Day 19 Questions

I'm on my first whole30.  I've been Paleo for a year, so I really just needed to stop the sugar and challenge myself to not be lazy with food anymore.  I've been pouring over the forums, and I think I made myself more confused.  I have the food template, and I'm trying to follow it.  Does this mean that for lunch today, having a chicken thigh with broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, fellow squash mix is acceptable and will tide me over until dinner?  Also, what are some suggestions for post-workout foods?  I've got the hardboiled eggs before I go to the gym suggestion.  Thanks for all your help!  According to the timeline, my cravings decided to come later.  :(

• Moderators

According to the template, your protein portion should provide as much meat as the area of the palm of your hand and you can eat as much as two servings of that size. Most chicken thighs would not match the size of the palm of my hand. I would need to eat 2 or 3 chicken thighs to get enough protein. Whether your chicken thigh will be enough depends upon the size of your hands and how hungry you are. Your vegetable medley sounds good as long as you cook it with some fat to boost the taste and ability to keep you satisfied. 

The gold standard post-workout protein is chicken breast. Most people can happily eat chicken breast cold. I frequently eat canned tuna as a post-workout protein because it is easy to take on the go. I actually carry my own can opener with me! :) Tuna packed in water is sufficiently lean to be a post-workout protein. 

• 3 years later...

As far as making sure you're eating enough, I've learned it's really up to you.  I try to not go crazy with loading up my plate with meat and potatoes.  However, I know I will be extremely hungry if I just have a bowl of veg and palm sized piece of meat.  I find the whole measurement using my palm very ambiguous because it varies from person to person.  I actually rely more on weighing  my portions when I wonder if I've got enough for a truly filling meal.  I think you're going to have to focus on what you need amount wise rather than the average recommendations.  I also gave up worrying about clearing my plate of all the food--something ingrained as good manners in my family.  As cliched as it may seem, taking a moment about halfway through your meal to stop and see where you are fullness wise truly does help.  Some days, I eat a large amount at a meal but maybe later I'm fine with a snack size meal.  As far as post workout, it truly depends on what kind of workout you're doing.  I looked up recommended post workout meals and then looked at how I could make them compliant.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jorfdan said:

I find the whole measurement using my palm very ambiguous because it varies from person to person. 

The fact that it varies from person to person is exactly why we recommend using this body metric... so a 6'4 200 pound person is going to need more than a 5'1 90 pound person... 

Archived