LaCroix - How is it not SWYPO?

Okay, I am POSITIVE this has been asked before, but I can't find it, so I'm going to ask. Sorry. 

One, I understand LaCroix is Whole30 approved and I understand why it is approved. I also understand why Paleo pancakes are not approved, and I can even understand why the previously approved coconut wraps were "unapproved." I trust Melissa and Dallas with their assessment of certain products, and I wholeheartedly believe they will not give their stamp of approval to something that hasn't earned it. 

Context matters, I get it. Can someone please help me understand how LaCroix is not SWYPO? I am truly, truly trying to understand here - I promise you I'm not posturing or being a snot nose little 2 year old stomping her feet, either. It seems to me that swapping a diet soda for a LaCroix is the very definition of SWYPO (as is drinking coconut water to get something sweet or eating LaraBars, even though these things are "technically" approved). LaCroix in place of soda seems like the same concept as using coconut wraps in place of tortillas. Is it up to each individual person to determine if it's SWYPO for them, or is it something bigger I'm missing?  :ph34r:

Thanks!! 

• Administrators

If you are coming off a hardcore pop/soda addiction, Lacroix might not be a reasonable choice for you.  The soda addicted folk may want to explore new options that do not include carbonated, fruity tasting beverages.

The Lacroix is fizzy water infused with fruit.  If you want to put a jug of water in the fridge with a bunch of fruit in it, you have infused water.  Add some perrier or other bubbly water and you basically have a Lacroix. Nothing wrong with that. 

I've tasted a few of the flavours and I have not personally found them to be sweet.  My further comment would be that even if someone with a 6 can a day habit traded their Diet Chemical Drink for Lacroix in a straight across trade, the health benefits that they would get from consuming that volume of a hydrating liquid like bubbly water instead of the chemicals and sugar would be nothing but a benefit.

• Administrators

I'm also interested in why mixing your Lacroix with 2oz of cranberry juice is an exception to the no fruit juice as a beverage rule .....

I was a bit surprised to see that myself, actually.  

yep, I was surprised too, and labelled as a mocktail. Non-issue for me as I wasn't an alcoholic drink imbiber, so really don't know if it could be SWYPO for someone that is, unless for the same reason as La Croix isn't to the heavy soda drinker, which I was. I have to say, I do drink the La Croix and I really like them, but they are no where in the same ballpark as an ice cold Coca-Cola, nor do they make me want to go buy a Coke. It is a nice change from plain water and tea. Thanks for asking the question as I had kinda wonder about them. Well until I read the email, then my wondering changed...

I'm also interested in why mixing your Lacroix with 2oz of cranberry juice is an exception to the no fruit juice as a beverage rule .....

My best guess would be that, in this example, you're using the juice as a flavoring element as opposed to having a straight-up glass of juice. They allow fruit juice as a sweetener and as a flavoring element so I guess that would apply to drinks as much as it would food.

Yes munkers that appears to be the case. Also that not drinking fruit juice is a recommendation rather than a rule.

All rather academic anyway as neither Lacroix water or sugar free cranberry juice can be purchased round these parts!!

Yes munkers that appears to be the case. Also that not drinking fruit juice is a recommendation rather than a rule.

All rather academic anyway as neither Lacroix water or sugar free cranberry juice can be purchased round these parts!!

Plain old seltzer water is just as yummy with cranberry and lime. I've also made pomegranate spritzers. Straight up pomegranate juice KILLS my stomach (just like cranberry juice), but a tablespoon or so added to a glass of seltzer is awesome.

Archived