Not constipated but not going either...

candree

I am on day 27 and I'm a little concerned that I've thrown my bowel movements completely out of whack!  Prior to the program, my regular was every 2 days.  Since I've been on program, my frequency is up to every  5 or 6 days although I'm not experiencing any discomfort, bloating or otherwise issues when I do finally feel the need to go.

I'm just concerned that this frequency can't be good as where is all this food I'm eating going??!! 

I haven't had any slips and I've been completely on plan and eating to the template the entire time.  I've just ordered some digestive enzymes that should arrive in the next day or so and I planned on starting them but I'd love some feedback.  Is it constipation if I don't have any symptoms?? 

Meals for a day

Breakfast - 2-3 egg "muffin" with eggs, carrots, mushrooms, and ground sausage on a bed of arugula and kale mix with 1/2 cup of blueberries, 1-2 tbsps coconut oil.  2 cups of black coffee

Lunch - 1-2 portions of blacked pork or chicken, roasted sweet potatoes, and a full cup or raw radishes / cucumbers, 1-2 tbsps coconut oil

Dinner - 1-2 portions of pork or chicken, roasted broccoli/cauliflower or carrots, 1-2 tbsps coconut oil.

And I'm drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day.

• Moderators

If you're not going at least once a day, it's constipation is what my doc says.

In addition to the digestive enzymes, you may need a magnesium supplement. Folks around here like the unflavored Natural Calm. I use one from Biotics Research. You could also just soak in epsom salt baths.

You should probably be drinking a lot more water than 6-8 glasses. An ounce per body weight would be better.

I need to eat starchy veg at both lunch and dinner for best effect in the BM department. It has to do with soluble fiber in addition to insoluble fiber.

I use Magnesium Citrate by NOW:  http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-Tablets/dp/B000BV1O26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422546198&sr=8-1&keywords=now+magnesium+citrate&pebp=1422546201065&peasin=B000BV1O26

I have the same symptoms as you though, I'm only going every other day, on average.  I take that magnesium every day before bed and nothing has changed in the BM department.  I've been taking the magnesium daily for over a year, actually.

So, I don't have any real answers, I suppose.  

For me, going only every other day is a new thing since I started Whole30.  Of course, maybe pregnancy is throwing things off for me, I really have no idea.  

Probiotics will help, too.  I try to include a serving of fermented foods (sauerkraut, kombucha) daily, but I have the best result taking a compliant probiotic in capsule form in the evening before bed.

I also find if I do not drink enough water I have problems the next day.

• Moderators

I use Magnesium Citrate by NOW:  http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-Tablets/dp/B000BV1O26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422546198&sr=8-1&keywords=now+magnesium+citrate&pebp=1422546201065&peasin=B000BV1O26

I have the same symptoms as you though, I'm only going every other day, on average.  I take that magnesium every day before bed and nothing has changed in the BM department.  I've been taking the magnesium daily for over a year, actually.

Different magnesium supplements work differently. And you may need to take more than you think. I recommend gradually increasing the dose until you get somewhat loose stools and then back off gradually to find the right dose. Also, your dose might change depending on other factors, especially menstrual cycle. I tend to need to increase my dose considerably before my period.

Different magnesium supplements work differently. And you may need to take more than you think. I recommend gradually increasing the dose until you get somewhat loose stools and then back off gradually to find the right dose. Also, your dose might change depending on other factors, especially menstrual cycle. I tend to need to increase my dose considerably before my period.

Yeah, that's just it, my stools ARE loose when I eventually go.  I just don't go very often.  It's like the worst of both worlds, actually.  I've been taking the magnesium to help with migraines and muscle twitching, not constipation.  But, I know it is commonly used for that as well.  

One of the absolute very best tips I ever read regarding proper bathroom habits was "go as soon as you feel the urge".  

I've learned the "hard" way that that is certainly true.   ;)

And, darn it, I forgot to have the lemon water this morning!  I'll try and remember tomorrow though.  Today was total chaos with the crazy amount of snow we got yesterday.  

• 3 weeks later...

Too much psyllium can actually cause problems.    A steady diet of psyllium can cause a blockage for some people....setting up like rocks.

"Psyllium causes adverse reactions in some people. Why would cleaning out your colon be the way to go?  I wouldn't recommend anything drastic like flax seeds or other products that supposedly sweep the intestines, including colonics.  Some say psyllium is too abrasive and may cause gut inflammation. You are better off allowing your body to do its job by having the correct diet, antifungals, probiotics and some supplements.  Best approach involves the body's natural healing which in the long-run is more beneficial and will not overwhelm the body in the process."

Using raw celery sticks, hot/warm lemon water, magnesium, digestive enzymes/probiotics are all better options than psyllium.  

Hopefully you feel better soon. You need to go at least once a day, after 5 or 6 days you can damage your intestines. Vitamin C can help, Iodine can help. I would take some kind of laxative or even Castor oil to get things moving in a hurry. Just make sure you are close to your home potty. Good Luck!

Archived