Chili please

DebW

I made chili today with beef heart --3 lbs beef heart, cubed, carrots, onions, celery, sweet potato (I only used 1), garlic, canned tomatoes--both diced and sauce. I put in chili powder, cumin, oregano, cocoa powder (ala clothesmakethegirl), garlic powder, onion powder, about a quart of bone broth. Brought it to a boil and let it simmer for 2 or so hours. The heart was unbelievably tender and my 3 year old couldn't get enough--he had wanted to eat the raw heart chunks before I got the chili going and he kept saying Meat! Meat! I cut the veg up pretty small--think for soup--and sauteed it in a bit of coconut oil--bacon grease would have been good too, I think. I sauteed the veg till soft before I added the heart and let that brown and then I added the spices, then the tomatoes and the bone broth. I figure we will get 6-8 servings out of that. 

Are there any chili recipes out there that are less Texas meat pie and more chili?  When I ate beans, which I exclude, my chilis were not this meat pie consistency but rather a tomato base densely packed with ingredients just right to make the dish just barely liquid enough to bowl with a flat tomato liquid top loaded with good stuff.  The heaped look isn't chili to me, it's Texas meat pie, which I do enjoy although far less than chili.  A complex spiced tomato base is at least half the joy of chili to me.

I'll still add the dozen varieties of re-hydrated and fresh peppers I've always used, and the cigar ash, but bye bye to the beans, peanut butter, Tiger Sauce, Pickapeppa and corn.  I'm looking for a base that will balance right without the liquid absorption of beans, I don't want cafeteria or Wendy's chili, either.

• Administrators

Are there any chili recipes out there that are less Texas meat pie and more chili?  When I ate beans, which I exclude, my chilis were not this meat pie consistency but rather a tomato base densely packed with ingredients just right to make the dish just barely liquid enough to bowl with a flat tomato liquid top loaded with good stuff.  The heaped look isn't chili to me, it's Texas meat pie, which I do enjoy although far less than chili.  A complex spiced tomato base is at least half the joy of chili to me.

I'll still add the dozen varieties of re-hydrated and fresh peppers I've always used, and the cigar ash, but bye bye to the beans, peanut butter, Tiger Sauce, Pickapeppa and corn.  I'm looking for a base that will balance right without the liquid absorption of beans, I don't want cafeteria or Wendy's chili, either.

"Cigar Ash"??  Do elaborate!

I made this turkey chili for breakfast this week, it's very traditional even without the beans (for maximum thickness I would recommend to drain the diced tomatoes and NOT put in the broth).  Probably as close to the chili I used to make that had corn and black beans in it.  I LOVED that chili.

I make chili two ways: Chocolate Chili from Well Fed, or my own Kitchen Sink Chili that has a lot of vegetables.

I usually have some leftover bits of meat in the freezer and I'll add that to ground meat to make about 2 pounds. To that, I add onion, celery, finely diced carrot, mushrooms, a big can of crushed tomatoes, and a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes. Also: Ortega chiles, if I think of it, and sometimes leftover kale. I season it with chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. I've thrown in all in the crock pot, or I've browned the meat first, and then added the vegetables, then the seasonings. I use homemade bone broth (or V-8 juice) to adjust the consistency.

A big bowl of this chili basically satisfies the meal template.

I looooove chili.  My sister came over last weekend, and she has some issues digesting beef (even grass-fed!)  So I made pulled pork chili and it was deeeeelicious!  I also included bell peppers, onion, garlic, jalepeno, canned tomatoes, tomato puree, loads of spices and cocoa powder, and diced butternut squash.

You could try Chili Verde. Hermes salsa is whole30 compliant and is easy to find (target carries it)

I like to brown whatever meat I'm using (it's great with pork) then add half a chopped onion and some fresh garlic. Sauté until the onion is translucent then lower the heat. Add the green salsa and cook for two hours. So so so yummy

• 1 month later...

My husband loves spicy food. I keep trying out new dishes for him with a blend of herbs and spice products from Canada . He Is a variety lover, so I have to keep searching and try out my luck with new ideas at hand. Pepper, garlic and ginger are the spices I never try to avoid in any of my dishes. Their nutritional values are high that I never limit their usage in my dishes. I think  that beef heart with chilly is an excellent idea. Thanks for sharing ! :)

I made a fantastic chili ad-hoc the other day.  I was also not looking for the typical meat dense stuff and wanted to have an easy one dish to bring to work that also loaded on the veggies.

Sauteed 1lb beef in olive oil - no draining

added 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped green pepper and 2 seeded diced small chili peppers

I then added 1 large sweet potato diced and several carrots diced

(overall the 4 veggies mounded my cutting board, I wasn't stingy)

I then added 1 regular can diced tomatoes and 1 box pomi strained tomatoes

Seasoned with salt, cracked pepper, non-stingy amounts of ground cumin, a bit of Oregano and Tyme and a pinch of clove

simmer until the sweet potato and carrots are done.

I ate this with half an avocado at work several days this week and each time remarked to myself how I liked it better than my old chili.

Archived