Newbie: Trying not to focus on weight loss...

heyheynicolep

Hello there, I just started my first Whole30 and am on Day 3. I decided to do this because I've had some health issues that just don't seem to go away, and doctors just keep trying to give me more pills - headaches, allergies, bloating, poor sleep, acid reflux,... it goes on. 

So I've been reading It Starts With Food and I'm excited to be eating healthy and all the changes that may bring with it, but I'm having trouble not focusing on "how much weight will I lose?". I have been steadily gaining weight this last year and I know this program isn't about weight loss but it's hard not to hope for it. I'm wondering if anyone else thinks like this. I'm worried I'll get to the end of this program and won't have lost any weight and will be disappointed, rather than be happy for what I've done for my health. 

• Moderators

Something like 93 percent of all people who complete a Whole30 lose weight. You will almost certainly lose weight. However, it is important that you follow our guidelines, especially the guidelines about meal composition and portion sizes. People who try to lose weight by eating below our recommendations slow their metabolisms and often have trouble losing weight. Ironic, huh?

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

I think I'm eating enough... I'm only on day 3 so am still working it all out. For breakfast today I had 2 hard boiled eggs and big bowl of green beans. I'm having a little trouble with the "no snacking" rule, though. I had always read you should eat 5 small meals a day, rather than three large ones, so I'll need to work on changing that way of eating. I don't like to eat a big breakfast before work (I start work at 7am) so I need portable breakfasts I can eat at my desk. 

Hey Nicole,

3 years ago I had one of the worst migraines ever in my life.  I was tired all-the-time, depressed a good amount of time, in pain a good amount of the time because of a autoimmune skin condition. And I was about 70lbs overweight (I'm guessing here as I was scared to step onto a scale).  I was being told that I could do nothing about the migraines - just take painkillers that basically knocked me out.  Depression - this was undiagnosed - but I know I was.  The autoimmune skin condition - was basically another thing that I had to "live with".  So yes I've been there.

I was so fed up at this point that I really didn't know what to do.  I knew "dieting" wasn't the answer.  But getting healthy was.  The logic in my brain has always been:  Get yourself healthy - then the weight will come.

The whole 30 is so completely about that.  If you stick to the recommended template meals - learn to listen to your body's cues - then there should be no issues.  Focus on the healthy bit FIRST.  The weight loss - meh - it's a nice side effect.  Trust me - after my first whole 30 - I felt better than I had ever in my life.  That was so much more worth it than the 6lbs I lost. 

Something to keep in mind - If you come from a background of years of disordered eating habits - your body might take a longer time to heal than just 30 days. Be patient with the process.  Because yes - it is a process.  And your body takes time to heal.  So please do not come into the whole 30 with high expectations.  You a better off to come into this - it's just 30 days - what have I got to lose?  Everything else has failed me at this point - so REALLY what do I have to lose?

I'm one of the 7% who didn't lose any weight but I got so much more out of W30 than the number on the scale. I feel so much better for it and even though the kg's didn't come off I still lost cm's. It is so worth doing this for all the other benefits so stick with it and see what happens for you.

Okay - your meal 1 is too small.  You need more protein - when eggs are your main protein source it should be the number of eggs you can hold in one hand.  For most people that's at least 3 to 4.

Secondly - I see nothing about fat.  Fat is very important to keep you satiated for 4 to 5 hours.  Yes, eggs do contain some fat in them, but don't be scared to experiment if you are feeling hungry in between meal 1 and meal 2.

Thirdly - if you are honestly, true blue hungry - then EAT!  The mental test that you should do is:  Am I hungry enough to eat something really bland like steamed fish and broccoli?  If so then eat.  Eat a mini template sized meal - so protein, veg and fat.  Do not eat: out of boredom, or just because you always have a snack.  Avoid snacking on fruits, nuts, or nut butters.   It might take some time to get used to, but try to aim for meals that keep you satiated for 4-5 hours.

Best of luck!

I think I'm eating enough... I'm only on day 3 so am still working it all out. For breakfast today I had 2 hard boiled eggs and big bowl of green beans. I'm having a little trouble with the "no snacking" rule, though. I had always read you should eat 5 small meals a day, rather than three large ones, so I'll need to work on changing that way of eating. I don't like to eat a big breakfast before work (I start work at 7am) so I need portable breakfasts I can eat at my desk. 

When eggs are your entire protein serving, you will need to eat as many as you can hold in your hand. That is 3 or 4 for most people. So you're close to eating enough!

Thanks for the feedback and words of encouragement! I see I still have a lot to learn about what to eat, how much to eat, and how to get my head around all of this. 

Carlaccini, I just had a small handful of cashews and a banana - exactly what you suggested I DON'T snack on! Tomorrow I'll add more eggs and fat to my breakfast. 

• Administrators

Regarding the "process of healing" thing.  In the last 7 months of doing nothing but eat template meals in proper portions for my body, 2 Whole30's, very minimal offroading, I have noticed a huge difference in my hormones.  I had some weird stuff going on surrounding my period; menstrual migraines, excessive pain/flow, major mid-month spotting (like a second period). I also had next to no sex drive. Without doing anything besides alter the way I eat, it all slowly started to improve.  First the migraines went away to the point that now I don't even have a twinge.  Then the excessive pain and extremely heavy flow tapered off to what I think is normal.  And finally, 7 months later, I'm watching the mid-month nonsense start to clear up.  And I have a sex drive again!  It's not like it used to be yet but it's there!  :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the healing process is slow.  In these 7 months I haven't lost a pound.  At first I was extremely irritated about that.....but then I think about how much work my body has been going through to fix a fundamental problem and perhaps weight loss just isn't the priority for my body that it is for my mind.  Fair enough, body, fair enough.  

I also look differently on the exhausted days or the super hungry days now and think, "Hmmm, maybe I just had a "healing breakthrough" and I need more rest and more fuel to recover from whatever work my body just did.".

Eat food.  In proper portions to nourish your body.  Try to balance your meals (and snacks if needed) to our guidelines because that gives your body the absolute best possible environment in order to concentrate on healing rather than spending its time dealing with blood sugar spikes or food restriction.

Archived