February 1st

Stargazer93

ohhhhffff, Day 22. What a roller coaster this is.  I'm still on track but still struggling with a good day and then a bad day.  I can't believe how moody I am on this program.  I keep fighting thinking it will turn around but it is frustrating.  I'm going to try and add more greens to my diet to see if that helps.  I'm waking up bright eyed and bushed tail but my workouts are still sluggish, which is the reason I was doing the Whole30.

My husband made ribs last night, they were so good!! I tried making the Tangy BBQ Sauce from The Paleo Kitchen cookbook, but it was way too tangy.  I had to throw it out.  Loulabelle, how would I take out the tang?  I like vinegar but I don't know if it was the lemon or the cinnamon or what.  I tried adding more Dijon mustard but that did not help. LOL  Has anyone tried the Well Fed recipe?  I was going to do that one but didn't have all of the ingredients.

We found the BBQ to be too tangy as well!  I googled ways to tone down the vinegar, but a lot of them involved unapproved ingredients, so we ended up tossing it.

I made the tuna waldorf salad from the well fed book today for lunch, and could only eat two bites of it.   :(  Way too many scallions, and I only used half of what the recipe called for!

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We found the BBQ to be too tangy as well!  I googled ways to tone down the vinegar, but a lot of them involved unapproved ingredients, so we ended up tossing it.

I made the tuna waldorf salad from the well fed book today for lunch, and could only eat two bites of it.   :(  Way too many scallions, and I only used half of what the recipe called for!

Oh, it is so nice to know I am not the only one but sorry you didn't care for it either.  I thought maybe it was the lemon since it was a rather large one.

I have not tried the waldorf salad. I'm not much of an onion fan, so I usually only use half of what a recipe calls for as well.

I did make the Kalua Pork from nom nom yesterday for lunches and it is pretty good for only being three ingredients!

Not for lack of trying at least, we tried the coconut shrimp that was posted on the forum as well.  You definitely need to make sure that the coconut gets "toasted" or it doesn't taste very good.  The batch we accidentally "overcooked" turned out to be the best. lol

I asked my ex-chef boyfriend about this, he said sugar or something sweet would normally be used to balance something too tart but as we can't use that he said to use salt instead as that also works. Also try more balsamic vinegar which is naturally sweet & less ACV.

Oh man, off the top of my head? lol  onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, chili powder, paprika, dijon mustard, cinnamon, lemon, chicken stock and tomato paste plus or minus  :D  I think I should have done 1/2 the cinnamon but I don't know if the tang was too much vinegar or too much lemon.

Hello everyone!! Glad to see everyone is still doing great! Im still been on the straight and narrow!! :)

The past two weeks have been CRAZY for me!! ive really wanted to just throw in the towel and get a cheeseburger or have a "drink" with all this stress, but i have still resisted temptation! but that stress has come at a price...because of the lack of time and motivation to meal prep for the week, i havent been eating as well as i should and i think it has taken its tole...for example, i used to have eggs with lots of veggies for breakfast, but recently ive been grabbing a banana, some unsweetened apple sauce and a handfull of cashews, lunch im lucky if i get to eat, and dinner will be mostly just a protein...as a result of this ive been super tired lately, and im starting to get bloated again. i think the bloat may be a result of the cashews though :-( i didnt notice that there is cottonseed oil/and or peanut oil in the ingredients so this might be a culprit to the bloat? and now im kind of upset i missed that on the label, and hope that doesnt throw off my whole 30 :-(

...for example, i used to have eggs with lots of veggies for breakfast, but recently ive been grabbing a banana, some unsweetened apple sauce and a handfull of cashews, lunch im lucky if i get to eat, and dinner will be mostly just a protein...

JessMarie, this is my first W30 and I am far from an expert but I think that fruit is the category of the three we are supposed to be having the least of and your breakfast seems like a lot of fruit.  Is there any way you can make some hard boiled eggs?  I tend to steam them and am going to try to bake them a la Alton Brown but with your lack of time this may be the best method:  http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipes-and-more/cooking-school/hard-boil-eggs 

I've been making fritattas at night when I make my dinner and then heating them (or eating them cold) in the morning.  They are super easy, fast, and a great way to use leftovers.  My fast veggie is either greens or broccoli.  I bought chopped organic broccoli and I just microwave it in a container with the tiniest splash of water then salt and pepper (or hot sauce) it.  With the salad greens I through some in a ziploc, add onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and a bit of olive oil, shake and serve.  Probably sounds disgusting but for some reason I like it and it's super-fast.  

I also make big dinners so I can have the leftovers for breakfast or lunch.  

Don't know if you are able to do any of that or if I am helping or not but wanted to try.

JessMarie, this is my first W30 and I am far from an expert but I think that fruit is the category of the three we are supposed to be having the least of and your breakfast seems like a lot of fruit.  Is there any way you can make some hard boiled eggs?  I tend to steam them and am going to try to bake them a la Alton Brown but with your lack of time this may be the best method:  http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipes-and-more/cooking-school/hard-boil-eggs 

I've been making fritattas at night when I make my dinner and then heating them (or eating them cold) in the morning.  They are super easy, fast, and a great way to use leftovers.  My fast veggie is either greens or broccoli.  I bought chopped organic broccoli and I just microwave it in a container with the tiniest splash of water then salt and pepper (or hot sauce) it.  With the salad greens I through some in a ziploc, add onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and a bit of olive oil, shake and serve.  Probably sounds disgusting but for some reason I like it and it's super-fast.  

I also make big dinners so I can have the leftovers for breakfast or lunch.  

Don't know if you are able to do any of that or if I am helping or not but wanted to try.

Thanks for the tips! In the past few weeks, i have been cooking ground sausage or ground beef, a soup or stew of some kind, and chicken breast or thigh and some homemade mayo, to have it all handy for a quick heat and eat options. and i always keep green and frozen veggies on hand! My schedule during the week doesnt allow for prep and cook time, so i typically do this on a sunday. I just hadnt gotten around to it this past weekend, thus the unbalanced meals so far this week. :-( but i did wake up earlier to make some beef stew in the crock pot! (ive gotten a new found sense of energy today! woo hoo!)

Do you have a go to recipe for your fritatta? ive really been meaning to add this to my weekend prep meal!!

l'l'

Do you have a go to recipe for your fritatta? ive really been meaning to add this to my weekend prep meal!!

JessMarie, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better today.  The good thing about frittata is I do not think there are any hard or fast rules.  I looked online and this is closest to how I make it (without any cheese or tofu now of course):  http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-a-frittata-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-170717

For me it's a good use of leftovers - there's not too much I will not put in there.  The last one I made was a little different.  I had some fresh dill so I chopped up asparagus and shallots and sauteed them in a cast iron pan.  When they were cooked I added two eggs I had beaten with dill, salt, and pepper.  Just poured the egg mixture on top of everything in the pan.  Then I added some smoked salmon on top.  Left it on the stove for a few minutes then popped it in a 350F oven for about five minutes until the egg was set.  Quite a step up from my usual sniffing to see if things are still okay to eat then heating them in a pan before adding the eggs.  I almost always use onions, green veggies, and whatever protein I have leftover (chicken, sausage, fish etc).  I like that I can eat it right away or refrigerate and eat cold, room temp, or heated in the microwave.  Throw on top of some salad greens and you have a meal.  

Does anyone have the elusive tiger blood? I had a glimpse of it for one day two weeks ago and ever since then it has been AWOL.  I ask because this morning I have woken up feeling quite despondent. I'm tired and have been for the last two weeks and I am so bored with food again, I'm not going to cheat at this late stage but I will be very pleased when I can start introducing more variety into my diet even if it has to be a slow process. 

Loulabelle,  I have not experienced this rare creature either.  This morning my skin was even blotchier - it seems to be going downhill fast.  I did not have blotchy skin when I started this.  Am also exhausted still at the end of the day, not sleeping better, oh and (TMI alert) constipated.  My headaches have improved though so something good is happening.  I am also going to stay the course - it's not really that hard as long as I don't socialize.  I am also bored with food even though I have been cooking tons of new recipes.  I think this should be added to the stages on the timeline cause I'm guessing lots of people go through it.  I am waiting for that magical "for many people the changes happen in the last couple of days" moment.

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like this  :) . My skin is about the worst it has ever been which I'm not so happy about. I've turned down lunch & dinner dates with my friends to make sure I stay compliant with AIP so also not having a social life. Did I mention tired? The only thing that hasn't happened in the last 25 days is a headache which I normally get often, one has threatened a couple of times but never come to anything which I am happy about. My eczema is much better than it was too so that is also good news. I really hope we are both last couple of days people. 

Does anyone have the elusive tiger blood? I had a glimpse of it for one day two weeks ago and ever since then it has been AWOL.  I ask because this morning I have woken up feeling quite despondent. I'm tired and have been for the last two weeks and I am so bored with food again, I'm not going to cheat at this late stage but I will be very pleased when I can start introducing more variety into my diet even if it has to be a slow process. 

I started to feel energetic last week, but then this week I've just been blah.

During the first week, I was so focused on new "dinners" that I didn't plan well for the other meals.  I solved that by browning ground beef ground and mixing it in with some riced cauliflower and a little bit of approved spaghetti sauce.  I made a big batch, then filled quart sized freezer bags with 2 servings each and threw them in the freezer.  Now, when I am busy, I put half a sweet potato in the microwave along with some of the meat/cauli mixture, and I have an instant meal with no thinking involved.

Next month I am going to work harder on advance meal prep.  My plan is to make a big batch (4 meals worth) of the things we like, eat one for dinner (which provides plenty of leftovers) and freeze the other three meals.  If I make a big batch of something every Sunday, the rest of the week should be easier.

If I make a big batch of something every Sunday, the rest of the week should be easier.

Zipperific, it definitely is.  I steam/saute a ton of veggies on Sundays (a la Well Fed - what a great book) so I just need to heat during the week.  I also make something I can freeze like chocolate chili or Moroccan beef stew and my now fortnightly Sunday cook is a whole chicken in the crockpot - so easy and it just takes care of itself.   I leave all of the juices in the crockpot then put the chicken bones back in with a coarsely chopped onion (not peeled), a chopped celery rib and a chopped carrot.  fill mostly to the top with water then cook on low for at least 12 hours (24 is perfect).  Strain and you have amazing chicken broth.  most days for lunch I put some broth in a container, chop up some leftover protein, add some of my previously steam-.sauteed veggies and I heat it for lunch - amazing soup.  

I asked my ex-chef boyfriend about this, he said sugar or something sweet would normally be used to balance something too tart but as we can't use that he said to use salt instead as that also works. Also try more balsamic vinegar which is naturally sweet & less ACV.

Thanks for the tips on the BBQ sauce Loulabelle!  I don't know if I am going to try that particular recipe again but I'll probably try the one in the Well Fed cookbook.  I had tiger blood in the second week, a small glimpse for a day or two but I sure had it today at my workout.  I do Crossfit and our Open started today so I really pushed my workout today and got a PR in my clean & jerk!!  This was a hard week for me as well and I really needed this so I can finish off strong!  Give it a couple more days, I'm sure it will come back like it did for me.

l'l'

JessMarie, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better today.  The good thing about frittata is I do not think there are any hard or fast rules.  I looked online and this is closest to how I make it (without any cheese or tofu now of course):  http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-a-frittata-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-170717

For me it's a good use of leftovers - there's not too much I will not put in there.  The last one I made was a little different.  I had some fresh dill so I chopped up asparagus and shallots and sauteed them in a cast iron pan.  When they were cooked I added two eggs I had beaten with dill, salt, and pepper.  Just poured the egg mixture on top of everything in the pan.  Then I added some smoked salmon on top.  Left it on the stove for a few minutes then popped it in a 350F oven for about five minutes until the egg was set.  Quite a step up from my usual sniffing to see if things are still okay to eat then heating them in a pan before adding the eggs.  I almost always use onions, green veggies, and whatever protein I have leftover (chicken, sausage, fish etc).  I like that I can eat it right away or refrigerate and eat cold, room temp, or heated in the microwave.  Throw on top of some salad greens and you have a meal.  

Thanks for the tips on the frittata JessMarie, I have never made one before but seems like a good recipe for my weekly prep.  I did the Kaula Pork from NomNom this week and it is soooooo good. 3 ingredients and a crock pot!!!

Getting a little stressed out that day 30 is coming up and how I will handle day 31.  I want to introduce dairy first for my creamer but scared to eat "regular" food again.

We're almost there!! Keep going everyone!!

I started to feel energetic last week, but then this week I've just been blah.

During the first week, I was so focused on new "dinners" that I didn't plan well for the other meals.  I solved that by browning ground beef ground and mixing it in with some riced cauliflower and a little bit of approved spaghetti sauce.  I made a big batch, then filled quart sized freezer bags with 2 servings each and threw them in the freezer.  Now, when I am busy, I put half a sweet potato in the microwave along with some of the meat/cauli mixture, and I have an instant meal with no thinking involved.

Next month I am going to work harder on advance meal prep.  My plan is to make a big batch (4 meals worth) of the things we like, eat one for dinner (which provides plenty of leftovers) and freeze the other three meals.  If I make a big batch of something every Sunday, the rest of the week should be easier.

All I can say is ditto, ditto, ditto.  Terrible skin, breaking out now, which I never did before, this week has been blah and bored of food.  My first week was all about new recipes as well which almost set me up for failure since it wasn't "comfort" food for me and just ok.  I'm trying to decide if I want to keep going in March as well but we have a lot going on that month that I don't know if I could stay compliant all the way through.  I would really like some more tiger blood and PRs which was my goal for this Whole30.  I also want to focus on more veggies and maybe branch out a little like brussel sprouts or kale.  It seemed like the first couple of weeks were soooo slow but these last two have zoomed by, I feel like I have more to do.

I'd just like to mention that hearing that others are not having amazing results either, and that I'm not alone in my bad skin and lack of energy, helps me a lot.  I think it would be easier to stay strong and W30 compliant if someone were experiencing myriad phenomenal results.  I am super proud of us 'others' who are sticking with it even without miraculous transformations.

I think we each deserve a gold star!

Hi everyone! 

Congrats on sticking with it - we're nearly there! 

I can't believe it's day 28 here already, it seems to have flown by. I am feeling pretty great (except I feel bad saying that now!) I am sleeping well, waking up before my alarm (unheard of!), getting a lot more work done as I can concentrate better (I work in open plan and get disturbed a lot), no stomach problems, significantly reduced headaches, headache medicine and asthma medicine. My skin seems pretty good, although I do think my body has more detoxing to do. I'm also a lot calmer and have very consistent energy throughout the day - which means I'm getting a lot more done! 

I think I have successfully proved that I'm much better off without gluten and dairy. Given I am actually intolerant I'll be cutting them out for good now, rather than thinking I can just eat them and it will be ok! I actually really enjoy the food I've been eating and it hasn't been too big a change to fit into my life so far. I am travelling a lot for the next couple of months, so hopefully it stays relatively easy to manage. 

I am thinking of applying the 30 day thing to something else - next up I think exercise, as I haven't really done any other than walking to work this month. Partially because I was interested in the impact of just diet, and partially because I'm lazy! Now I have a lot more energy I feel like exercise is the next logical thing to tackle. So maybe an Exercise30 or possibly a Yoga30 I think. It seems to be a helpful framework for me as a way to approach change. Maybe there's Piano30 or Photography30 somewhere in my future too...  :)

Hope you all start to experience some really positive changes in the last few days! 

I finally had a really good sleep last night so feeling much better today. The weekend has been full of temptations with visitors and kids so crisps, chocolate and booze have been around me but I haven't been tempted to cheat; I didn't feel like eating or drinking any of it and didn't feel deprived either. 

Since I have had sleeping issues and haven't found the tiger blood yet I've decided to carry on for at least one more week without introducing any of the foods that are normally part of W30 but banned on AIP. I actually don't feel ready to reintroduce anything yet. 

Katy I love your idea of applying the W30 philosophy to other aspects of your life. I haven't done any exercise since I started this, I've either been too busy, too tired or too full of excuses. I think I should start a W30 for exercise :-)

Have a great day everyone!

Today is Day 30! Hard to believe we made it through :D. I have also had an acne flare up in the last week, which was disappointing. I was wondering if I have an issue with tomatoes/nightshades...but I'm not prepared to cut that out yet. That'll be a hurdle for another time to test out. My husband is going away for 7 days next week, so I think I'm going to keep going until he gets back. Then I'll do my final measurements, weight, and 'tally' of the nonscale victories at that point :). So my Whole30 is now a Whole45 lol.

Then in terms of moving forward, I don't plan on changing a ton from the Whole30 other than allowing some of the meats that have cane sugar (like bacon, we can't get that without some sugar in the curing process...called around and no one does it). This would be once in a while and where I can, I'd make sure there isn't any added sugar. The meat will be a constant work in progress and I feel we've already had lots of 'wins' on this one - sourcing properly raised meat and eggs, trying new recipes with different cuts that we'd never used before and bone broth (so more 'nose to tail' eating), things like that. I also plan on having wine, although rarely and stopping after a glass or two. I eat sushi probably twice a month, but moving forward I plan on not having soy sauce any more. I don't plan on eating rice otherwise either. I ended up liking cauliflower rice with a curry I made. And then the infamous paleo baking - I'm not much of a baker, so luckily I haven't had the urge to bake a plate of paleo cookies lol, but at the same time birthdays will come up, special occasions, or times when I'll want to bring a dish to a get together and I'll make a paleo dessert. Not going to reintroduce dairy, legumes (never liked beans, even before I went paleo), gluten, or grains other than white rice once in a while. And the sugar piece is a work in progress, my goal being to find things without it added in wherever possible and otherwise use natural sugar (honey, maple syrup) if I bake something.

We did it!!! :D

Congrats Katy and greenhm!!!  Tomorrow is my day 30!! So exciting to be this close.  I feel a little overwhelmed as to the reintroduction and calorie intake.  If I add cheese do I need to cut something else out like my fat intake??  I'm definitely going to have to read the reintro chapter again.

I am going eat close to the whole30 after my successes with Friday's and today's workout.  I'm have more energy and I'm getting stronger.  Creamer in my coffee and maybe cheese every once and awhile.

Archived