February 1st

Stargazer93

I was really missing half and half too until I discovered Trader Joes extra rich coconut cream. A healthy spoonful of that in my coffee and I completely forgot about half and half. It's way better than just coconut milk. I also add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg on days when I need a little spice!

Day 11 was pretty miserable. Tired, cranky, and everything was hard. I'm still feeling like I probably need to eat more. I also have a weekend getaway coming up with my bf and some friends. I have so much anxiety about them judging my way of eating and about being tempted to drink.

Really, really looking forward to the boundless energy phase!

joseybee,

We went to dinner and bowling with some friends last Saturday.  We were going to eat after bowling so I choose to eat at home before we left.  A couple of friends teased me about my club soda instead of alcohol but at the end of the night, one of my friend's husband came up to me and apologized for teasing me and said he was really proud of me and I better make it the 30 days.  I would have never expected it from him but it meant the world to me.  Try not to worry so much, yeah, you might get teased a couple of times but it is so worth it in the end.  Do what makes you happy and ignore the rest.  I know easier said than done but you might just find your friends rooting for you!  

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eating between meals (not usually strictly 'between', but before-as in munching during meal prep. The thing is, I'm not usually preparing a meal for just me, it usually for the whole family. So when I'm starving, and exhausted from the day, and looking at the amount of work it will take to get ready to feed 8 people, my will power fails me and I end up munching usually on my nemesis-nuts and raisins.)

I agree with greenhm, you definitely need to eat more.  I don't think you should be "starving" by the time you make dinner.  Hungry yes, but not starving.  Daily posting and reading the forum has definitely helped me in my journey as well.  I also signed up for the daily emails to help keep me motivated.  There is a link on the bottom of every email asking if you succeeded through the day and it is so nice to click YES.  :)   On the endurance, I haven't noticed much of a change or it is fluctuating.  Monday was a good workout for me but Wednesday's was not.  But Wednesday night my dog did wake me up at 3:30 and it wasn't very restful sleep after that.  I'm excited to see what tomorrow's workout brings because they said tiger blood should start to set in around now.  I really want to get some PRs at the gym, that is one of the main reasons I am doing this.

That coconut shrimp looks so good!  I'm going to ask my husband if we can make this over the weekend. I need to try and venture out a little bit on my meals. I way overdid it in week 1 and went to simple in week 2, but I'm scared of getting bored.  Like stravajunkie said, I think I'm getting tired of eggs already. :unsure:  I did buy a pot roast this week and want to cook that up this weekend for lunches, maybe I could switch it to M1.  

Day 11:

M1: eggs, sausage, and butternut squash

M2: leftover chicken, avocado and spinach salad

M3: hoping for steak  ;)

Have a great day everyone!

I'm really suffering with tiredness today, I've not managed to spend more than 7 hours in bed each night this week so far and I am really feeling it. Normally when I am like this I would be reaching for a Mars Bar (Milky Way for my State side friends) in the afternoon, it's the only time I normally eat anything sweet as I have an aversion to sugary/sweet food. However tired I am feeling today I haven't had the associated 3pm energy slump so coasted through the afternoon without even thinking of heading to the Bistrot  at work for a chocolate fix. I don't think I have had a mid-afternoon energy slump all week come to think of it. 

I made it past my day 10 struggle with just having an extra banana at the end of the day. I'm so proud of myself for not slipping into a full binge, compliant or not. 

My work day started at 4 a.m. today. I usually don't eat breakfast until 8-9 a.m. bu today I ate at 6a.m. I can't believe that 1.) I wasn't tempted by the cinnamon rolls at the work breakfast and 2.) I was able to wait until 12:30pm for a good, compliant lunch without any struggle. 

M1: on the road - deli turkey slices, almond butter, apple

M2: chicken apple sausage, strawberries, asparagus, cashews

M3: balsamic roast beef, sweet potato, green beans, avocado slices

Hi everyone! I'm a first timer and started my first round on 2/9. I'm a single mom to a 3 1/2 yr old boy and i also work full time at a Chiropractic office. Just curious if there are another single and full time working parents doing a whole 30?! Simple quick and little prep meals are what i am trying to stick to! 

I've always been been an impulse/binge eater :( so really thought that i would struggle in the beginning with cravings, but i am happy to say cravings haven't been a problem! I am already sleeping through the night, i am really enjoying NOT feeling gross and bloated after every meal, and i feel great! The only "problem" i have encountered is finding ground sausage and bacon without sugar! (LOL) Looking forward to this journey! 

M1: scrambled eggs with spinach and mushrooms

M2: Chicken Salad ( chopped chicken, homemade mayo, grapes, mushrooms, all tossed with romaine and spinach, topped with a few crushed pecans)

M3: Chocolate chili with spaghetti squash (used natural unsweetened cocoa powder as a spice)

Hi JessMarie, I'm another working full time single mum. To make the prep easier I have bought myself one of those vacuum pack thingies so I can do all my chopping & prep on a weekend and have bags of food ready to cook on week day evening. 

Hi everyone! I'm a first timer and started my first round on 2/9. I'm a single mom to a 3 1/2 yr old boy and i also work full time at a Chiropractic office. Just curious if there are another single and full time working parents doing a whole 30?! Simple quick and little prep meals are what i am trying to stick to! 

I've always been been an impulse/binge eater :( so really thought that i would struggle in the beginning with cravings, but i am happy to say cravings haven't been a problem! I am already sleeping through the night, i am really enjoying NOT feeling gross and bloated after every meal, and i feel great! The only "problem" i have encountered is finding ground sausage and bacon without sugar! (LOL) Looking forward to this journey! 

M2: Chicken Salad ( chopped chicken, homemade mayo, grapes, mushrooms, all tossed with romaine and spinach, topped with a few crushed pecans)

M3: Chocolate chili with spaghetti squash (used natural unsweetened cocoa powder as a spice)

Good morning!

Wow-I don't know if anyone else is finding it challenging to navigate all the chocolate/candy/cookies associated with what one of my friends calls St. Hallmark's Day ( Valentines :) ) but I am. Yesterday was the third day in a row one of my older boys decided to bake cookies to take to school....so I have a cupboard full of cookies, plus fresh cookies on the counter, plus cookie dough saved in the 'fridge because my husband likes his cookies pre-cooked :) AND everyone is bringing home BAGS of candy from elementary school Valentine's parties. Grrrr........I'm about ready to take the whole lot of it and feed it to the chickens, who will then turn it into healthy W30 approved eggs!

Yesterday:

M1 2 eggs, LOTS of steamed carrots and cauliflower

M2 Almond butter and raisins. Uncool meal choice  

M3 Taco beef salad with tomatoes and salsa, LARGE

I did steam some veggies to snack on instead of nuts, which helped. Mainly though, I think I need to just work on learning to stop moving and rest-I'm often munching because I'm exhausted and want to just sit, but can't....

Greenhm, thanks for the thoughts on the food...I actually am eating enough, and then some....I don't list quantities, but I've always been a 'big' eater in terms of quantity-I can put away a lot of food :) so when I list something as a meal, I ate a bowlful-not a handful....the problem is the high quality protein I need gets displaced by the munching on nuts and fruit...so still working on that!

Truck on everyone!

Welcome JessMarie!  I don't know if you have a local butcher shop in town but that is where I get my bacon and it is uncured.  They just slice it to order for me. Unfortunately, I don't know what cut it is but I can ask the next time I am there.  As for the ground sausage, I have been using ground pork at the grocery store and adding spices to it.  This is the recipe I have been using: http://healthylivinghowto.com/1/post/2012/07/say-goodbye-to-jimmy-dean.html. I decrease the nutmeg to 1/4 tsp since it is a little strong for me.

Good luck! You will do great!

Wahoo!! Day 12 here I come!  We are almost half way there!  Some of you have a tough fight going on with all this valentine's stuff. (I agree, stravajunkie, I call it Hallmark day too)  We don't have kids so it isn't in the house, nor do we have much at work surprisingly.  Hold strong!

Day 11 was pretty uneventful but I was so tired.  My dog woke me up Wednesday morning at 3:00 and then the cat woke me up at 3:45 Thursday morning and both mornings I didn't get back to sleep and just tossed and turned. It sure did catch up with me, tried to take a nap at 4:00 and was unsuccessful.  I think I was so tired when I went to bed last night that it took me awhile to fall asleep.  Does that happen to anyone else?  You fight so hard to stay up and then you get so far that you can't fall asleep when you do try to go to bed?  I hate that.

Anyways, I think I might have had a peek at some tiger blood this morning at my workout.  Very minimal but I was running better than I usually do.  Made me smile.  ((shhhhh, it's working :lol: ))

PWO: chicken and sweet potato

M1: eggs, sausage, sweet potato

M2: either spaghetti squash spaghetti or tuna fish salad

M3: ugh, going out tonight for a charity event, hoping for some good choices since I won't be able to eat before hand

Power on peeps!!!

Hello! Thanks for the welcomes and tips on the bacon and sausage! The vaccume sealer is a fantastic idea! Today was my first day off work since I started my whole 30, so I was a little nervous about wanting to eat somethings I've got in the house that aren't complient. But my will power is stronger than I give myself credit for! I even made my sons Valentine's, which had marshmallows and Hershey's kisses and I didn't even slip! Woo hoo!! Tonight my son wanted milk with his dinner, and I wanst sure if it was still fresh or not, so I did a taste test but didn't swallow! Hope everyone had a great day! Happy Friday the 13th!

M1: scrambled eggs with spinach and mushrooms and some grapes

M2: chocolate chili and sweet potato fries

M3: baked lemon pepper garlic tilapia, sweet potato fries and broccoli

I had the most brilliant sleep last night, 11 hours straight through! I woke up full of energy so I have put that to good use rearranging and cleaning my kitchen. My new coffee machine was delivered during the week, it is 30kg and quite big, needed to make room for it properly. Cupboards have been cleaned and made into some sort of order again. Pork shoulder is in the oven for a long, slow cooking to make pulled pork. Now to start on the living room :-)

I have discovered the most delicious thing for breakfast. I wrap pear quarters in bacon then roast them in the oven until the pear is soft and the bacon all crispy and gorgeous.

Happy Valentines day all! I was down a computer for the past week so I felt out of touch, but its good to know everyone is on track! I've had my ups and downs but overall things are going well. I cut out nuts because I think that was causing some tummy trouble and I feel better, but I'm still having some issues. My stomach makes soo so much noise! Its not because I'm uncomfortable and bloaty, but I constantly hear it move and rumble, its gotten rather annoying. I think some of my stomach problems have cleared up which is good, but I have others that haven't gone away which makes me worry that I need to cut out some compliant items (like eggs or nightshades), which just makes the idea of meal planning exhausting. I'm going to give it another week before I start cutting anything else out. 

I also drink a ton of water but wake up with a slight headache and dry mouth, i'm not sure what that is about. I drink tea at night so I thought the dry mouth could be related to that, but I don't know why the headache... in fact I have one right now and I can't explain it. Otherwise, I'm feeling pretty good. I started having weird dreams but I can't say they're about food, just random dreams! I'm waiting to start feeling some extra energy though, I could use it. 

Last night at the charity event was hard.  I started off well, asked for a salad with no cheese and no dressing and then no au jus on my prime rib.  Then dessert came while I was outside looking at the auction items and it looked so delish.  It was a raspberry mousse inside a little chocolate cup with raspberry drizzle.  omg I kept thinking what a nice light dessert they planned that wouldn't make you feel stuffed.  I could eat that if I was on WW.  But I politely moved it over so it wasn't in front of me but then the waiters never came back. and it sat there and it sat there and I kept looking at it.  :angry:   I made it though with no bites but I really really want to give up today. :(   Please send positive thoughts my way in hopes I make it through one more day, I mean geez we are almost half way there.  Also, husband getting a little concerned that I am crabby every other day.

Day 13:

M1: eggs, bacon, hash browns

M2: nothing prepped but maybe tuna salad with cucumbers

M3: dinner with friends, steaks but I don't know what else

Well done for not giving in to temptation! You can do this, we are are all here to support you if you need it  :)

Last night at the charity event was hard.  I started off well, asked for a salad with no cheese and no dressing and then no au jus on my prime rib.  Then dessert came while I was outside looking at the auction items and it looked so delish.  It was a raspberry mousse inside a little chocolate cup with raspberry drizzle.  omg I kept thinking what a nice light dessert they planned that wouldn't make you feel stuffed.  I could eat that if I was on WW.  But I politely moved it over so it wasn't in front of me but then the waiters never came back. and it sat there and it sat there and I kept looking at it.  :angry:   I made it though with no bites but I really really want to give up today. :(   Please send positive thoughts my way in hopes I make it through one more day, I mean geez we are almost half way there.  Also, husband getting a little concerned that I am crabby every other day.

Day 13:

M1: eggs, bacon, hash browns

M2: nothing prepped but maybe tuna salad with cucumbers

M3: dinner with friends, steaks but I don't know what else

Day 14 has gone super well! I have lots of energy today. I did not think I'd make it through Valentine's Day because I was out doing errands and so I was exposed to lots of temptations...definitely had lots of sugar cravings today. Didn't give in to anything though! We went to the Bulk Barn to get some things and let me tell you..walking up and down aisles full of bins with candy in them...that was tough! Got some shredded coconut, lavendar pomegranate green loose tea, cod liver oil, and cheesecloth (so I can FINALLY make some ghee!).

Went out for Valentine's Day brunch with my husband. Went to a Greek restaurant and I had lamb skewers, greek salad (sans feta cheese), and lemon potato with water and lemon. It was amazing and I felt so proud of myself afterwards. No bloating, no reactions! What I like about Greek is they cook in olive oil and they use a lot of spices (as opposed to sauces) so it's pretty easy to find something compliant :). Kev and I had a date rolled in coconut flakes as our Valentine's Day treat to ourselves. When we got home from doing errands hours later, we had a mini-meal - smoked salmon, strawberries, macadamia nuts. Then we shoveled snow off our back decks (an hour of fitness that was MUCH needed since I've been out of the game due to illness for too bloody long...). For dinner we're doing steak on the BBQ with some veggies. I would say the one thing I'm missing is a glass of wine with dinner. In the grand scheme of things, it's only one day of the year...but having a romantic evening, with steak, and not having a glass of wine just feels like something is missing.

Looking forward to a relaxing evening.

Day 14 - Valentine's Day!

Oh the temptations! We have been brought homemade chocolate cake and cookies from family members for the kids. The chocolate cake has been tempting, but not as much as it usually is when I'm eating all the things.

My husband treated me to a Whole30 compliant dinner. This AMAZED me! He is totally a Mt. Dew and junk food eater and has paid little attention to my dietary changes. He even brought the seasoning to me to check before seasoning the steaks to see if I could have it - I can't believe he thought of that detail! Now that's love in my eyes. :wub:  He made steak, asparagus, green beans, sweet potatoes, and strawberries. Yum!

I did miss wine a little bit.

M1: Egg, chicken sausage, grapefruit

M2: Pumpkin and egg bake, rhubarb, almond butter

S: apple

M3: Steak filet, baked sweet potato, grilled asparagus & green beans, strawberries 

Exercise: 3 mile walk

After a brilliant day yesterday I have hit a wall today. My enthusiasm has gone AWOL, all my food is boring and I feel depressed. I guess it doesn't help that I am on AIP so what I can eat is very restricted anyway and I'm eating the same things over and over again. I'm not tempted to go off plan so there is no danger of eating something I shouldn't. I also have a headache and all I want to do is sleep  :(. Anyone else down in the dumps today and want to share my misery?

After a brilliant day yesterday I have hit a wall today. My enthusiasm has gone AWOL, all my food is boring and I feel depressed. I guess it doesn't help that I am on AIP so what I can eat is very restricted anyway and I'm eating the same things over and over again. I'm not tempted to go off plan so there is no danger of eating something I shouldn't. I also have a headache and all I want to do is sleep  :(. Anyone else down in the dumps today and want to share my misery?

I hope today is better for you.  I go through days like that- where everything makes me want to snap.  Things will get better.  Hang in there.

Well guys, I'm going to have to start over. Made it through Valentine's Day, but hosting my son's birthday party last night, kind of did me in. Or rather I threw in the towel. Not very happy with myself, BUT-that's life and I can roll with it. So I'll probably join a different forum, and I will be starting back at day 1. Kudos and good luck to the rest of you!

Im not sure what other restrictions AIP includes, but i find some inspiration for new ideas on pinterest and the "nom nom paleo" blog as well as "the clothes make the girl blog"! hope that might help :)

Its been a few days since i posted last, but im still on track!! i had such a rough day yesterday with stress.... my son bit someone at daycare, my mum was over seeing the hook ups, while i was at work, for my washer and dryer which took all day and the air quality in the house was awful from lint and dust coming out of my crawl space, so i was stressing it wouldnt clear out before i got home from work. (my son has allergies and asthma...) on top of it all something for my cable to my tv quit working so a repair man was to come out to fix it while mum was there, but didnt end up coming out till 2 hours after he was supposed to and no one was at the house then! so no cable until saturday....then i was invited out to a fried chicken dinner, i wanted SO BADLY to say YES!!! but i came home and made a chicken salad instead! after a super busy weekend and a stressful monday, i have come to realize how much of a "stress eater" i was. i never thought stress affected the way i eat, but after keeping things in check, ive realized how wrong i was!!

M1: Tummy was a bit upset this morning, so i didnt eat breakfast like i normally would, so i brought hard boiled eggs, a banana and some almonds to work today to munch on when/if i get hungry and since its still kind of icky feeling im not sure whats on my menu for M2 or M3....

Keep up the good work everyone!!! and have a happy Tuesday! :)

I was struggling for a couple of days as well but glad to see you pushed through Loulabelle!!  I still feel like I'm on a roller coaster of emotions. Good day here, next day bad, then good, then bad.

Well guys, I'm going to have to start over. Made it through Valentine's Day, but hosting my son's birthday party last night, kind of did me in. Or rather I threw in the towel. Not very happy with myself, BUT-that's life and I can roll with it. So I'll probably join a different forum, and I will be starting back at day 1. Kudos and good luck to the rest of you!

Sorry to hear stravajunkie but totally know how you feel!  There is a thread on this forum that is starting tomorrow for Lent, a pretty good sized group and they seem very supportive.  Feel free to check in with us as well, would love to know how you are doing.

Good morning peeps!! Hope everyone is enjoying their Day 17/16!  I finally got a good night's rest last night.  Went to bed at 9:00, read for maybe 20 minutes and hit the sack. I didn't even hear my husband come to bed.  Hoping to do this again tonight and see how workout goes in the morning.  I'm ready for some tiger blood!  I was waking up bright eyed and bushy tailed early last week but haven't had that since.  :wacko:

Valentine's dinner went a lot a smoother than I thought.  The food wasn't that great so it wasn't hard to say no. lol  It was nice to see all of the positive posts for Valentine's.

It is so nice to say we are PAST the half way point.  Week 3 feels a lot smoother and then only another week to go after this.  

M1: eggs, sausage, butternut squash

M2: leftover pot roast with veggies (which turned out pretty bland for adding my bone broth, S&P, garlic, basil, thyme, and oregano :huh:

M3: taco salad

Have a great day everyone!

Hi Everyone -

Made it threw my daughter's birthday party. It was easier than I thought it would be, although I was starving by the time we got home. I made the cupcakes and it was so hard for me not to try the frosting to see if it was ok, LOL. I had to smell and touch it and then let the kids taste test. Luckily they turned out well but it went against my nature as a side baker not to try some!

I'm glad we are half way done. I'm really enjoying how my clothes fit and having no bloat but am definitely sick of the food restrictions and all of the food prep. I made NomNom Paleo's green chicken and mashed cauliflower on Saturday but it was just ok. Lots of prep and clean up for "just ok". And no one else ate it, so I was stuck with 8 chicken drumsticks which after two meals I'm sick of and actually got nauseous. Ugh. This morning I had nori, salami and tomato rolls. Needed something different.

I guess I'm in a bit of a slump but hope to make some meal plans to include items I know and love and go from there! Hope everyone has a great week!

Archived