Everything I've eaten for breakfast makes me want to gag!

Amy27

I usually skipped breakfast and subsisted on sugary coffee and snacks throughout my day. My lunch and dinner are fine, but I'd rather not eat breakfast. All I want is coffee and fruit :(

Is that technically not following whole30? Or is this something that will pass after the first week maybe? I can't stomach heavy foods or eggs in the morning and in the weekend my breakfast was always at lunch time!

• Moderators

Part of why you can't stomach breakfast is because you don't have it. If you start having it, you should be better able to cope with it.

It is important to have three template-based meals each day, to ensure you're eating enough. It is important to have breakfast within an hour of waking up to help regulate hormones (this is discussed in It Starts With Food). It is important not to just have fruit because just having fruit causes a spike in blood sugar, which will then lead to a crash later. Even if you don't feel like it does. Plus, having plenty of protein, fat, and veggies in the morning will help you avoid snacking throughout the day.

Technically, you could have fruit and coffee and still be Whole30 compliant -- but why do you want to just be "technically compliant" when you can try instead to really embrace the Whole30 and see exactly what it can do for you if you follow not only the letter of the law, so to speak, but get into the spirit of the thing too?

If you don't like heavy foods in the morning, try lighter ones. I like a creamy soup topped with whatever meat I have on hand -- start with the Golden Cauliflower Soup or the Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup from The Clothes Make the Girl.  Or try some chicken salad -- maybe something like this Avocado Sonoma Chicken Salad. For extra veggies try this Breakfast Salad. Sweet potatoes, to me, feel like breakfast food -- maybe have one baked, topped with coconut oil and cinnamon.

If you do this for 30 days, and don't feel even a little bit better, then go back to your fruit and coffee. But you won't know if or how it will affect you if you don't give it a try.

I feel fantastic already and have read the book a few times, I have it of course for reference. I've been choking down a template meal every day and it makes me nauseous lol. Probably because I've lived sooooo many years abusing my body and not starting off my day properly.... If I ever ate something at all it was a muffin or bagel haha.

I don't want to be technically compliant, I just don't like feeling like I'm pregnant every morning (no other way for me to describe it). By lunch and throughout the day I feel great again.... And because the book says you don't want to drink calories I haven't even done smoothies...

I cut out sugar cold turkey, feel good during the day and my mood is improving, but I feel so sick at breakfast :( I don't want anything...

• Moderators

Sorry you are suffering, Amy. My husband had a similar issue, partly due to having eaten so much fruit and carbs pre-Whole30, and partly because he didn't eat enough fat the first few days. Make sure you are eating enough fat at each meal, and hopefully in the next day or two your body will have adjusted.

Hang in there! This will pass.

Archived