Applegate turkey mini pepperoni

kmdchuckles

I'm having a hard time finding deli meats in the small town I live in. I missed the dextrose on the Applegate label the first few times forgetting that it is a code word for sugar. But then I was poking around their website and found this in the comments section on their website. "This sounds like a great product, but I'm a little confused how it can claim to be "sugar free" when dextrose is listed right in the ingredients! I'd love a truly sugar free turkey pepperoni if it were made available!

0 Applegate Response:

Hi Sara, thank you for your feedback. The use of some sugars in unavoidable. The curing/fermentation process requires the use of simple sugars like dextrose. These act as a necessary food source for the natural cultures involved in fermentation (just like using a pinch of sugar to activate yeast when baking bread.) Because these natural cultures consume most of the dextrose as they do their job in adjusting the product pH and fermenting our dry cured items, there is very little dextrose left over in the finished product. So, in theory, our dry cured products have very little (if any) dextrose in the finished product. Since there is a chance that some dextrose is left over and not consumed by the natural cultures, we must show “dextrose” in the ingredient statement on our label. The sugar content in some of our products (including the turkey pepperoni) is less than 1/2 percent of the whole product formulation. Typically the total sugar is .30 grams per serving. Per USDA Nutritional Rounding Rules, anything less than 1/2 is rounded down to zero. Thank you -Mike" source: http://www.applegate.com/products/natural-uncured-mini-turkey-pepperoni

So I guess my question is how is the dextrose in their pepperoni different than the sugar in water kefir which is approved?

• Moderators

Deli meats are always a relatively poor choice for your eating. Fresh, uncured meats, which are widely available, are your best choice. Deli meats are a bad habit to outgrow. No one improves their health with deli meats. At best, some deli meats don't make things worse. Honestly, you do not need Turkey pepperoni. You can do so much better. 

Because deli meats are a relatively poor choice, there is no good reason to make allowances for the possibility of a small amount of sugar in the final product in order to make them freely available. Water kefir and kombucha, however, do bring very useful probiotics to the table.

You're right, I don't need Turkey Pepperoni in my diet. Two things, I failed to mention are that I put my entire family of 5 on the Whole30 challenge, that's 3 school age kids (4,6,8) so it's really for them in their lunches periodically to mix things up because we don't eat pork and beef, so chicken, turkey and fish are where it's at for this family. For me, honestly, as a former vegetarian, tukey pepperoni is a bit SWYPO, either eat the real stuff or don't it at all. But again the kids. They are being so good about it! I thought my 4 year old would good through major sugar and carb withdrawals and battle me but it's day 4 and we are doing well. Well, other than my 6 year old throwing up at breakfast yesterday. She had only eaten a single blueberry!

Oh and by deli meat, I meant sliced turkey or chicken without carrageenan. We were already an all natural and mostly organic family, I was surprised our applegate farms and trader joes roasted turkey were off limits. Then I read about the carrageenan and understood. It's the big one for us to eliminate, had no clue about it. We only have a walmart, safeway and red apple (a small IGA store) in our town. Very limited unless I drive an hour to costco or Fred Meyer (Kroger).

• Moderators

You're right, I don't need Turkey Pepperoni in my diet. Two things, I failed to mention are that I put my entire family of 5 on the Whole30 challenge, that's 3 school age kids (4,6,8) so it's really for them in their lunches periodically to mix things up because we don't eat pork and beef, so chicken, turkey and fish are where it's at for this family. For me, honestly, as a former vegetarian, tukey pepperoni is a bit SWYPO, either eat the real stuff or don't it at all. But again the kids. They are being so good about it! I thought my 4 year old would good through major sugar and carb withdrawals and battle me but it's day 4 and we are doing well. Well, other than my 6 year old throwing up at breakfast yesterday. She had only eaten a single blueberry!

Many people who have children allow non-Whole30 things for their children, while not consuming those items themselves. Obviously, they're your kids, and it's your choice whether to make them adhere very strictly to the rules, or whether to allow them to have things that are more convenient for you and more familiar for them. I do not have children, but if I did, I think allowing them to have turkey pepperoni sometimes, especially if most of the time they're eating Whole30, is something I would be okay with, others might feel differently.  But, just to reiterate -- you're a grown up and know the rules, and are choosing to follow them. The turkey pepperoni is still out for you.

For more on doing a Whole30 with kids, I'd recommend googling Whole30 with kids, and checking out the Whole30 for Kids portion of the forum.

Sleeve, its just a choice I made decades ago. And falls into "all of the above" for reasons I don't want to eat it, from taste to environmental degradation to animal welfare to price to health (I guess in that order). I was a full vegetarian for 15 years and still prefer that way of eating, was even vegan at times. I willing to bet dairy is my trigger, but am curious to see if it might be something else.

Archived