, loving the energy and I noticed today that I am able to focus more at work. Sleep is still getting distrupted a little but I am not as tired.

Hey everyone, thanks for the support and advice earlier in the week!

Still here but still struggling to cheer up - not sure I'm finding this worth it at the moment as it's really affecting my life. I've been tired and as a consequence forgetful, and have had something very important stolen because I forgot to lock my car door when I was upset and frustrated about food.

Aggie, I've been exercising, as my job is a track and field athlete. Its not long distance running like youll be doing, but I've just taken to adding an extra meal immediately after training of carbs and protein, and adding carbs to breakfast in the form of sweet potato. If I don't do this I simply don't have the energy to get through two power or speed-endurance based sessions a day.

• Moderators

Is anyone exercising and also doing Whole30? I lost motivation to work out thinking it might be too much. However, I do need to train for my coming 15K run on 3/22. Any runners here? Any tips?

You might want to check out the Whole30 for Athletes section of the forum for lots of discussion on this.  As Jazmin mentions in her post, you'll need more starchy vegetables when you work out, and post-workout meals for sure. Depending on when you work out, you may also want pre-workout meals. The meal template describes what these should look like.

Aggie, I was hoping I'd have more energy to exercise but it hasn't really happened yet. Have been for slow runs at weekends only. Come on Tiger Blood...

Jazmin, sorry to hear about the theft, that sucks! Hang on in there though. We're at halfway point now so it should be all smoother sailing from here (at least that's what I found last time round - have more established routines and don't need to think about food quite so much in the second half).

Have a good day 15, everyone!

Congratulations on making it to the halfway point! Wow, day 15, way to go. Yesterday's Daily 30 was about kitchen gadgets. I ordered two of the ones featured and spent about $70.00 before 6:00am, gotta love Amazon. I figure the money I'm saving on wine and going out to eat more than covers the cost of my new toys. We have been exploring new recipes and it amazes me the amount of good stuff available for free or very low cost on the web. The Daily 30 has been a worthwhile investment as it has turned me on to other facets of a healthy lifestyle complete with links etc. I love seeing younger people involved with this cause because I worry that my generation really botched things up (born in 1958). The momentum of eating real food, whole food has got to continue. if you are still feeling lousy, then there has got to be a solution- add more fat? More variety? I wish I knew the answer-keep seeking. I love the freedom of not being controlled by food for example prior to Whole 30 you could put peanut M&Ms In front of me and I would eat them until they were gone or I was completely stuffed-no brakes. I hope for our day 15 reward we each give ourself a well-deserved pat on the back and continue on for the duration of this journey. Keep Rockin It!

AggieS, I'm a cyclist. I've been riding through this W30 adventure. It takes time to get used to it. I second what Jazmin said-I still need substantial carbs before and during distance stuff. Sweet potatoes, almond butter/raisins/dates work well for me. Anything in the neighborhood of an hour (even very intense stuff) I'm fine on just a couple of eggs or a handful of almonds, but multiple hour stuff I need carbs. And if I know I'm going long, I need carbs early and often. If I wait till an hour into the ride to start eating, I can't 'catch up' and end up bonking or being REALLLLLYYYYYY slow. That's been my experience so far. Regarding lack of energy, I find that I don't necessarily feel zippy at the start, kinda dead legs, but once I warm up and get into it (which usually takes about an hour and 2,000 feet of climbing for me) I have just as good or better staying power.

Jazmin, I have no idea what you're eating, and I'm certainly not an expert, but are you eating ENOUGH and are you eating enough starchy carbs at all meals? If you're seriously training you need a lot of physical support, especially if you're coming off a big sugar habit as you mentioned. I've been slowly easing into this paleo stuff over the past 4 or 5 years. Going W30, straight off of the standard athlete high sugar diet WHILE TRAINING is a big step. Give yourself a pat on the back for courage and persistence :)

On that note, I have decided I need a mini-goal in the midst of this W30 (or 40 I guess if we go all the way through Lent). I still am wrestling with 1) eating between meals 2) building meals around protein 3) slowing down and really enjoying food, rather than wolfing it, being done in 4 minutes, and wanting more.

So: I bought myself a nerdy cycling t-shirt I've been wanting, but I'm not going to wear it until I've posted 10 days of success on those 3 points. Then maybe I'll change my profile pic to that shirt :)

Have a great day everybody!

• Administrators

Hey everyone, thanks for the support and advice earlier in the week!

Still here but still struggling to cheer up - not sure I'm finding this worth it at the moment as it's really affecting my life. I've been tired and as a consequence forgetful, and have had something very important stolen because I forgot to lock my car door when I was upset and frustrated about food.

Aggie, I've been exercising, as my job is a track and field athlete. Its not long distance running like youll be doing, but I've just taken to adding an extra meal immediately after training of carbs and protein, and adding carbs to breakfast in the form of sweet potato. If I don't do this I simply don't have the energy to get through two power or speed-endurance based sessions a day.

Hey Jazmin, you might want to check out our athletes section of the forum, too.  Being tired and sad and forgetful all sounds like lack of carbohydrates.  If your job is an athlete you probably need the starchy veggies at every meal.  If you want, post a few days worth of typical food (including portion sizes), fluids and what your activity is like.  Include stress levels, sleep etc.  We can take a look and see if there is anything that pops out?

• Administrators

Does anyone know if Costco has compliant bacon or sausage.  I am going to a town that has a Costco and wondered if they did and if I can get a day pass.  Whole foods is in this town too?  Any luck there?  Thanks!  

Our Costco's "low sodium" bacon is technically compliant. It doesn't have any outlawed ingredients....but it's factory farmed pork which is much less than ideal. To be true, we do eat it when we want bacon or if I have a recipe that calls for it. If you're going to use it, don't save the fat for cooking.

http://whole9life.com/2012/03/bacon/

Yay! We are halfway through! Thank you very much everyone for your input! I was going to gym to do some running and I started feeling cold sick. I came home exhausted. Thank goodness dinner was cooking in crockpot and I am getting some rest.

I really hope I won't get worse.

Can I just say that I'm freakin' proud of myself right now? ;) I posted some stuff that I'm dealing with today in the Troubleshooting thread...mainly worried about quitting today. But instead, I stuck to it! Not a lot of food, but it's compliant.

M1: eggs and sausage (unfortunately, only about 1/2 a cup)

M2: w30 tuscana soup ( sausage, kale, onions, mushrooms, coconut milk...love this stuff!)

Snack: Orange...definitely not meal template, but I was driving and it sure beat the sweet tea and trail mix/junk that would have been my norm

M3: roasted chicken, broccoli, and mashed sweet potato, unsweet tea

That M3 was my big success, family meal out at a restaurant, lots of temptations, esp sweet tea. Have I mentioned how that's my main sugar dragon? Oh, I have? Like, a gazillion times? ;)

So, 1 day/10 on my no eating between/actual protein meals/slowing down goal....although slowing down was more an awareness of how fast I eat....I think I just inhale my first serving of anything, then slow down and taste seconds or thirds...often ending up eating more than is comfortable because I'm zoned out or looking for that carb rush.

Today, I'm going to actually set the 5 min timer on my phone at each meal. I bet I have to slow down to make my meals last 5 minutes! I hope not, but it will be an experiment :)

I'm also going to note down a couple quick and satisfying projects I can turn to in the "when the kids get home from school but before dinner when the house is absolute flippin' chaos and I'm exhausted" timeframe which is when I tend to munch....

Kudos Cinagain! special events are HARD-no getting around it. You should be proud of yourself!

Stravajunkie - I, too, eat like meals are a timed race. Here's something I've been trying - I put my fork in my off hand. I'm a leftie, so I eat with my fork in my right hand. This slows me down CONSIDERABLY - but it makes for a messier meal because my off hand is totally clumsy. That's why I've been doing it at lunch when no-one can see (I work from home & eat lunch alone).

Cinagain, that Tuscana soup sounds delicious - do you have a recipe you could share?

Day 16 today & I'm doing pretty well. My goal for this Whole30 has been to eat more fish. I made a batch of NomNom's spicy tuna cakes (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes) & having one as part of breakfast each day. I'm also going to make some salmon for dinner tomorrow (fish on Friday in a nod to Lenten traditions). If anyone has fish recipes they'd like to share, I'd appreciate it.

My partner (a native Texan) made me a batch of Whole30-compliant Texas Red chili, which I have been eating served over baked acorn squash & steamed kale. It is so, so good!

20150226_chili.jpg

Archived