Whole30 Complete, Now What?

Tuesday was the last day of my Whole30.  My husband and I completed it without any issues.  I lost 7.8 pounds, which is nice (although more would have been even nicer).  I'm now 5 weeks pregnant.  I don't know if Whole30 contributed to the pregnancy or if it would have happened anyway, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

Now I'm very worried about gaining weight and I guess I'm not sure what to do next.  I've read the reintroduction protocol a dozen times, at least.  I know I should add one thing, then 2 days of Whole30, then try another, etc.  Yet, somehow I'm paralyzed and it's causing me to do nothing at all.  I did have a Reese's peanut butter cup last night and instantly regretted it.  I regretted it even more when I woke up at 1:00 am with cramps.  

I don't know if those cramps were just a random occurrence or if it means I should permanently stay away from dairy, soy or legumes.  I'll admit, a peanut butter cup was a horrible choice because it includes so many potential allergens.

Anyway, for those that have done Whole30 before, what did you do when it was over?  Did you add things back right away?  Did you end up gaining weight right away?  I really don't want those 7.8 pounds coming back since I know they are inevitable in a few months with pregnancy.  I really want to keep my pregnancy weight gain under control as much as I possibly can because it is so hard for me to lose weight.  I know if I were to do another Whole30 right now I probably wouldn't lose another pound (even if I weren't pregnant) because that's just how things seem to go for me.  

I'm nervous and I don't want to screw up what I have achieved.  

I personally slow rolled it. I stayed paleo - and then every now and again when I felt like it I would introduce a new thing.  I loosened up on the no sugar rule so I could eat sausages and bacon again, and try some new recipes. I already knew my biggest problem was dairy (I had eliminated dairy 4 months prior to doing a whole 30)

To this day my rules are: when it's from a factory (ie: reese peanut butter cup) not worth it.  But if someone would make a homemade peanut butter cup or whatever - I would have one and really enjoy it.  Things that are worth it for me:  My MIL homemade lasagna, or FIL homemade pizza.  Basically someone has taken the time, love and care, to prepare it, so yes I will eat it.

I read the book before I started the Whole 30 so that there would be no paralyzing fear when my 30 days were over.   I zoned in on my elders' posts...all of those who've went before me and are now successfully riding their bikes.   I read every manifesto and article on the Whole 30 and Whole 9 about reintroductions.   

I read the comments from those who didn't think reintros were really necessary and then I reread their posts when they started all over again after an immediate period of thrill eating.   

I equipped myself with their knowledge and decided that a slow roll reintroduction would be the best for me.   Much has been written about it and you need only google  'Slow Roll Reintroduction' into your browser.   There you will find a treasure chest full of tips how to make your way going forward.

Now that you're eating for two, I think passing up immediate gratification with sugar for long term satisfaction with proteins, vegetables and good fats would be a good strategy for 9 more months.   You  can add additional foods of your choosing but sugar would be the last on my list of things to recommend on top of whole wondrous foods.

Congrats to you with your happy news.

I don't know, I am just depressed today.  I thought after our Whole30 my husband and I would go out for a delicious dinner, guilt free.  Instead I feel more guilty about food than ever.  It sucks! 

I know what I should do, but the last 30 days have just been "eh" as far as how I'm feeling goes.  I've attributed a lot of my feeling bad physically to pregnancy (breast tenderness, light cramps, etc.).  I don't think I can really keep this up for another 8 months.  All I want to do right now is run to Dunkin' Donuts and get a large coffee and a blueberry muffin.  I know I'll feel horrible later if I do that though and I'll instantly gain 5 pounds.  

Sigh.  I guess I'm just feeling blue today.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.  

• Administrators

Besides the Whole30 coming to an end, don't forget that you are also in one of the most tumultuous times in a woman's life.  That first trimester is going to try and kick your ass.  Just do the best you can and know that you aren't going to feel awful and blue for the next 8 months, as I understand it, it does get better. Try to stay away from processed sugars and processed foods as much as you possibly can so that you're not behind the 8-ball when that first tri is over. Fill those needs for carbs with lots of carbs (sweet potato, potato, roasted carrots etc).

Try not to worry about weight, Nikki.  You're stressing yourself out when you don't need to be.  

Archived