February 1st

Stargazer93

My boyfriend and I were commenting last night how much work all the prep is to eat W30. We both cook everything from scratch anyway but even so some evenings we are finding it very time consuming but it is so worth it. I went through a few days of everything tasting mediocre and not enjoying my food at all but I stuck it out and seem to be over that now. I hope you are just going through the same and get back to enjoying your food soon. 

Hi Everyone -

Made it threw my daughter's birthday party. It was easier than I thought it would be, although I was starving by the time we got home. I made the cupcakes and it was so hard for me not to try the frosting to see if it was ok, LOL. I had to smell and touch it and then let the kids taste test. Luckily they turned out well but it went against my nature as a side baker not to try some!

I'm glad we are half way done. I'm really enjoying how my clothes fit and having no bloat but am definitely sick of the food restrictions and all of the food prep. I made NomNom Paleo's green chicken and mashed cauliflower on Saturday but it was just ok. Lots of prep and clean up for "just ok". And no one else ate it, so I was stuck with 8 chicken drumsticks which after two meals I'm sick of and actually got nauseous. Ugh. This morning I had nori, salami and tomato rolls. Needed something different.

I guess I'm in a bit of a slump but hope to make some meal plans to include items I know and love and go from there! Hope everyone has a great week!

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone -

Made it threw my daughter's birthday party. It was easier than I thought it would be, although I was starving by the time we got home. I made the cupcakes and it was so hard for me not to try the frosting to see if it was ok, LOL. I had to smell and touch it and then let the kids taste test. Luckily they turned out well but it went against my nature as a side baker not to try some!

I'm glad we are half way done. I'm really enjoying how my clothes fit and having no bloat but am definitely sick of the food restrictions and all of the food prep. I made NomNom Paleo's green chicken and mashed cauliflower on Saturday but it was just ok. Lots of prep and clean up for "just ok". And no one else ate it, so I was stuck with 8 chicken drumsticks which after two meals I'm sick of and actually got nauseous. Ugh. This morning I had nori, salami and tomato rolls. Needed something different.

I guess I'm in a bit of a slump but hope to make some meal plans to include items I know and love and go from there! Hope everyone has a great week!

I feel the same way scrumpet13.  I don't cook very often but this is a lot of prep and the recipes I have tried have just been ok.  I have slacked off this weekend and only prepared my lunches and sweet potatoes/butternut squash.  Need to make more eggs and sausage to get my morning meal back on track.  My husband prepared a couple of eggs for me this morning.  I just hope I don't over cook them in the microwave later.  :unsure:   I'm hoping to do some kind of pork meal for lunches.  I ordered the Hawaiian salt and want to make the Kalua Pig on NomNom's blog this weekend.  No Amazon Prime available so hoping it gets here in time.  Has anyone made it? What did you think?

PW: chicken and sweet potato

M1: eggs, pot roast and veggies

M2: pot roast and veggies

M3: taco salad

*sigh*  Went home for lunch and was having my left over pot roast and veggies.  Husband called, he forgot to get chicken out of freezer for dinner.  So I go to get the chicken out of the freezer before I forget and I come back to the table and my golden retriever has snatched the last of my pot roast!!!  :lol:  :angry:  She hasn't done that since she was a puppy, I don't know what made her think to do that?!  

So needless to say, a little hungry this afternoon and of course I swore off snacking on nuts.....  :wacko:  I don't feel ravenous/cranky though and know I can make it to the end of the day so that is a nice #NSV!

*sigh*  Went home for lunch and was having my left over pot roast and veggies.  Husband called, he forgot to get chicken out of freezer for dinner.  So I go to get the chicken out of the freezer before I forget and I come back to the table and my golden retriever has snatched the last of my pot roast!!!  :lol:  :angry:  She hasn't done that since she was a puppy, I don't know what made her think to do that?!  

So needless to say, a little hungry this afternoon and of course I swore off snacking on nuts.....  :wacko:  I don't feel ravenous/cranky though and know I can make it to the end of the day so that is a nice #NSV!

Oh no! LOL. I guess she got to have a nice healthy meal ;).

Day 19:

I'm starting to go into a bit of a food rut. I think it is partly that every meal I'm making feels like it takes a lot of effort. I'm trying to make sure that every dinner makes leftovers to make lunch easier. I am at home right now (off work) so I have more access to be able to prep meals and what not...but I'm starting to feel a bit bored. It's not that what I'm making isn't turning out, or that I'm disappointed in the new recipes - pretty much everything new we've tried has been amazing and full of flavour. It is the working up to it that feels a bit daunting somehow - finding a recipe, making sure we have the ingredients, trying to use up what we have which might mean having the same veggie more frequently and so on. I'm using spices, I'm trying new recipes. I don't know where this food grief is coming from lol.

M1: fried zucchini and leak with onion powder, salt, and cumin, with butternut squash (mashed) and two poached eggs.

M2: chicken soup made with bone broth and lots of veggies

M3: either oven roasted chicken or leftover pot roast from last night; with beet, carrots, and baby potatoes

I am fluctuating with being sick of eggs. I still seem to be able to eat them poached or hard boiled, but I am so done with omlettes right now. On the plus side, I'm very used to having a bunch of veg for breakfast!

People still hanging in there? :)

Still hanging on in there  :D My boyfriend made me a delicious veg soup then a gorgeous piece of rib-eye with a big salad for M3 last night, for some reason that got us out of the food rut we were in. 

One positive for me is that last night I had a terrible sleep (that is not the positive ;) ) and how I am reacting to it today. My sleep was disturbed shortly after midnight; I tossed and turned for hours unable to drift off again. I'm surviving on less than 4 hours sleep which for me is half what I need but even though I'm dog tired today I haven't been devoid of energy. My energy has stayed constant and at a good level all day; even the dreaded 3pm slump hasn't happened. This is a huge positive for me as normally I don't cope well at all without a decent sleep. 

• Moderators

Oh no! LOL. I guess she got to have a nice healthy meal ;).

Day 19:

I'm starting to go into a bit of a food rut. I think it is partly that every meal I'm making feels like it takes a lot of effort. I'm trying to make sure that every dinner makes leftovers to make lunch easier. I am at home right now (off work) so I have more access to be able to prep meals and what not...but I'm starting to feel a bit bored. It's not that what I'm making isn't turning out, or that I'm disappointed in the new recipes - pretty much everything new we've tried has been amazing and full of flavour. It is the working up to it that feels a bit daunting somehow - finding a recipe, making sure we have the ingredients, trying to use up what we have which might mean having the same veggie more frequently and so on. I'm using spices, I'm trying new recipes. I don't know where this food grief is coming from lol.

Food boredom/just being tired of cooking is not unusual 2-3 weeks into your Whole30. I can't give you a sure-fire way to fix it, but I can tell you it will go away eventually. If you feel like you're having to cook every day and you're sick of it, you can try to precook a bunch of stuff on the weekend -- although then you risk getting tired of all of that by the end of the week. It sounds like you're trying new recipes, which is another way to fight through the boredom. Just hang in there, make sure you eat, and it will get better.

I haven't checked in for while, life has been busy! 

I'm still hanging in there. My weekend away was a semi-success. I didn't drink and kept compliant but even though my friends were mostly supportive, I still felt like I was "dieting" by eating separate. That gave me anxiety about being the only fat person there and that people were judging me because of course the fat girl is trying lose weight. I just was completely uneasy with the stigma, real or imagined.

I missed my cook up day on Sunday too, from being out of town, so this week has been a struggle to prepare food and have lunches ready to go. I've been eating a lot of the same meals. Thank goodness for all the soup I froze two weeks ago! Looking forward to this Sunday so I can have a successful week. 

Also, I'm really thinking about extending my whole 30 to a 60 or 90. Anyone else thinking of doing that?

Thanks ShannonM816 :). I have done some batch cooking - chili, soups, things like that. I prefer 'fresh' food and I can do leftovers for a day or two. I just looked up some recipes on Pinterest. I also did groceries today so now I'm back to feeling like I have options for the next couple of days. I think that was contributing (in hindsight) - we were running low on food so I think my brain jumped to "limited/restricted" and went into a panic, deprivation mode. We also made a dinner that I love and is simple tonight to take some of the pressure off of the more complicated recipes that take either longer to prep, longer to cook, or both. We had zucchini noodle with italian sausage and Costco compliant pasta sauce.

joseybee, good for you for sticking through it despite feeling uncomfortable and anxious. There's a difference between a Diet and your diet and sometimes people see them as one and the same and start to pick apart what you're "limiting" yourself to. I get that all of the time; I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb and yet my choices don't really affect others that much. I know you said you feel like they see you as the 'fat girl on a diet,' but I wonder if you are picking up their tension because you making healthier choices is making THEM feel bad about themselves - in the sense that it can make people feel defensive of their poorer habits. If that makes sense :). You must feel proud of yourself for how far you've come and for sticking this out :), but I understand the feeling of sticking out and feeling judged for being different.

I have been thinking about going past the 30 days. Maybe to mid March...my husband is going to a conference for 5 days in March (back on the 13th) so I was thinking that since I'll be on my own anyways that I could just keep going until he gets back! So that'd make it a Whole....41? Then I'd start the reintroduction phase probably that weekend. There are some things that I'm not going to reintroduce because I know I don't tolerate them. I am most curious to see how my body responds to white rice because I love curry and sushi. I'm not going to reintroduce legumes  because with Paleo I didn't eat those anyways (plus I've never liked beans, don't like the texture). I am also not going to reintroduce dairy other than goat cheese (which was the only dairy I had been eating). Grains, same deal - I just want to know how I respond to rice and maybe quinoa. I plan on having wine, but limiting it significantly. I love how I'm feeling with the Whole30 foods.

Food boredom/just being tired of cooking is not unusual 2-3 weeks into your Whole30. I can't give you a sure-fire way to fix it, but I can tell you it will go away eventually. If you feel like you're having to cook every day and you're sick of it, you can try to precook a bunch of stuff on the weekend -- although then you risk getting tired of all of that by the end of the week. It sounds like you're trying new recipes, which is another way to fight through the boredom. Just hang in there, make sure you eat, and it will get better.

The first week was really hard for me, but now that I've gotten into a routine of precooking, life has gotten much easier.  I'm so proud of myself for making it this far.  Making it through Valentine's Day, plus a few family birthday celebrations, is a big deal to me.  I was pleasantly surprised that nobody has given me a hard time about not eating at these special events!  In our family, everything can be turned in to a special event or a reason to celebrate with sweets and goodies, and that has always done me in before.

I'm still not eating enough vegetables, but I am getting better.  I too am thinking about extending my 30 days.  Actually, right now I am still enjoying the process of experimenting with different food (thank goodness for the Well Fed books!)  I am going to go out to lunch at the end of the month with my family, and then start right back on this program.

Hi guys! 

Been a bit AWOL from the forum lately but still going pretty well. Day 20 here today. 

Interesting to read all the recent msgs from you all - seems we've all been going through similar things like food boredom but also thinking about extending.

My Whole30 has been a bit tested in the last week as I'm getting back to my normal travel and client entertainment schedule which has been a bit of a challenge. I am so used to having a wine and some cheese in the airport lounge at the end of a long day and that was probably the most challenging moment I've had so far. I just told myself it was habit not need and managed kept myself happy with a sparkling water and some olives, vege sticks and almonds I'd packed. This particular trip was ok (Syd-Melb) but I have no idea what I'll do on my next Perth trip as quarantine laws say you can't take food off the plane with you.  :o

Joseybee and Greenhm - good point about Diet vs diet. I went out to dinner with some friends and felt pretty awkward as they had wanted to go to Japanese and thought that should be fine for someone on a "healthy diet". I made a pretty big mistake as I didn't want to make a fuss so just asked someone else to order me a steak, halfway through I realised it might have had some butter in it. Then I got really sick from it. I already know I'm dairy and gluten intolerant but this really proved it. I reviewed the Whole30 thing about whether to "start over" or not and I've decided to keep going. It was also a good lesson for me in prioritizing my health over feeling awkward or high maintenance. I do struggle to describe it properly. My partner keeps correcting me and saying it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change which is cute - and true! He's been very supportive and is perfectly happy to eat Whole30 with me all the time, which is really helpful. (Except no way he's giving up beer!)

So I am very much thinking I will just do a Whole "indefinite" although, I am travelling two full weeks in March and internationally for three week in April. Similar to you Greenhm, there are a few things I want to try and add back in to see how they impact me - rice, soy, chickpeas, but then I know now I can live without them pretty easily so I'll likely cut them out again once I've tested it. Goats and sheep milk cheese I am really hopeful will be ok occasionally, as previously I've only come up as cow's milk intolerent, and I will definitely be bringing back a glass or two of wine on Friday and Saturday night but will try and keep to just that. I feel great without sugar so will definitely be staying away from that (except for those couple of wines I guess!)

In terms of how I am feeling, it's great. So much constant energy, much more calm, better concentration. Previously I felt like I just jumped from hyper to exhausted with nothing in between. Now I'm just so damn happy all the time. Sometimes it's so annoying even I want to slap me! I used to fall asleep all the time, if I sat down on a plane, in front of the tv - I think the combination of better food and better sleep is working wonders. I think I was constantly strung out and exhausted before. My clothes are all fitting so much better too, there were a few things I'd stopped wearing because I didn't feel comfortable in them and that was a horrible feeling! 

Finally on the food boredom, I was a bit worried about that last week, and then I finally found compliant fish sauce, and a couple of curry pastes, so I been making some of my favourite things like green chicken curry, and thai pork larb which is total comfort food for me. I've been surprised that it is possible to make so many different things Whole30 compliant just by tweaking a few ingredients. Also I made this delicious Pete Evans roast Moroccan lamb with roasted fennel - not sure if you guys know about him in the Americas but worth checking it out! Not all his recipes are Whole30 compliant though so need to read carefully. 

Wow - can't believe we're 20 days though already. Although that day 2 hangover feels like a long time ago  :)

Hope everyone is feeling great! 

I've been thinking about what to do after the 30 days is up too. So far the only thing I'm planning to reintroduce is dairy and that is only a little steamed milk in my morning coffee, I don't really have it any other time apart from occasionally having cheese which I am happily living without. After a week of that I shall then start reintroducing very slowly the food items that I cut out for AIP. My ultimate goal is to continue to eat in this style most probably following a Paleo diet which I realise now I have been naturally gravitating towards for a while. 

Good morning everyone!  Day 19, almost two thirds there!!  Glad to see everyone posting and they are still going strong!  :D   

@joseybee, Good for you for pushing through. All I can say is I ditto greenhm comments, she said it better than I ever could!

I have also thought about continuing on after these 30 days.  I know I am going to at least finish out the 5th week since only a couple more work days.  Maybe after that do 80/20.  I want to reintroduce dairy for my creamer and cheese and hoping the refrigerated 5 ingredient flour tortillas make the cut as well but other than that with maybe a glass of wine here and there, that is about all I want back.  I mostly falter with salty junk food and if I can keep that out of my house, I think I'm good to go.

PWO: chicken, sweet potato

M1: eggs sausage and sweet potato

M2: pot roast and butternut squash (thank goodness last day of this)

M3: going to a friends house for steaks and we need to bring a side so it is compliant for me and hoping to grab some artichokes and roast those for an app too

Have a good day everyone!!

Also, this is kind of interesting. I have noticed the last two days, I have been a little hungry after lunch.  At first, I thought it was because Molly ate half my lunch a couple days ago but then I was hungry again yesterday.  I am wondering if it is because I did the pot roast with white potatoes instead of sweet potatoes and it isn't keeping me satisfied as long???  I read an article yesterday by Civilized Caveman about how sweet potatoes are a super food and they help with weight loss and satiety.  Trying sweet potato instead today to see if any different.

Anyone else doing white potatoes and noticing this?

I'm so glad there's so many people starting around the same time! :) AuntB, do you have a Krogers around you? I believe there's a compliant bacon there... It's pre-cooked and it wasn't cured with sugar or anything. I used that on the last Whole 30 and it worked great.

is there anywhere else that has it, like sams club or costco

Also, this is kind of interesting. I have noticed the last two days, I have been a little hungry after lunch.  At first, I thought it was because Molly ate half my lunch a couple days ago but then I was hungry again yesterday.  I am wondering if it is because I did the pot roast with white potatoes instead of sweet potatoes and it isn't keeping me satisfied as long???  I read an article yesterday by Civilized Caveman about how sweet potatoes are a super food and they help with weight loss and satiety.  Trying sweet potato instead today to see if any different.

Anyone else doing white potatoes and noticing this?

Miss Sidney I was doing either white or sweet potatoes at every meal when I started (on Feb 3) because I was worried about being hungry.  I have gradually eased up on both and I have found that while the potatoes give me the feeling of satiety at meal time, veggies are what keep me from feeling hungry later.  I have started eating cabbage at lunch time (often in soup) and it seems to be the thing that helps the most.  I was eating clean most of last year and I am still a bit over sweet potatoes so might drop them from my repertoire for a bit as I do not want to hate them (although I do love that sweet potato hash recipe)

OK now I have a side effect I'm not too happy about. I've got spots & whiteheads erupting on my face! I've only ever suffered from the occasional hormonal spot before, I never had teenage acne or anything like that. I'm guessing it is my body clearing out some toxins or something, I really hope it doesn't last.

OK now I have a side effect I'm not too happy about. I've got spots & whiteheads erupting on my face! I've only ever suffered from the occasional hormonal spot before, I never had teenage acne or anything like that. I'm guessing it is my body clearing out some toxins or something, I really hope it doesn't last.

Loulabelle, I treated myself to a facial today because my skin keeps getting redder and blotchier.  It is now even more red and blotchy and they only used very gentle product on me.  I hope my skin problems are also a result of toxin clearing and also that it is over soon. I hope your skin clears up quickly too.

Glad to see that everyone is doing good and keeping at it!

I'm going to take a break from the forums. Good luck to everyone!

All the best greenhm! Keep in touch! 

Loulabelle, I treated myself to a facial today because my skin keeps getting redder and blotchier.  It is now even more red and blotchy and they only used very gentle product on me.  I hope my skin problems are also a result of toxin clearing and also that it is over soon. I hope your skin clears up quickly too.

I keep telling myself I'm being too impatient, but I am having similar issues - my skin hasn't cleared up as quickly as I would like. I have booked myself a facial as a "non food/drink reward" - hope it doesn't backfire and make it worse! 

I guess I spent a lot of time eating and drinking in a less than ideal way - so I suppose it does take a long time to detox and undo some of that damage. 

I am having the same problem Loulabelle.  I have been breaking out here and there and I usually have clear skin.  :wacko:

Glad to see that everyone is doing good and keeping at it!

I'm going to take a break from the forums. Good luck to everyone!

Good luck greenhm!! I hope you check in next week and let us know how you did!

ohhhhffff, Day 22. What a roller coaster this is.  I'm still on track but still struggling with a good day and then a bad day.  I can't believe how moody I am on this program.  I keep fighting thinking it will turn around but it is frustrating.  I'm going to try and add more greens to my diet to see if that helps.  I'm waking up bright eyed and bushed tail but my workouts are still sluggish, which is the reason I was doing the Whole30.

My husband made ribs last night, they were so good!! I tried making the Tangy BBQ Sauce from The Paleo Kitchen cookbook, but it was way too tangy.  I had to throw it out.  Loulabelle, how would I take out the tang?  I like vinegar but I don't know if it was the lemon or the cinnamon or what.  I tried adding more Dijon mustard but that did not help. LOL  Has anyone tried the Well Fed recipe?  I was going to do that one but didn't have all of the ingredients.

What are the ingredients in the sauce?

ohhhhffff, Day 22. What a roller coaster this is.  I'm still on track but still struggling with a good day and then a bad day.  I can't believe how moody I am on this program.  I keep fighting thinking it will turn around but it is frustrating.  I'm going to try and add more greens to my diet to see if that helps.  I'm waking up bright eyed and bushed tail but my workouts are still sluggish, which is the reason I was doing the Whole30.

My husband made ribs last night, they were so good!! I tried making the Tangy BBQ Sauce from The Paleo Kitchen cookbook, but it was way too tangy.  I had to throw it out.  Loulabelle, how would I take out the tang?  I like vinegar but I don't know if it was the lemon or the cinnamon or what.  I tried adding more Dijon mustard but that did not help. LOL  Has anyone tried the Well Fed recipe?  I was going to do that one but didn't have all of the ingredients.

What are the ingredients in the sauce?

Oh man, off the top of my head? lol  onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, chili powder, paprika, dijon mustard, cinnamon, lemon, chicken stock and tomato paste plus or minus  :D  I think I should have done 1/2 the cinnamon but I don't know if the tang was too much vinegar or too much lemon.

Archived