Constipation and sugar

My entire family is on day 5 of our first whole30. My kids are 4, 6, and 8. The younger two both deal with overly firm stools. The 6 year old has seen significant improvement already. But the 4 year old (who also prolapses his rectum with every BM) is not seeing improvement, in fact he's swinging the other way. He has not gone off plan, is eating and drinking enough. However his fruit intake is high. He's a sugar monster and I think he's trying to feed his cravings with fruit. In general I'm trying to keep the kids at a single serving of fruit per meal. Wondering why he's not having more normal BMs. Is there something I could be missing or should restrict further?

How much water are they drinking?  That is a big one for hard stool.

Also how are there overall starchy veg consumption?  I know my first whole 30 I had bathroom issues too.  It was recommended that I eat sweet potato - and so I did.  That seemed to have got things moving.

But going back to water - the moment my stool is too hard for me to handle - I know I've not been drinking enough.

Ironically this is the one of my kids who drinks! I know he had at least 24 ounces of fluid yesterday. let's see, yesterday they had, a hard boiled egg, half a grapefruit and a banana-cocoa powder-coconut smoothie for breakfast, for lunch he ate chicken,cucumber and carrot rolled in sushi seaweed (his genius idea) and dinner was fish, asparagus, mashed cauliflower and salad. And they all got larabars for a snack at the store, he ate the whole thing even though I said only half (see sugar monster)! This reminds me, I need to journal food better. That's all from memory.

• Moderators

In addition to more water, definitely add starchy veg to their diet. Not just sweet potato, but any potato, squash, and root vegetable. Berries are the best fruit to help move things along. With berries and starchy veg they'll be getting both soluble and insoluble fiber. That should help. (And yes, larabars are basically candy bars. I suggest avoiding them.)

It sounds to me like they need more fat.  Less fruit and more fat.  

See if they will eat coconut manna (easy to make your own with flakes in a food processor).  Add organic coconut oil wherever you can.  It is known for having a cleansing / laxative effect.

What about raw nuts and seeds for some added fat and fiber?  Will they eat them?  

And, I must say as a mother of 3 boys a bit older than yours -- dried fruit / Larabars are definitely like candy, and they have the same effect on the kids' moods and behavior.

Thanks for the tips! The larabars will not be a regular thing. I took a nibble and also declared them a candy bar disguised as a health food.

As far as the starchy veg goes, we've had them everynight as a major part of our meals except last night. I really feel like its a sugar thing. Call it my gut instinct.

He thought solid coconut oil was ice cream and popped some in his mouth tonight. This kid!

Archived