Whole60 March 18-May 17

crossfitkatie

Getting ready for a Whole60 starting tomorrow. I have a massive diet coke and foods with out breaks issue. I'm also a chronic calorie counter and a daily weigher. Posting here for accountability, but also as a way to break away from my calorie counting and being a slave to the scale. I'd really like to continue on the PR train I've been on. I'd also like some other non-scale victories.

Starting Weight: 132.4 (goal is 125ish, but the fitness gains are more important)

Goals 

six pack abs

eat only when hungry, no emotional eating

eliminate "foods without breaks" - almond m&ms, nuts, trail mix, diet pepsi, alcohol

photo log every meal

no scale for 30 days

no obsessive calorie counting

drink more water

• Moderators

Some quick feedback...

Six pack abs are not available in 30 days despite the promises of books and magazine articles. They take time within a context of health like the Whole30.

Be sure you eat at least 3 substantial meals per day and fuel yourself with pre- and post-workout meals on training days to avoid emotional eating.

Great plan with regarding food without breaks - never start.

You can photo log every meal, but consider that may be your substitute for calorie counting. Ultimately, food must consume less of your focus.

No scale for 30 days! Yay!!!

Pretty much all calorie counting is obsessive. Thank goodness the Whole30 meal planning template provides guidance without weighing or counting.

Yes to drinking more water.

One more comment on the 6-pack. Despite what the media tells us, a 6 pack is not necessarily healthy. For many women, getting lean enough to see separately defined abs is too lean for their hormonal balance, so approach with caution. Luckily, if a 6-pack isn't a naturally healthy condition for you, the whole30 is unlikely to get you there anyway. More focus on fitness performance gains would be my recommendation.

Welcome!

Day 1 – feeling really good and motivated

M1: Pulled pork, sweet potato, broccoli

M2: Paleo Chickfila Chicken from PaleoOMG, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Apple Cinnamon GoGo Squeez

M3 - Apple Cinnamon Gogo squeez, 2 spoonfuls Almond butter

M4- Apple pie larabar

Stomach was really off today. Lots of pain. I don't tolerate gluten or dairy well at all and I didn't really feel like eating. That being said, my choices weren't the best or well rounded at all. Goals for tomorrow are to RX the hero wod at my crossfit box and eat 3 well-rounded, balance meals with no snacking unless emergency. 

Day 2 - stomach was better. overall a good day. good workout at crossfit today. 

M1- Apple Cinnamon GoGo Squeez x2, 2 extra large eggs, Sweet Potato sliced up and baked in olive oil old bay, salt, pepper and garlic

M2 - 10oz Sirloin Steak, Broccoli, Carrots

M3 - 2 handfuls almonds, 2 hardboiled eggs, larabar

need to work on my dinners. had a little bit of caffeine headache, but water and a lacroix sparkling water helped a lot.

Katie- reading your log has me worried. I know you know you need to work on your dinners. Please work on getting your meals to meet the template 3 times per day. Right now I see you underfeeding yourself pretty badly, especially with crossfit in the mix. Despite what we have been told, eating too little will not lead to sustainable weightloss or fitness. Eat enough to thrive.

Here is the template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Day 3 - woke up with a really bad headache,but i'm gonna stick it out. going out for margaritas with a friend tonight and I’m a little nervous. I really want to be successful with this and get the results I want, but I’m also scared not to drink. Alcohol plays a decent sized role in my social life. How do you all W30 and still maintain a social life?

M1: 2 hardboiled eggs, rx bar, 2 handfuls of nuts, raspberries, 3 cups of mint tea

M2: grilled chicken, broccoli, 2 hardboiled eggs, spoonfull of almond butter

Preworkout: Handfull of cashews, Apple

M3: Balsamic Chicken, Asparagus, Sweetpotato

I feel like I'm eating too much food! How do I gauge that?

Day 4 - Made it through one day of the weekend successfully going out and not drinking! Up early today to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity! I've never done that before and I'm pretty excited. 

Woke up not hungry at all. 

M1: 3 eggs, 3 slices of Pederson Farm Compliant Bacon, Apple, spoonful almond butter

M2: (packed) balsamic chicken, roasted sweet potato, roasted asparagus, clementine

Pre Hot Yoga: Key Lime Larabar, Banana 

M3: pathetic piece of balsamic chicken, 2 eggs, 4 cups of broccoli, 1/2 of a japanese sweet potato in olive oil

I feel like I'm eating too much food! How do I gauge that?

You are eating too little food. Try to meet the minimum listed in the meal template three times every day. Fruit, nuts and Rx bars best eliminated in favor of more template food, but if you have them, make sure they are in addition to a template meal not instead of a template meal.

Here is the meal template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

ps. the template contains vegetables. at every single meal. fruit is not a replacement for vegetables, so it often helps to eat those veggies first and then see if there is appetite left for fruit.

You are eating too little food. Try to meet the minimum listed in the meal template three times every day. Fruit, nuts and Rx bars best eliminated in favor of more template food, but if you have them, make sure they are in addition to a template meal not instead of a template meal.

Here is the meal template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

ps. the template contains vegetables. at every single meal. fruit is not a replacement for vegetables, so it often helps to eat those veggies first and then see if there is appetite left for fruit.

I'll trust you, but I really feel like I'm eating too much for my body type. I feel really bloated and like I'm gaining weight and that's something I'm not comfortable with. Fruit is a convenience thing for me, but I will try to eliminate it as best as I can. 

Day 5 - feeling really bloated and like I'm gaining weight. i feel like I look chunky. I feel like there is a rock in my stomach. Any suggestions/tips

Pre Workout - key lime larabar... early am hot yoga class and this is honestly all i felt like eating and I figured it would be a while until i could really eat again

Brunch - 3 eggs, 3 slices of complaint bacon, 1/2 japanese yam in roasted in olive oil, large handful of spinach in the bacon grease, Apple, Almond Butter

Dinner: 6oz Tilapia Panseared in Olive Oil, Broccoli, Applesauce

more vegetables meat and fat. less fruit. not so many nuts. Fructose is terrible for digestion and causes bloat. Nuts are also problematic for many people. This is a different way of eating than you are used to and it takes some time to adjust, but if you want to do it I would encourage you to try doing it completely, following the meal template for a good long time (30 days?) and then evaluate. Give your body the time it needs to adjust.

In addition to eating vegetables (cooked starchy ones in particular), supplementing with magnesium may help with constipation issues--lots of people benefit from that. If you chose natural calm (a powered magnesium supplement) make sure you get the plain (unsweetened) variety and start off with a smallish dose. Digestive enzymes, taken with meals, will help those coming from a semi-vegetarian or carb focused context, although usually with time your own digestive enzymes will increase in response to food intake.

Also, in case you didn't see this on the meal template: pre-workout recommendations are a small portion of protein and/or fat, so go for a hardboiled egg or some coconut butter (maybe even nuts or nut butter) but avoid dried fruit sugars like that lara bar.

more vegetables meat and fat. less fruit. not so many nuts. Fructose is terrible for digestion and causes bloat. Nuts are also problematic for many people. This is a different way of eating than you are used to and it takes some time to adjust, but if you want to do it I would encourage you to try doing it completely, following the meal template for a good long time (30 days?) and then evaluate. Give your body the time it needs to adjust.

In addition to eating vegetables (cooked starchy ones in particular), supplementing with magnesium may help with constipation issues--lots of people benefit from that. If you chose natural calm (a powered magnesium supplement) make sure you get the plain (unsweetened) variety and start off with a smallish dose. Digestive enzymes, taken with meals, will help those coming from a semi-vegetarian or carb focused context, although usually with time your own digestive enzymes will increase in response to food intake.

Also, in case you didn't see this on the meal template: pre-workout recommendations are a small portion of protein and/or fat, so go for a hardboiled egg or some coconut butter (maybe even nuts or nut butter) but avoid dried fruit sugars like that lara bar.

OK. I'm going to give the template a try. A Larabar was the only thing I could stomach, so I figured it was better than nothing. I ordered some digestive enzymes so hopefully that will help. My plan for the rest of the day is as follows. I think It's pretty template. My vegetable portion sizes are very large.

M1: 3 eggs, 3 slices of compliant bacon, spinach (2-3 large handfuls), japanese yam roasted in olive oil with old bay and garlic herbs

M2: 6oz tilapia pan seared in olive oil, spinach (2-3 large handfuls), mushrooms

M3: baked salmon, 4 cups of broccoli

In regards to the BR issues (miss Mary has hit the rest), I find what works for me is to increase my leafy green and if that doesn't work, I add several prunes to my last meal of the day. Fruit, raw veg and nuts can all tend toward bloating and gas. As you read through the forums and "what to expect" lists, you will find that many people go through this - also feeling like they are gaining weight. Hang in there! I think you will find that it will ease and you will be pleasantly surprised by the end with your measurements.

Day 6 - still feeling really bloated and gassy, but I woke up early without my alarm and ready to attack the day. I'm trying to eat more vegetable and less fruit, but I still need to finish up some of the stuff i have in the house before I go shopping again.

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 4 slices of compliant bacon, spinach in the bacon grease, roasted sweet potatoes

Lunch: (packed) balsamic chicken, roasted sweet potato, apple, fruit salad

Pre WO Snack (packed): hardboiled egg

Dinner: balsamic chicken, roasted sweet potatoes, 2 handful almonds

Bloat got even worse and more painful throughout the day. Staying strong though!

Day 7 - bloat is a little better this morning, still not 100%. I have digestive enzymes coming in the mail today so hopefully that will help. Off to the hospital for a day of clinical, then studying all night. Nothing super fun going on around here!

Breakfast: 3 hardboiled eggs, banana, almond butter (need to go shopping soon. last time I bought more fruit than I should have)

Lunch: balsamic chicken, broccoli, banana, blackberries, almonds

Preworkout: Carrot Cake Larabar

Dinner: 2 hardboiled eggs, almond butter, banana, gogosqueez apple sauce

Started taking digestive enzymes so hopefully the bloating will get better. my stomach still feels like I have a rock in it. 

Also, I need to go grocery shopping soon!

Day 8 

Breakfast: Salmon pan seared in olive oil, spinach, banana, gogo squeez apple sauce

Lunch: grilled chicken, spinach, apple pie larabar

Preworkout: 2 hard boiled eggs (packed)

Dinner: Salmon Pan seared in olive oil, spinach 

Snack: handful of cashews

Starting to feel better! Prepping hardboiled eggs, spinach, and sweet potato for my long day at the hospital tomorrow!

Restart - Day 1

I've decided to restart and go until May 20. Completely following the meal template or as close to it as I can. Although everything i've been eating has been compliant, I've been having some pretty intense and uncomfortable GI issues. With these issues, I have gained 6 lbs even though I'm eating as healthy as I ever have. I've been having really really bad bloating and distention where it feels like there is a rock stuck in my intestines. I think I've been eating entirely too much fruit and nuts and that could be what's causing a lot of my issues. I just want this to get better. My new goals are to not feel bloated, be "regular" something that I've never ever been my entire life, tame the sugar dragon, lean out, and continue on the PR train I've been on.

My stomach hurts, feels, distented, and super gassy after every meal. It's especially bad after lunch. Any ideas as to what that might be or suggestiongs to make it better? I have a GI appointment scheduled, but not until July 1. I think I'm going to eat whole30 until then because what's the worst it could do?

(I know this isn't a lot of food and not nearly enough, but my stomach is hard as a rock and uncomfortable. I don't think there is room for anything else).

Meal 1 - 2 extra large eggs hardboiled, entire bag of steamed broccoli
Meal 2 - Grilled Balsamic chicken, entire bag of steamed broccoli

Pre workout - avocado, 3 slices compliant bacon

Meal 3 - 3 extra large eggs scrambled with old bay, apple, whole sweet potato roasted in olive oil, old bay, and garlic herb

drinking lots of plain water and a little la croix

Katie- How do you know you have gained 6 lbs? Weighing yourself is not permitted during the whole30.

I think you know what you need to do: stop eating lara bars, limit fruit and nuts, and follow the meal template. Starchy veg may be gentler on your stomach than the cruciferous veggies. I would get bloating and a stomach ache from eating an entire bag of broccoli too.

I hope you feel better soon. I expect several solid days of following the meal template with a variety of cooked veggies at every meal will get you there.

Katie, 

Good for you for committing to the whole30/60. I thought will chime in as a person with ridiculously delicate digestion and impaired ability to stomach things. Pretty much what Mary said. Nuts act like a glue to the stomach. I know nuts taste great and they are truly convenience snack, but I feel that switching up your fat sources (olives, avocado, coconut etc) might benefit you big time.Dates and dried fruits are creating so much painful bloat - stop the larabar candy madness for a week or so, you will thank yourself later. Also, can you try another starchy veg, like plantain? Oddly enough sweet potato specifically is giving me your symptoms (guess dense carbs are hard to digest for me). Your tract is going through a change, so be gentle to it for now. 

Keep up the great work, you will have it sorted out I am sure. 

Day 2 - restart

thank you all for your tips and encouragement! I'm recommitted and going to get all of this worked out.

M1: 2 extra large eggs scrambled with old bay, spinach, 3 slices bacon, sweet potato and brussels sprouts with garlic herb and old bay roasted in olive oil (so much food, but I have a busy morning and don't know when I'll be home for lunch...gym, studying, and flag football this morning/afternoon)

Snack - grapes and 2 hardboiled eggs... not the best choice but i was starving when i was out and I needed something. could have gone a lot worse! 

M2: grilled chicken, sweet potato, brussels sprouts in olive oil with old bay, banana... it was 4pm by the time i got to lunch

M3: grilled chicken, spinach, banana

today was not ideal with all the fruit

post-65568-0-69391000-1427635370_thumb.j

Restart Day 3 - feeling a whole lot better. I think I do have an issue with nuts, which stinks because I love nut butters. My stomach hurts a little after I eat some fruits so I'm going to get rid of them from my diet after I clear out what I have in my fridge. I'm feeling a lot of mental clarity which is great where I feel in control of my choices. Honestly, nut butters, nuts, and larabars were probably a food without breaks for me so I'm way better off without them. I also feel like I'm sleeping very well.

M1: 2 extra large eggs, 3 slices compliant bacon, sweet potato and asparagus in olive oil seasoned with old bay and garlic herb, apple

Plan for 

M2: 6oz tilapia pan seared in coconut oil, spinach, banana (starting to brown and I need to get them out)

M3: salmon pan seared in coconut oil, spinach

Less active of a day today

post-65568-0-85203500-1427635194_thumb.j

I threw out the almond and cashew butter! No nuts until I get back from my trip to Haiti in May. I think the nuts were whats causing me my issues. I was 90% paleo before I started this, but I think that 10% was what was causing me a lot of problems. This Whole 30/60 thing has gotten me to realize that I probably was going a little too heavy on the nut, dark chocolate and alcohol. 

Good for you, your food seems on point. Your breakfast that you call so much food is ok. You are doing great.   

Nuts are a tricky food. How it worked out for me is that as I kept eating whole30 ish way with very limited nuts in my meals and my digestion got stronger. I can tolerate nuts so much better now, but going without them for quite long made me realize that they are now take it or leave it food vs hand to mouth food. If you have time to spare you can soak and sprout them, but I never have patience for that. Good luck. 

Restart Day 4 - Long day at school with exams and presentations and then I'm headed directly to the gym, home to study and prepare for clinical 

M1: 2 hardboiled eggs, compliant hot chicken sausage, peppers, onions, and japanese yams in olive oil

M2: compliant hot chicken sausage, peppers, onions, and japanese yams in olive oil, apple

PreWO: 2 hardboiled eggs 

M3: salmon panseared in coconut oil, spinach, grapes, some japanese yam

post-65568-0-02413400-1427721851_thumb.j

post-65568-0-16534800-1427721853_thumb.j

Archived