FranE

• 2 weeks later...

Smoke your own?   We smoke all of our own fish, no sugar or chemicals.

Hi MeadowLily, 

I would like to smoke my own fishie, and I have a terrace and a grill, but no skills... Any advice, even very short, on how to do this, would be very appreciated! Thanks.

I have hot smoked salmon by using 2 metal pans--one perforated and one not--put together double boiler style. The perforated one goes inside the solid pan, and is shallower. I put soaked wood chips in the bottom pan, put my filets in the top pan and put foil over to seal in the smoke. ( I use 2 inch and 6 inch 1/2 hotel pans) and place over grill. You don't need to close the grill, because you have the smoke sealed in the metal pans. Let go until fish is desired doneness. I let mine go until it flakes, which can depend on size of filet and wood used. I use fatty fish rather than lean as the lean can dry out rather quickly.    

Hi MeadowLily, 

I would like to smoke my own fishie, and I have a terrace and a grill, but no skills... Any advice, even very short, on how to do this, would be very appreciated! Thanks.

Lyola, I posted a previous post about smokers.   I'll try to find that for you.   We have an alpine green smoker that looks like a large bank safe.  It's outside.  The aromas travel far and wide.  

Mr. Bear smoked some fish all afternoon and night....it's ready for breakfast. That man can smoke or dehydrate any protein,vegetables or fruits.   I'll find that link if it's still around.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/23582-electric-smoker/?hl=%2Bsmoking+%2Bmeat#entry249056

There you go, Lyolya.

Keep looking, FranE!

While most have sugar, there are several that don't (even to be found in "normal" supermarkets). I guess it wouldn't help you to name brands because I'm based in Europe, but don't give up! :)

Please do - I'm in Europe too and would love a compliant smoked salmon for breakfast time.....!! TIA

Archived