February 1st

Stargazer93

hello again! so glad to see so many has made it through the whole 30!!  :-) i started mine Fed 9th, so just a little bit more to go! i have noticed alot you have developed skin problems, i too am experiencing this. normally i dont get very many zits, but i developed the king of all zits on my jaw by my chin. (this thing is hideous and had been hanging around for days!)  my cravings are starting to really get bad....! i really, REALLY just want some cake lol!! im probably not going to start introducing things until the weekend after my 30 is up, just for the fact that my cravings are getting bad i dont want to go overboard and skip the reintroduction steps. so waiting till a weekend when i have more time to meal plan is going to work out better for me.

so after proof reading my post i realize it looks alot like pms symptoms with the cravings and breaking out skin, but i dont have periods with the birth control im on, so im chalking it up to something going on in my body with the whole 30.

i also wanted to share two awesome recipes i found that will be added to my regular menu OFF the whole 30! (even though they are complaint!) they are so yummy!!

http://www.paleoeffect.com/recipes/paleo-breakfast-casserole-a-brunch-recipe/

for this one, i used ground pork sausage instead of the chicken sausage

http://beautyandthefoodie.com/easy-paleo-hamburger-pie-crust-free-and-low-carb/

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my cravings are starting to really get bad....! i really, REALLY just want some cake lol!! im probably not going to start introducing things until the weekend after my 30 is up, just for the fact that my cravings are getting bad i dont want to go overboard and skip the reintroduction steps. so waiting till a weekend when i have more time to meal plan is going to work out better for me.

JessMarie my cravings are getting really bad too.  I want something super-sweet like frosting, skip the cake.  Really strange.  I am very fearful of taking off the training wheels on Thursday.  I have been so compliant I haven't even had fruit the entire time, and have only had two meals where my protein wasn't organic/pastured or wild caught/sustainable.  I know I cannot be trusted around non-W30 food and it scares me.  I think I have already mentioned I am going to re-introduce alcohol first, because it's something I won't go over on, and it makes a big difference to me to be able to have my wine.  I know I am planning to stay W30 as much as I can because yesterday I made a batch of chocolate chilli to freeze for lunches, then I made crock pot bison osso bucco that I will have for dinner tonight and I started a bone broth in the crockpot that will cook for 24 hours.  It was pretty automatic and that feels good.  BTW that sausage casserole looks divine - will be making that this weekend.

Hi everyone in this Feb 1 group :)

I haven't posted here before but wanted to share my news.  I lost 20 pounds :)

I'm 45 and was 209.  I'm now 189.  I used to drink 2 beers a day, pizza whenever, cookies, chocolate, chips, etc.  I've been reading the book since last summer and took awhile to take it all in.

My wife and I have a 9-year old daughter and twin boys just 8 months old.  I'm the one who stays home.

I can't begin to say how happy I am to have found the Whole30.  I always wanted to eat better but never invested the time to learn.  I spent so much of this month reading and cooking, etc.

Temptation has been everywhere and I don't know how I made it.

I haven't been on the forum much except to look up a specific "okay" food question or two.  I've relied on Nom Nom Paleo and googling "paleo _____".

My dry skin around my eyes did come back this week but with a bad winter that's probably normal.

I don't have any plans so I'm just going to stay on plan.  I have relatives from Ireland coming around St Patrick's Day so I might want a beer but would only do one.

I know this also will be better in the long run for my kids so I can't give it up :)

Hope to participate more,

Mike C.

I haven't posted here before but wanted to share my news.  I lost 20 pounds :)

My wife and I have a 9-year old daughter and twin boys just 8 months old.  I'm the one who stays home.

I can't begin to say how happy I am to have found the Whole30.  I always wanted to eat better but never invested the time to learn.  I spent so much of this month reading and cooking, etc.

Temptation has been everywhere and I don't know how I made it.

Mike congratulations - that's amazing news.  Is your wife also doing W30?  I think it would be particularly challenging if it is just you.  I know you mentioned you don't know how you have resisted temptation but if anything comes to mind that might help the rest of us, please share.  I finish my W30 tomorrow and I will be reintroducing alcohol but plan to stay as W30 compliant as possible otherwise.

I'm planning on doing a Whole 100 but I weighed myself and took some after pictures just to see how the first 30 days went. I don't plan on weighing myself again until after another 30 days. I've lost 11lbs! I also have noticed a big improvement in my energy and skin. I wouldn't say it's "tiger blood" level but definitely not dragging as much as I was for the first 20 days. I started exercising more too so I think that has a lot to do with it. 

The biggest change for me is definitely my relationship with food. I've tried a lot of different "diets" as I'm sure a lot of you have and this feels more like just the way I eat now. I only bring compliant food into my home and have figured out easy ways to eat out (steak salads people!) I really feel like I can eat this way for the rest of my life. I honestly do not miss anything except for wine! I may have to reintroduce wine on day 101. 

Congrats to everyone! And pay attention to the non scale victories too!

The biggest change for me is definitely my relationship with food. I've tried a lot of different "diets" as I'm sure a lot of you have and this feels more like just the way I eat now. I only bring compliant food into my home and have figured out easy ways to eat out (steak salads people!) I really feel like I can eat this way for the rest of my life. I honestly do not miss anything except for wine! I may have to reintroduce wine on day 101. 

Congrats to everyone! And pay attention to the non scale victories too!

Joseybee congratulations on completing the first 30 days.  I am with you on it feeling like the way we eat now.  I only made W30 compliant grocery purchases this weekend and cooked W30 compliant food on Sunday for the week - it seemed irrelevant that day 30 is tomorrow for me.  The reason I am not continuing is I want my wine back.  So that's what I'm reintroducing.  Might be that it makes me feel like poop, in which case I will have to re-evaluate my entire life (kidding), but I plan to stay W30 compliant as often as I can and definitely in my house (except for the wine).  

Mike congratulations - that's amazing news.  Is your wife also doing W30?  I think it would be particularly challenging if it is just you.  I know you mentioned you don't know how you have resisted temptation but if anything comes to mind that might help the rest of us, please share.  I finish my W30 tomorrow and I will be reintroducing alcohol but plan to stay as W30 compliant as possible otherwise.

Thanks kirbygirl.

My wife isn't doing Whole30 but she's a healthier eater to start.  She doesn't drink alcohol or eat chocolate or cookies.  But she has some bad habits (pastries, diet coke, etc).  My success is making her think about it.

The only thing I can say about avoiding temptations was the advice that everything thing is banned and there's no "treating yourself", etc.  So, hands off.

I don't exercise and knew that the only way to change was going to be changing my diet.  I know my kids will help me get the exercise :)

I can't imagine not having a beer or wine again.  Just not sure when :)

Mike

JessMarie my cravings are getting really bad too.  I want something super-sweet like frosting, skip the cake.  Really strange.  I am very fearful of taking off the training wheels on Thursday.  I have been so compliant I haven't even had fruit the entire time, and have only had two meals where my protein wasn't organic/pastured or wild caught/sustainable.  I know I cannot be trusted around non-W30 food and it scares me.  I think I have already mentioned I am going to re-introduce alcohol first, because it's something I won't go over on, and it makes a big difference to me to be able to have my wine.  I know I am planning to stay W30 as much as I can because yesterday I made a batch of chocolate chilli to freeze for lunches, then I made crock pot bison osso bucco that I will have for dinner tonight and I started a bone broth in the crockpot that will cook for 24 hours.  It was pretty automatic and that feels good.  BTW that sausage casserole looks divine - will be making that this weekend.

Kirbygirl,

funny that you mentioned the frosting because thats the part im craving the most about the cake!!! :-) i too am a little nervous about the reintroduction....i dont quite trust my self yet especially since the cravings are so bad and im so close to the finish line. ive made the choco chili my first week and it was so delish!!! Hope you enjoy the casserole! :-) 

Okay, so today is my Day 30 and I woke up with a puffy face, full blown allergies, even blotchier skin, and a headache.  Oh and did I mention (TMI alert) my intestinal distress came back yesterday after two weeks of constipation?  If I hear "maybe you need to extend to a Whole45 or Whole60" I may scream - or bite.  Thank you for letting me vent.

Day 31! Wow, we made it!! I'm just in shock that I made it.  I can do this!  Got on the scale this morning and I'm down 5 lbs!  I quickly put the scale away though and I'm hoping to only weight once a week.  I'm a scale-aholic.  I had a little half & half in my coffee this morning, so glad dairy is the first intro.  I was reading the Daily email for Day 31 and they want you to eat dairy all day, seems a little weird.  They said yogurt for breakfast, cheese at lunch and ice cream at dinner.  That sounds like way to much; of course you aren't going to feel good afterwards.  I'm only going to do half & half and maybe a little cheese with my chili tonight.

I will be taking my measurements tonight after work.

Congrats everyone!!!!!!

PS.  Does anyone else get the daily email?  There is a link for the guide to off roading but it isn't working for me.  Anyone else having problems??

Day 31 for me too. I managed to gain almost 2kg's but I lost 15cm which is what I've decided to focus on. I had a little steamed milk in my coffee this morning too, it's the only dairy I will be having, it's all I want right now. I've still got no tiger blood so I'm going to keep on eating pretty much as I am now in the hope of finding it.

Congratulations to all those who have been on this journey with me.

Day 31! Wow, we made it!! I'm just in shock that I made it.  I can do this!  

PS.  Does anyone else get the daily email?  There is a link for the guide to off roading but it isn't working for me.  Anyone else having problems??

Miss Sidney, congratulations on your success.  I do receive the daily email, and I have found them to be invaluable.  I am one day behind you but on the website there is a download that is a Guide to Offroading - hopefully it's the same thing - http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

Okay, so today is my Day 30 and I woke up with a puffy face, full blown allergies, even blotchier skin, and a headache.  Oh and did I mention (TMI alert) my intestinal distress came back yesterday after two weeks of constipation?  If I hear "maybe you need to extend to a Whole45 or Whole60" I may scream - or bite.  Thank you for letting me vent.

I'm sorry to hear you are not getting great results kirbygirl.  I haven't had too many issues, just breakouts on my face and I'm way too moody.  This was a great experience but I don't think it is for me long term and maybe it isn't for you as well and that's ok.  I wasn't doing this for weight loss or digestive issues, I was doing this for tiger blood at workouts and to see if my hip was an inflammatory issue.  My hip feels a lot better now and I haven't gotten tiger blood per se but I am more motivated at Crossfit now.  I feel I can achieve things again.  I think it is because I cut my drinking out.  I don't even feel like having one tonight.  So that is a major NSV for me.  I'm interested in how I do in the next week or two.  Do you want to continue kirbygirl or are you going to finish at 30?

ETA: I agree, I needed those emails to get me through.  Thanks for the link!! 

Day 31 for me too. I managed to gain almost 2kg's but I lost 15cm which is what I've decided to focus on. I had a little steamed milk in my coffee this morning too, it's the only dairy I will be having, it's all I want right now. I've still got no tiger blood so I'm going to keep on eating pretty much as I am now in the hope of finding it.

Congratulations to all those who have been on this journey with me.

WTG Loulabelle!!  Good for you for continuing the fight.  I hope you find the tiger blood soon!

My hip feels a lot better now and I haven't gotten tiger blood per se but I am more motivated at Crossfit now.  I feel I can achieve things again.  I think it is because I cut my drinking out.  I don't even feel like having one tonight.  So that is a major NSV for me.  I'm interested in how I do in the next week or two.  Do you want to continue kirbygirl or are you going to finish at 30? 

Miss Sidney I think if your hip feels better AND you are more motivated at Crossfit that's not a bad result for 30 days.  I am planning to reintroduce alcohol as a not every day, but regular item and other than that, I will only reintroduce on an as-it-comes-up basis.  It is likely I will have pizza in the next week or so.  With the intestinal distress I already have, it might be difficult to gauge the reaction of anything I introduce.  I may need to alter my food a little just because of my budget - eating lovingly raised by angels meat is extremely expensive, and not something I can continue to afford for every meal.  I really wanted to go pure for the W30, and I have (I haven't even had any fruit the entire time) but I am going to have to make some less expensive choices moving forward, while still remaining W30 compliant.  

Miss Sidney I think if your hip feels better AND you are more motivated at Crossfit that's not a bad result for 30 days.  I am planning to reintroduce alcohol as a not every day, but regular item and other than that, I will only reintroduce on an as-it-comes-up basis.  It is likely I will have pizza in the next week or so.  With the intestinal distress I already have, it might be difficult to gauge the reaction of anything I introduce.  I may need to alter my food a little just because of my budget - eating lovingly raised by angels meat is extremely expensive, and not something I can continue to afford for every meal.  I really wanted to go pure for the W30, and I have (I haven't even had any fruit the entire time) but I am going to have to make some less expensive choices moving forward, while still remaining W30 compliant.  

I agree kirbygirl, I really needed a reset to get my tush in gear again!!  I'm glad I took this challenge, I hope it doesn't sound like I didn't.  I'm just trying to figure out what to do now.  Since my husband isn't doing this with me, it is hard to figure out how to sustain this since he is the one that usually cooks.  I didn't even have a glass of wine last night which surprised me.  Maybe I could do 80/20.  Prep for breakfast and lunch, and maybe dinners here and there.  I need to do more research in the "paleo" way of eating.  It is close to this but I think it does allow for some sugars, like honey and maple syrup and might help convince DH since it has a little more freedom.

It was a little more expensive in groceries here as well, but we hardly ate out last month, plus not drinking.  I think we saved overall.  I was just lucky enough that my town is just big enough to have some of the home grown/organic food available to me.  Amazingly enough, the local eggs here are cheaper than store bought and taste so much better!  Not giving that one up.  ;)  I hope you can find some balance to help keep you going.

On a side note, since I added creamer to my coffee, I have had two cups this morning and boy am I loopy from all the caffeine!! LOL  :wacko:

Have a great day everyone!

Talk about temptation being put in my way! One of my friends at work gave me a box of chocolates from one of the best Chocolatiers in Switzerland today, he doesn't know I'm on a whole 30 way of eating. So now I know I have the definition of delicious sitting in my fridge. I'm hormonal, on the verge of a migraine and tireder than a hibernating bear and in about the same mood as one that has been woken up too early. Normally this the perfect storm that has me reaching for sweet things and instead of stuffing my face I'm here telling you guys. I think that is a wee personal victory  :)  :angry:  :)

• Administrators

Talk about temptation being put in my way! One of my friends at work gave me a box of chocolates from one of the best Chocolatiers in Switzerland today, he doesn't know I'm on a whole 30 way of eating. So now I know I have the definition of delicious sitting in my fridge. I'm hormonal, on the verge of a migraine and tireder than a hibernating bear and in about the same mood as one that has been woken up too early. Normally this the perfect storm that has me reaching for sweet things and instead of stuffing my face I'm here telling you guys. I think that is a wee personal victory  :)  :angry:  :)

Not "wee", HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay You!!!!!!!!!!!!

Normally this the perfect storm that has me reaching for sweet things and instead of stuffing my face I'm here telling you guys. I think that is a wee personal victory  :)  :angry:  :)

Well done Loulabelle!  And I think you just perfectly summed up the importance of these forums.  It is wonderful to have this safe space where everyone understands what each other is going through.  

Great job Loulabelle!!  I don't think I would have had your strength!  I am so happy we have these forums and those daily emails to help us get through.  I miss my daily email though, that was the first thing I read in the morning.  Still being mostly compliant (just cream in my coffee), even though I was trying to convince DH to have mac & cheese last night.  :P   He said no and I made roasted broccoli instead.  What would I have done without him?  Another great workout this morning and a new PR!  I love working out again!

DH has a client coming in from Boston, so we will be taking him out for dinner tonight.  It will be an easy food choice, steak!, and maybe a glass of wine.

Have a great day everyone!

I have been doing CrossFit on and off for about 3 years. I haven't been doing well lately, just lost all motivation, bad mouthing myself and wasn't getting stronger (you have to actually work at it  :huh: lol), but I kept going. I have had two PRs (personal records), last week and this week.  Even though all my workouts are scaled, I'm starting to keep up with the others.

I didn't start with CrossFit however.  I was overweight and did WW first in 2009.  Once I kept that weight off for about 6 months, I went to a bootcamp class which I loved!  She doesn't do it all year round, so in between I would do spin classes, I miss that instructor and haven't found the same class since. Then she kind of closed shop to start another business, so I decided to try CrossFit with a co-worker, my current gym was having a free try it out class.  I tell you what, I about died, but I did it and haven't looked back.  I have had a couple of injuries but that was my fault with bad form and trying to go "heavy".  I recommend to all ages, it is all about scaling. 

I encourage you to find something you love to do. You won't want to do it if you don't like it and getting there is half the battle right?!  I mean, I hate running, h.a.t.e. so I wouldn't choose that as my starting workout (even though I should now since it is my nemesis and conquer it) but not to start off.  I love Zumba, heck just dancing in my living room.  :)  Just get moving, do something more than you did yesterday.  Slowly, it will grow and then it is just another day at the gym.  ;)  Be careful with your injury though, give it the time to heal so it can recover and not injure it more.  Are you going to therapy, massage or anything to help recover?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Loulabelle, I wasn't able to check the forums over the weekend.  Not knowing what your hip issue is, I would definitely check with your doctor first.  Everything in CrossFit can be scaled.  There are some bigger movements but even I started with a PVC pipe before I ever started with a weighted bar.  If you decide to try, definitely work on light weight and form first as not to cause more injury.  And tell your coach, they have many modifications for each movement.

Would swimming help you with your hip issue? Less impact?

I don't talk to my Dr about it any more, he said I would never do sport again after my hip surgery. He seemed to think that women could not recover from it but men could, a real misogynist. Anyway since I had it I have managed to ski, can't do black runs any more but have handled reds OK, I also managed to hike up mountains and ride my bike. I talked to one of the guys at the local crossfit place after reading your posts, he said that the exercises can be modified for me so I am arranging a trial session to see how it goes. I do swim but I get bored if that is my only form of exercise. Thanks for your help!

Archived