I'm doing this wrong (ugly vent) Day 7 w/husband while pregnant

little_krysten

All I want is a doughnut or a bowl of fruity pebbles...

I just ate an hour ago and I already have a hunger headache.  Husband and I are always hungry.

I'm really trying with the template!  I am!  I forced more veggies on him than he wanted today. 

We're not eating enough, total. I know it. But it's so hard. (Yes it is miss melissa hartwig).  I'm 10 weeks pregnant, I have multiple sclerosis (not enough will power/creativity/time/energy to attempt AIP), and husband and I are both full time students.

He said I could quit.  He warned me this would be hard while pregnant. But how can I eat the things I want to right in front of him? And if he failed, I would rightfully blame myself for not being by his side while he struggled.  He's addicted to bread and cheese and every new stretch mark is a hit to his beautiful self esteem.  I let him stop working out when we started dating and I let him continue his mt dew habit after we married and I let him gain sympathy weight while I lost two precious pounds that my baby desperately needs.

I need to start gaining weight. I know that weight shouldn't come from doughnuts but I've been reading the advice posted on the pregnancy/breast feeding threads and there is only so much coconut I can stomach. Also sweet potatoes. I like them alright but they never get crispy enough when I'm trying to make fries. Ugh. It doesn't help that the back of my mind says "fad" every time I think of paleo. Why the heck are soybeans evil?? Plant estrogens are not the same as the stuff pumping through me right now. What I wouldn't give for an authentic tamale...

I know the solution to all this bitterness is: going to get myself something to eat. But that requires an energy expenditure that only returns what? Some brussel sprouts that I have to cut, steam, and eat that no one in the world can tell me will taste as good as a doughnut? 

My head hurts :(

• Moderators

Doughnuts and fruity pebbles will not really help. But you do need to eat, especially if you know you're not eating enough. And the fact that you don't have the energy to do the kind of food prep that makes staying on track easier is just going to add to the challenge. Do the two of you do a weekly cookup so that there's food available throughout the week? You may not have the energy to do it all yourself, but if you work together, you should be able to get a lot done. You may even want to try to get ahead of the game and get some stuff in the freezer, if possible. (Once A Month Meals has some Whole30 recipes designed to be frozen for later. You don't have to do their paid programs, all the recipes are free.)

You do need plenty of starchy veggies, but they don't have to be sweet potatoes. You could have butternut, acorn, or spaghetti squash, or any of the other winter squashes, or any root vegetables. All of those are good roasted, so you could roast a bunch at once and keep them in the fridge for later.

If you have a crockpot, you should try to find crockpot recipes, because they require very little work -- chop up the food to put in it, then just let it go all day while you're at school or doing other things, no standing over the stove or remembering to stir every 10 minutes.

If your budget allows, it might be worth paying extra for pre-chopped vegetables. I can almost always find chopped onions and celery at my local grocery store in the produce section, and sometimes can find frozen onion/bell pepper/garlic mixes. 

Also, we don't normally recommend smoothies, because chewing your food is important to satiety signals and because most people make smoothies out of more fruit than anything else, so there's a spike in blood sugar, followed later by a crash, and that's not a good cycle to get into -- but if that's the only way you can get food in you sometimes, it would be better to have a compliant smoothie than not to eat or to end up with doughnuts. 

And finally, I just really wanted to address this:

And if he failed, I would rightfully blame myself for not being by his side while he struggled.  He's addicted to bread and cheese and every new stretch mark is a hit to his beautiful self esteem.  I let him stop working out when we started dating and I let him continue his mt dew habit after we married and I let him gain sympathy weight while I lost two precious pounds that my baby desperately needs.

I'm thinking this is probably stress/hunger talking, but I'm going to say this anyway:  Your husband is an adult. He makes his own decisions. Sure, you could have threatened him with bodily harm if he didn't go to the gym, or you could have knocked the mt dew out of his hand and yelled at him to drink water -- but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't make your relationship any better. HE CHOSE to do those things. Now, he's choosing to do Whole30. It would be really, really nice for you to also finish the Whole30 to help support him (and it ultimately will be beneficial to you as well) but you are not responsible for whether he finishes his Whole30 or not, regardless of what you eat during this time. You have enough stress in your life without taking on responsibility for someone else's decisions. 

Don't forget you can eat white potatoes too :) If you can find them, plantains are another great starch and they don't need much prep work.

If you're having trouble eating enough, forget about no snacking and eat as many compliant mini meals (or meals) as you need.

Soups are a great way to get your veggies in without a lot of prep every day and they freeze well (I prefer to freeze it in portions, so I don't have to wait so long for it to thaw out).

Doughnuts and fruity pebbles will not really help. But you do need to eat, especially if you know you're not eating enough. And the fact that you don't have the energy to do the kind of food prep that makes staying on track easier is just going to add to the challenge. Do the two of you do a weekly cookup so that there's food available throughout the week? You may not have the energy to do it all yourself, but if you work together, you should be able to get a lot done. You may even want to try to get ahead of the game and get some stuff in the freezer, if possible. (Once A Month Meals has some Whole30 recipes designed to be frozen for later. You don't have to do their paid programs, all the recipes are free.)

You do need plenty of starchy veggies, but they don't have to be sweet potatoes. You could have butternut, acorn, or spaghetti squash, or any of the other winter squashes, or any root vegetables. All of those are good roasted, so you could roast a bunch at once and keep them in the fridge for later.

If you have a crockpot, you should try to find crockpot recipes, because they require very little work -- chop up the food to put in it, then just let it go all day while you're at school or doing other things, no standing over the stove or remembering to stir every 10 minutes.

If your budget allows, it might be worth paying extra for pre-chopped vegetables. I can almost always find chopped onions and celery at my local grocery store in the produce section, and sometimes can find frozen onion/bell pepper/garlic mixes.

Also, we don't normally recommend smoothies, because chewing your food is important to satiety signals and because most people make smoothies out of more fruit than anything else, so there's a spike in blood sugar, followed later by a crash, and that's not a good cycle to get into -- but if that's the only way you can get food in you sometimes, it would be better to have a compliant smoothie than not to eat or to end up with doughnuts.

And finally, I just really wanted to address this:

I'm thinking this is probably stress/hunger talking, but I'm going to say this anyway: Your husband is an adult. He makes his own decisions. Sure, you could have threatened him with bodily harm if he didn't go to the gym, or you could have knocked the mt dew out of his hand and yelled at him to drink water -- but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't make your relationship any better. HE CHOSE to do those things. Now, he's choosing to do Whole30. It would be really, really nice for you to also finish the Whole30 to help support him (and it ultimately will be beneficial to you as well) but you are not responsible for whether he finishes his Whole30 or not, regardless of what you eat during this time. You have enough stress in your life without taking on responsibility for someone else's decisions.

What she said. All of it. Good luck!

Archived