odor analogy for post-W30

kirkor

The reintro can be tough for some people.  We hear all the time about people worried that they won't be able to eat their favorite things any more.  W30 skeptics say the bad reactions of reintros isn't the foods fault but it's our fault for flushing enzymes or something.  The recent 'Are the risks worth it?' thread is the latest example.

Well, a potentially very useful analogy popped in to my head yesterday!  Think about people who live & work around very strong smells:

- medical examiners (autopsies)

- fish mongers

- people with lots of cats and dirty litter boxes

- CAFO workers (manure)

- garbagemen

These people "get used to" very strong and unpleasant smells.  However, if they were to go to Hawaii for a month and then come back to their jobs, do you think they would notice the smell?!?!  Of course!  The smell is always there.

Gluten and legumes and the rest are always jacking with your guts.  Sugar is always jacking with your blood (and your mind).  We just don't notice it while we're "on the job" like a dude at Pike Place fish market.

Thoughts?

The Dude Abides.  

I8AxGWW.jpg?1

That was awesome, Kirkor.    I still think of your other analogy about the cell phone.   We  may drop the phone but that doesn't mean we stomp it into pieces because we dropped it.  

While it can be hard to think rationally when you're "in the moment", what helps me in these situations is to compare the 'screw it, I've already blown today' mentality with the idea of dropping your cell phone --- you wouldn't then jump on top of it, since it's already damaged, right?

Do you have a theory  to deal with the mind warp the scale throws at us?

• 2 years later...

Archived