W30 number three......

Donna

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished our chocolate chili batch today. Now I am :(

What is this Van Gogh book you're reading? That sounds like a really fascinating thing to do - read about an artist and then experience his art. I need to start doing stuff like that!

Day 2:

B: eggs, bacon and spinach.

L: chocolate chili

S: the sad, last half bowl of chocolate chili and a sweet potato

D: Um, yeah, need to get to this... I guess I'll make a burger salad. I've been putting mustard on this lately and it's like a whole new salad all of a sudden.

Oh, breakfast was so cute. I had my daughter help me. She handed me the bacon to put in the skillet, then helped me crack the eggs (so, she'd do the warm up tap and then I'd actually crack them ;-), and then she put the spinach in the skillet. Oh, she even helped me put coffee in the coffee maker. She was so proud of herself, too. So funny.

I road my bike 20 miles, mostly in the rain. There was a steady downpour and pretty good wind going on. It was actually a lot of fun.

Ok, I should make dinner. It's almost 9 p.m.! Oops..

Ok, here are mine!

Nutrition: I will combine fruit with protein and/or fat --in other words, I will not eat just fruit for a snack.

Sleep: I will be in bed, lights out, by 10:30 pm.

Stress Management: during one nursing or pumping session daily, I will do mindful breathing and work towards meditation.

Exercise: I will do yoga 3x/week, strength training 2x/week, and walk/cardio 3x/week. Yes, that means at least one double day, but many of my yoga sessions are only 20 minutes.

Bree: Those are some great goals....pretty lofty exercise with young children but go you!

Casey: Vega will be a great cook just like mommy! i saw that cute video of her cooking on FB....As for Vincent....I am reading Van Gogh, The Life. I saw these two authors on 60 minutes disputing the long held assumption that he killed himself. They say the real truth of the accident is in the book. Won't spoil it for you. It is 900 pages but very detailed from birth to death. I LOVE it. I recently saw several of his works in Philly at the Barnes Museum. I don't know much about art but am determined to learn more! I love the post impressionism era. I read a great fun book on my cruise entitled Sacre Bleu. It is about all the great artists of France and some historical fiction and Van Gogh is at the center and they try to solve his murder....It got me hooked on Van Gogh.....

Today Paul and I are going to MoMA in NYC to see the Starry Night. There are only 5 pieces of Van Gogh in MoMA....but I really want to see that in person!

Okay ladies, I had a sucky nights sleep. Interrupted sleep cycles and feeling like I was in a very light sleep all night long...Today is Day 4.....I will pack my own lunch and eat it in the car so I have a good salad for lunch and not museum store food :) Anyway, foods later but you can bet Chocolate Chili is on the menu and if you were closer I would share!

Bree - Glad you're joining us! How old is your little one, if you don't mind me asking?

Day 4 Donna! You're almost past the worse of it. Great you have a plan, especially if you're tired today. Being tired definitely makes it harder for me in the beginning!

I'll have to check out that book. Looks very interesting. Have a great time at the museum!

We (as in, my little helper and I) prepped the veggies today. I am loving that she can finally start "helping" in the kitchen. I can't get enough of it.

Ok, today's goal is to get my butt down to the gym and get a membership. They're having a deal this weekend. I have my training schedule all lined up and everything, I just need to get the membership. It's a 1/4 mile away and has daycare, so I will totally be able to make it there, even in the worse that winter brings.

Tonight we are making jalapeno burgers with sweet potato "pancakes" as the buns. The recipe is in Practical Paleo. I'm sure it's going to be yum!

Sounds like a great day....Vega will only become better and better in the kitchen! Kudos for gym membership. It is the key to me sticking to all things. I go there and feel motivated by all the people working hard! I almost cried when I saw Starry Night today at the museum. Another dream to tick off my bucket list. Saw some other awesome Cezanne, Seurat, Monet, Jackson Pollack, Andy Warhole, etc....

I am exhausted and over stimulated. Instead of chili Paul is making burgers on the grill....he says afterall it is Labor Day. The weather is cloudy and damp. Back to work tomorrow after a full summer off. Reality sets in, ugh....but lucky to have a job in this economy.....Enjoy your sweet potato buns. Sounds awesome.

Howdy ladies - happy Labor Day! Casey, my youngest is four months. I also have two-year-old twins. So - it is a very loud house! I have two more months of maternity leave and then it's back to the grind. I am aiming to have the Whole 30 habit down cold by then. Then we'll see about tackling the boys' diets....!

Today, new Day 1, was brutal. The baby didn't nap and the boys were holy terrors. Man, I'm beat! David's firing up the grill now, as you say Donna it IS Labor Day...

Today looked like this:

B: two fried pastured eggs over sweet potato hash with sugar-free bacon, bowl of broccoli, half a pear

L: handful of grapes, leftover curried chicken salad, three slices roast beef with mustard. Not enough veggies, I was in a rush coming back from the beach and trying to get everyone down for naps.

D: will be grilled chicken with fruit and avocado salsa over salad, maybe the last of the spaghetti squash.

If I make it to 9 pm it'llbe a miracle!

oh my gosh Bree, you ARE a busy woman! Are you nursing too? You have quite a handful of life going on. I commend you on doing this with all this going on. I believe I read you were doing this for weight loss mostly? Don't weigh yourself! That was a downfall of mine. It doesn't matter. It's about changing eating habits permanently! That is what the 30 days is about. I have lost 21 lbs since January....It has been a slow go but interrupted by two trips of a lifetime (cruises) and I was NOT going to do W30 on those....I don't travel much but this was a HUGE year for me. So life comes at us and we deal as we can.....

Today is day 5....wow, slept much better last night. Not fitful at all! Anyhoo....today is also my first day back to work (I am in education).

I am now off to pack my lunch and W30 snacks as they are having a luncheon today of pasta etc....I will bring my own lunch or eat at my desk....listen to Pandora and chill......

Going to read my daily letter. Everybody have a great day and talk later......

Wow, supermom's in our thread! Twin two year olds and a new baby - that's a lot of work! Oh, but eating this way will make all the difference. I'm sure you can use any energy boost you can get!

I'm with Donna on the don't weight yourself thing. Whole30 works in mysterious ways. My body has changed shape big time since the beginning of August, but the scale didn't reflect it as much as I thought it would. If I stay off the scale, I feel really happy with the results I'm getting - I have a lot more muscle tone, cellulite is going away, and I'm definitely losing the baby belly. Two personal trainers at my new gym mentioned I have great looking quads since I joined yesterday. Weird compliment, but I'll take it! So, do yourself a huge favor and heed that "rule" in the Whole30!

I'm glad everyone enjoyed Labor Day. We went to the zoo (which I have a love-regret relationship with). Vega's getting to a point where she can identify animals, so I think we're moving beyond the "run like a wild animal" way normal zoo visits go.

Afterward, instead of cooking at home, we went to a burger place. It was pretty easy to eat Whole30 there, luckily.

So, yesterday was Day 3:

B: eggs, spinach, bacon, decaf coffee with coconut milk

L: tuna salad on salad mix, banana and some watermelon. Basically just tuna, olive oil, onion and mustard in the food processor.

D: burger on lettuce bun with avocado, broccoli. Came home and had another banana.

I really should have eaten a snack yesterday. I was very hungry at the zoo and didn't bring a can of tuna with me like I usually do.

Had a free personal training session at the gym with a guy who had clearly chugged a Red Bull before coming in. He spent more time talking than working me out, but since the session lasted almost 2 hours (!!), I managed to get a workout in. When I went in to the daycare to get Vega, she had already climbed back in her stroller and was waiting for me. Yeah, two hours is a little much!

Day 5 menu

B: omelette with scallions and banana

L: Chocolate chili, watermelon

D: Veggies, chicken sausage

S: Nuts

back to work today....worked a 10 hr day....exhausted. Hungry, angry and tired! Sausages on the grill....I know I will feel better after eating....Casey, good work at the gym today. 2 hrs is crazy long....Vega had the right idea....good work everybody....

Day 4:

B: homemade sausage with zucchini and bell pepper "chunks", sweet potato hash browns

L: Puerto Rican beef (from Everyday Paleo)

S: random bites at the park: a couple of raisins and a few baked sweet potato cubes I brought for my daughter

D: Orange braised beef shanks, watermelon and some weird broccoli/cauliflower chowder. Yeah, I think I won't make the chowder thing again.

Howdy howdy. What a day. I took the boys to the grocery store with our new au pair and now I'm half expecting her to say she's going home, thanks!

Donna, yes, I'm nursing. Can barely keep up with the kid. He refuses bottles, too, which will not workso well come November when I go back to work!

And I will definitely follow both of your advice about the scale. No secret weigh-ins!

Day 2:

B: eggs scrambled with half a chicken apple sausage and asparagus, bowl of snap peas.

L: mishmash grabbed between grocery store, twin nap, baby nap, and chiropractor. Roast beef slices with mustard, banana, larabar, date.

D: well Fed's cinnamon beef chili is on the stove. Will also rats some broccoli and cauliflower.

Here's to a calmer tomorrow!

good job on the meals Bree and Casey! You are both such busy mommies.....enjoy it. Blink your eyes and they are 26 and 21 and out of the house and out of your life :(

I had a really rough night of sleep. I fell asleep soundly however woke at 1:30 and was wide awake! I hate that. I also think it might be related to something caught under my gum which is working it's way out...My sonic water toothbrush pushed it up farther. Now nature is taking it's course and it is painful. This morning, it is softening so I know it is festering it out. To be honest, 7 days ago I had some movie popcorn. I swear it's a kernel....another reason to swear off popcorn!

Back to work again today. I love the people I work with so it is a joy! Life is good.....The students arrive tomorrow. Parent meetings and setup today. This year I have 9th graders and 12th graders so that should be interesting....here is my menu for.....

Day 6

B: Omelette Banana

L: Green salad with chocolate chili, watermelon

D: Sushi tonight! No soy, just sashimi and seaweed salad

S: nuts

Donna, hope the gums are back to normal soon. that doesn't sound like fun. Reading this thread has inspired me to have a look at my own goals, which I set at the beginning but now completely forget. I am going to dig them out and review them and post them tomorrow.

Have a good day.

Michelle

glad to inspire Michelle, that is why we come to the forum to share ideas, obstacles and victories....today has been a whirlwhind....they had a big luncheon at work and every kind of dessert was there....my favorites every one of them.....but I brought my salad with chili and had my watermelon with my seltzer. My coworkers were amazed at my will power. My gums are getting much better thanks everyone. I just hate that. It has softened and pushed itself out! Healthy bodies can do that, right? Anyway....hope all is well in W30 land. Sushi got tanked tonight....we are having salad with beef and veggies instead....maybe friday :)

It's been a busy day, but I managed to get a lot done.

Day 5:

B: homemade sausage with veggies

L: leftover Puerto Rican beef

D: burger on a salad with yellow mustard, sweet potato and coconut oil, brussels sprouts.

Now I'm going to sit back and do nothing!!

Argh, haaaate the corn kernel under the gum. Glad it's improving. And well done on the dessert willpower!

Today was a good day. I felt a lot calmer. My mom arrives tonight for a few days Im a .little worried she will think I'm being unhealthy for not eating grains and legumes. She is a type 2 diabetic who has generally done a good job managing the disease by keeping her weight down and avoiding carbs, but even so she definitely buys into the conventional diet wisdom. It seems that I have an issue with fearing others' reactions - something to be awarer of...

Day 3:

B: chicken sausage and broccoli

L: mixed greens, grilled chicken, avocado

D: will be thanksgiving meatballs from Practical Paleo and modified velvety butternut squash from well fed, plus leftover cocoa cauliflower and roasted broccoli

Bree:

Here is an opportunity for you to show your mom how healthy this lifestyle is....Do you have ISWF? If not show her all the website manifestos.....They are awesome proof why carbs, beans, sugars are bad....I have never felt better in my life on this eating plan. Tell her about how our earliest ancestors ate this way. It wasn't until we introduced processed foods in our diets that we started becoming a disease riddled society....Grains are NOT our friends. Many of us are ancestrally allergic. Irish are highly allergic to wheat. It wasn't in their food staples. Celiac disease and gluten intolerance is very high in western european peoples....Corn is a highly allergic food. You could also tell her the truth. You are wiping these foods out for a month, and will reintroduce them one at a time to see what you can tolerate in your diet without ramifications.....

Hang in there! Casey, you da best! Thanks everyone for being here....today is

Day 7

B: omelette with veggies, watermelon

L: Salad greens, tuna veggies apple

D: Chipotle salad with carnitas

S: nuts

Slept like a baby last night....Today the students return to school .....wish me luck! Also , another big adventure is I am getting my haircut tonight....short! Fingers crossed I like it.

Bree - it took me a long time to stop feeling so sensitive to other's reactions to the way I eat. I usually just ducked out of conversations about what I was eating because I just didn't want to defend it. I think at one point I told my brother, "I don't question what you eat, so I'd appreciate you not questioning my food choices." That shut him up pretty quick.

Hang in there and just believe you're doing the right thing. I think that speaks louder than words.

Donna - your hair looks so cute! I saw it on FB. Day 7, you're rocking this!!

Holy crap, today was a train wreck! Not eating wise, but in every other possible aspect. I'll save you guys the complaining, but trust me, if this was just a few months ago, I would have wound up at McDonald's, Diet Coke-ing and cookie-ing my life away. That bad.

So, instead Day 6 went like this:

B: homemade sausage with veggies

L: sweet potato and chocolate chili w/ extra veggies (yes I made it again, but I totally screwed it up so it is pretty bland :-(

D: pineapple chicken and some weird red cabbage slaw

Oh, two year old is charging at me as I type. Better click post now!

I'm cracking up at weird red cabbage slaw, Casey!

Thanks for the pep talks on my mom. I wish I had bought ISWF in hard copy - hard to show it on Kindle. But we did talk about it today and she's mildly interested! I'm going to pull up the website for her tonight. Yeah!! And she ate Whole 30 all day because I was doing the cooking. :)

B: sautéed mushrooms and asparagus with tarragon and two fried eggs. Bowl of green beans.

L: curried chicken salad in lettuce wraps, leftover cocoa cauliflower.

S: banana with sun butter

D: will be PP's lemon artichoke chicken with roasted broccoli and leftover squash bake.

Archived