olives

glustik6

Hey all - Day 1 here and looking forward to the next 29. I generally eat pretty healthy, but this plan will be a big change for me in terms of dairy because I used to eat an awful lot of greek yogurt! Anyways, can anyone tell me their experience with eating 1-2 handfuls of olives? I did one heaping handful of olives with lunch and it just feels like so many!! I used kalamata olives that are soaking in a brine (no sugar). I paired it with some leftover chicken, a bit of yam and a salad of green veggies and a couple small tomatoes. 

• Administrators

Oh, me and olives!  The black kalamata ones from Costco are a favourite but that same brand of garlic stuffed jumbo green ones are just absurdly good!  I think the brand is Tassos.

It probably seems like a lot because olives are generally seen as a condiment but you can definitely eat that many of them.  And because they are a whole, nutrient rich and highly flavourful food, your body will tell you when you've had enough.

Olive on!

I love me some kalamata olives in a salad. :) With the dressing on the salad, that's one fat, so I usually only add 1 handful of olives as a second fat source.

Play around and see what best satiates you for 4-5 hours after your meal.

Awesome, thanks for the replies! It seemed like a ton of olives, but they went down very easy lol.

ladyshanny - The costco kalamata olives are the ones I am eating lol and they are soon good. I'll have to try to other ones you mentioned. 

Oh those kalamatas from Costco--ohhh be still my beating heart! Love love love those! I have them in a Greek-esque salad with tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, water packed artichoke hearts and toss with olive oil and lemon juice and have over a bowl of chopped romaine. Sooo good! I like this with roast chicken--so yummy! 

• Administrators

I saw that Pearl has Olive in little tubes.  Does those work for the whole 30?

You would have to read the ingredients on the little tube and ensure that there are no non-compliant ingredients (soybean oil and sugar are two I would think of right away but check for everything).

The ingredients are olives, minced pimiento (water, pimiento, sodium alginate, guar gum, calcium chloride, potassium sorbate as a preservative, salt, and lactic acid.  

I am not sure what kind of olives I can buy.  They all seem to have something that doesn't work with whole 30.

Thanks,

Melanie

I am not sure what kind of olives I can buy.  They all seem to have something that doesn't work with whole 30.

Kalamata olives can be a good bet. They come in a jar. As always, check the ingredients.

If you happen to have an Italian or Greek specialty market near you, you'll have LOTS of olive choices there.

• Administrators

The ingredients are olives, minced pimiento (water, pimiento, sodium alginate, guar gum, calcium chloride, potassium sorbate as a preservative, salt, and lactic acid.  

Thanks,

Melanie

Those ingredients are alright but there are olives with less ingredients.  Costco brand "Tassos" is compliant in many areas, check the jars in your store if you have one.  I've found lots of compliant olives in my local specialty foods/fancy cooking store too.

• 4 months later...

Just the post I was seeking. My olives have those funky things in them as well (guar gum and such) so was making sure they were ok even though I know they aren't the best choice! Need to find more sources for better olives, anyone have any luck at Sams Club? 

Those Tassos olives at Costco with the Jalapeno and Garlic is literally the only thing I would miss if there was sugar involved... Before I got to ladyshanny's post, I had to check the fridge... I was literally sweating until I got to the no sugar part...

Have you tried Castelvetrano olives? They're sort of bright green. So complex and delicious!

I second that! I use them all the time

They're also great in cooked dishes such as compliant chicken cacciatore just smash them and remove the pits ahead of time or throw them in whole

Archived