How do you follow W30 template when eating a casserole?

I am trying to figure out how to figure casseroles into a template... like if I make egg muffins with coconut oil, spinach and onion, how do I know how, much of everything I get? I like casseroles bc they freeze and they are a one stop meal, but I want to make sure I am giving my body what it needs.

I always just make sure the overall template proportions go into the recipe and then just figure each serving will be balanced in itself.  I will also usually add some extra veggies and/or fat depending on when i'm eating it.

I follow the same logic with soups/stews as well.

If you are the cook, it's easy. Measure and track what you use and then divide by the number of portions. For example, if you use four TBS of coconut oil and it makes 8 servings/ pieces, then you know each serving will have 1/2 a TBS ( or 2 tsps) of fat. Do the same with the other ingredients. When you serve the casserole, you'll know what each piece includes and whether you need to supplement with extra vegs, etc.

Ok. I'm not the best recipe follower - guess I'll have to pay attention!

If you make a frittata with 12 eggs, you'll want to cut it in 4 pieces so you'll have 3 servings of eggs per serving, and lots of vegetables to get 1-3 cups of veggies per serving piece.  Does that help?

Baltomom - You don't have to follow recipes, but you do have to be conscious of what you are preparing to eat. You can either plan it out ahead of time or keep a pad nearby and scribble down whatever you are adding to the mix. You can always "do the math" while the food is cooking and you are sitting on the couch.

I'm not sure if 'alone crumbs' was a typo, but as far as the chicken is concerned that's your protein so you'd be looking at 1-2 palmfuls of chicken per adult. With chicken thighs I generally go for three, with chicken drumsticks I'd say the same probably depending on the size of the chicken, and allowing for the bone. For chicken breast just the one per person may well be enough.

Hope this helps.

If you are the cook, it's easy. Measure and track what you use and then divide by the number of portions. For example, if you use four TBS of coconut oil and it makes 8 servings/ pieces, then you know each serving will have 1/2 a TBS ( or 2 tsps) of fat. Do the same with the other ingredients. When you serve the casserole, you'll know what each piece includes and whether you need to supplement with extra vegs, etc.

Oops, correction to above...1/2 a TBS would be 1 1/2 tsp.

• Moderators

Whoops sorry. I meant dipped in almond crumbs/meal. How do you count that as a fat? It's really hard to know how much sticks to each piece.

When I've done this, I've added extra fat to the meal.

I think you're overthinking, though, really. Does it feel like there are two or more cups of vegetables in your serving of casserole? If not, add some more on the side. Do you think it might not be quite enough fat? Have a handful of olives or some avocado or some mayo with it. If one meal is a little high or a little low in something, not a big deal, as long as over time, they all average out. If you notice you're hungry way earlier than usual after a meal, next time you have that dish, add a little more fat or have a bigger serving or add extra veggies. If you notice you're not hungry for 6 or 7 hours after a meal, next time don't add quite so much fat, or have a slightly smaller serving. It's a learning process.

Archived