Eggs and Cholesterol

SusieNelson

• Moderators

I've been eating 4-5 whole eggs per day for more than a year with good results health-wise. As science is finally starting to notice, eating cholesterol does not raise cholesterol levels in the body. Eating biscuits is more likely to raise cholesterol in your blood than eating eggs.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I'm making a wild assesment here, but I thought Cholesterol was mostly dictated by your genes rather than by food, although I'm sure food does affect it slightly. I don't eat that many eggs daily, but I never hesitate to eat eggs with the yolk and I have very good cholesterol numbers last I checked.

Gonzosan, you're not crazy. I think most of the cholesterol in your body is made by your body because YOU NEED CHOLESTEROL! One of the biggest fallacies of our lifetime is this idea that cholesterol is bad. It's a precursor to all kinds of hormones in your body. It also has anti-oxidant properties and newer experts believe heart disease is caused in large by oxidation and inflammation. So the fact that we've been telling people to REDUCE cholesterol when all along our bodies needed it and maybe it could actually reduce heart disease rates for a hundred years makes me very sad.

I've had the cholesterol debate with my parents at least 100 different times, they thought I was crazy telling them to eat more fat. They started following Paleo and my mom's cholesterol dropped 50 points while eating eggs, bacon and lots of other protein/fats. The misinformation that Americans have been fed is extremely sad. Her doctors are impressed with her progress and recommending this lifestyle to others.

Archived