Cane suagr in my chicken?!?!?!

I am on Day #5 of my first whole 30! Last night I was cooking up a package of chicken breast tenders I had purchased from Sam's Club this weekend. I did not purchase organic because it wasn't in my budget for this week but figured it was plain boneless skinless chicken breast tenders - no added marinade, seasonings, etc. Well last night I had just finished drizzling extra virgin olive oil and seasoning 2 pan fulls of chicken breast tenders that I was going to have for dinner and lunches the next few days...and I happen to glance at the package in the trash and I noticed the ingredient list was a little longer than just chicken!! I picked it up and looked at it and there is freaking cane sugar in my chicken!! WTF?!?!?! I know I didn't look at the ingredients list when I bought it but why in the heck would there be cane sugar in my chicken? I was pretty angry...maybe partially because I'm in the "Kill ALL the things" phase but come on sugar in my chicken?!?! I calmed down...my sweet hubby offered to run to the store and get me sugar free chicken but I declined and reheated my pork and sauerkraut from the other day. I guess I should be thankful that I saw this before eating and not after...I'm was only on day 4 yesterday but still not willing to start over!! Anyone else come across something like this? I will definately be paying more attention to my ingredients especially when I'm not able to buy organic or grass fed meats!! **This is the end of my rant...thank you for allowing me to vent**   ;)

Grrr! It sucks that you had to discover that after you had bought and made the chicken. :angry: But good on you for not using/eating the chicken even though it was close to meal time. Additives to meat (sugar, water, preservatives) are a common practice unfortunately. Anytime you see the word seasoned on the packaging, it's a euphemism for "crap added". Companies get to charge more because they can plump the protein with liquids. Customers don't notice because the chicken looks fine and it's engineered to be tasty ie. is pre-loaded with sugar, salt and chemicals.

On the plus side, you discovered a valuable benefit of your whole 30, on day 5: Read every label. It's amazing how often we get hoodwinked as consumers. Now, you're way savvier!

Thank you! I was just so shocked to see it in there! I will definately take it as a learning lesson and read my labels even when I think it's just plain and simple as chicken! ;)  I am looking forward to my next shopping trip and being more cautious! I am learning and determined to succeed! I owe it to myself to live a healthier life  :)

So, if she had eaten that chicken would she have needed to start over?

The official rule is that eating off plan food calls for a restart. For added context, we typically refer folks to this article and let them decide how to proceed.

Archived