W30 number three......

Donna

Ooh, that sounds promising, Bree!

My husband's reaction to weird red cabbage slaw was, "this tastes like a bathroom." Yeah. I didn't think it was bad, just tasted like vinegar too much.

My daughter helped make it (she pulls up a chair now every time I cook, ready to help) and she actually ate it! I think she's trying more stuff because I make such a big deal about how she made it. Whatever works!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derval, do you have a FB page??? send it to be my message...I put it up there....It is a short bob and I love it!

Bree, once I explain the concept of this eating plan to people, they become intrigued....I LOVE that...I can affect change by example

with my behaviors! (In other people's lives). My husband is stick thin. Doesn't need to lose a shred....But he sees me make a romaine lettuce bun for my grilled burger and does the same....why? It looks healthier! He loves the CSA we joined. He was totally against it. He's like "it's on you." So I paid the 280.00 fee with my own money. I have gone religiously every Thursday to pick up our bounty and pick tomatoes in the summer's heat etc....I bring fresh cut flowers home for our kitchen table. One week I couldn't go because of work, and asked him to shoot there and get the stuff....He LOVED the experience. He saw other husbands there picking up there stuff....He loved you could select your own stuff and it wasn't already boxed on a first come first serve basis. He loved being on a farm. Last night he overheard two husbands saying....."I'm not going out there to cut flowers, it's too hot and she just throws them away in a week." He thought that was funny because this week he brought his scissors and cut us the most beautiful flowers. I didn't ask him to go this week as I would have gone today which is always an option. He was like, "but I enjoy it"....damn funny how that works!

So this a.m. I have a harvest of fresh veggies for my omelette and salad for work...

Casey: Imagine how much worse your day would have felt if you ate bad on top of it??? LOL...Great work, slaying the sugar dragon in the face of everyday opposition!....go Casey, go!

Day 8 and I don't have a full eating plan as of yet....I will menu later after dinner to stay accountable...It will be an omeletter, salad and who knows??? sushi???? We shall see. Back to the jungle again today. First day of school was busy but controllable. The weekend is here....YAY.....back to the gym tonight!

Day 9 menu

Omelette with veggies, watermelon

Salad with fresh turkey, onions, tomato

haven't a clue....will fill in later.

snack will be some mixed nuts I am bringing to the Rutgers football tailgate today.....I plan on eating my salad before the tailgate and bringing my seltzer and nuts for the tail gate....who knows? I might even eat a piece of fruit if so led....

Missed posting yesterday - wow, sooooo crazy. My mom and I are always so ambitious for projects!

Yesterday:

B: at a restaurant on the way to the zoo. Scrambled eggs, grilled ham, banana slices.

L: curried chicken salad in lettuce wraps, snap peas. Did not even try to eat at the zoo - so not W30 friendly!!

S: banana

D: lamb shanks cooked. In the slow cooker all day with rosemary, tomatoes, carrots, and onion. Wow so good. With zucchini noodles and spinach. Mom loved the zucchini noodles!

Today: totally exhausted!

B: sweet potato and mushroom hash with two fried eggs, bowl of broccoli.

S: banana

L: leftover meat balls in tomato sauce, broccoli

D: will be salmon, spinach, maybe some cabbage.

I predict I will be asleep by 9...

Day 10....wow this is now flying by!

So we never got to the Rutgers football game yesterday......Our carpet installer was here from 10am to 6pm and still has to come back on Monday. Can't believe the store sent him alone to take away old carpet and put in an intricate pattern by himself. He is doing such an awesome job.

Ladies, the carpet on those steps was 23 years old!!!!! My 25 year old son was 2 last time we had carpet installed and I ran after him in the house the whole time while they installed carpet in three rooms....I thought of that as they pulled up the carpet yesterday....life is fleeting! Since then I have pulled up all the carpet all over the house and gone to hardwood floors....however....the stairs are too slippery as wood so we decided to keep that....It is split with two landings so we need to be safe....

So last night I ate cabbage/pork stir fry with liquid aminos for dinner

Not sure for today as I am going shopping!

talk later.....

Been busy, so catching up:

Day 7:

B: eggs and brussels sprouts

L: chocolate chili and sweet potato

D: leftover pineapple chicken, cabbage slaw (this stuff is gross the second day!)

S: a couple of eggs.

Day 8:

B: homemade sausage, eggs and brussels sprouts

L: hamburger salad and sweet potato

D: pork steak; broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot; and banana

My nephew's 3rd birthday was yesterday and I went to the party totally unprepared. I ate a big breakfast, so that held me over mostly. I'm not tempted by the pizza and cake stuff so much anymore, but by the end I was wishing I had some food to eat. That's ok, I ate a big fat hamburger salad later!

My husband and I rode 30 miles on the bike yesterday for our date night. It was nice, getting back to the car as the sun set on the lake. We stayed up really late watching this show that we're into right now - Breaking Bad. I was feeling rebellious - staying up until 1 a.m.! Of course, I still woke up early this morning. Strange how that works.

Ugh... I have to meal plan and do some grocery shopping today. I've created a monster. Now, every time I mention making a meal or eating, Vega runs to the kitchen, gets the eggs out of the fridge and pulls her chair up to the counter. Apparently, every meal is breakfast in her mind.

It's very cute, but after making leftovers a couple meals in a row with her, she seemed disappointed there wasn't much to help with. So, I'm going to try to meal plan with her helping in mind. :)

Donna - what a sweet memory over the carpet.

Bree - great job eating out!

Oh, treasure Vega, Casey.....that age is adorable.....

you are doing great even with the pizza/dessert thing. I keep mixed nuts in my car for emergencies so I don't pull through McDonald's if I am famished. Used to do Lara Bars, but they are like crack for me

I usually have a can of tuna, but we're out of them and I didn't get to the store until today. I'm at a place now where I would rather be really hungry than eat a piece of cake, especially because I know that I will get to eat eventually. It's not like I won't have access to healthy food at some point, fortunately.

I can't believe I forgot to mention - I'm back in my pre-pregnancy clothes! Well, some of them. I did get pretty lean the last few months before getting pregnant, so some of that stuff doesn't fit yet. Still, crazy! I just tried on some old shorts for the heck of it yesterday, totally prepared for them to not fit, and to my surprise, they did! So I wore them to the bday party yesterday. :)

yay, Casey, yay....and isn't that the gauge. Not the scale but clothes sizes, how you feel when you exercise and how you look in the mirror...my shape has changed dramatically with these 21 lbs....still have more to go but life is good and best of all I feel great.

Thanks Donna! I'll probably hang around for a bit if you don't mind:)

Wow Donna, 21 pounds is fantastic! I totally don't want to weigh myself tomorrow morning. I kind of like the frame of mind I'm in right now and I don't want to change it one way or another and the scales will do that, I think.

Casey, I love that statement that you'd rather be hungry than eat cake. I felt the same way yesterday when we finished the hike. I was tired, sore and pissy by that point and then we had to walk 3 miles back to the truck because we went down a different trail. And Richard said the word "milkshake" without thinking about it... And I actually was very hungry and no doubt at the moment the milkshake would have made me feel better while I was sucking it down . But it only took me a second to decide that I didn't want to do that. and I would have been ok had he gotten one anyway... Although he didn't, which I thought was kind of sweet.

So you are crazy busy people with very big demands on your lives, so what things have you done to replace the emotional eating? Stress relievers, etc?

Hi Melissa! Way to go not caving after a hike. I have to watch myself after long bike rides. I still carry the "reward" mentality after hours of riding, so I can see that being a challenge!

I've gotten to a place where I've learned a lot of the need to emotionally eat had to do with not taking care of myself or getting help if I needed it. So, I find if I have a day where I feel like eating total garbage because of emotional reasons, I can look at how I've handle the last day or even week and usually can see that I haven't taken enough "me" time, or didn't get help when I needed it. So, if I get to that place where in the past I would normally eat a ton of sugar, now I just reflect on my feelings and then act. I immediately schedule "me" time ASAP or whatever it is that I actually need. In the end, there really never is a time that I need to eat food for emotional reasons. And, eating the food instead of dealing with the emotions doesn't actually do anything for the emotion in the long run. It takes some work to break that habit, though.

I'm also working on living calmer - as in, trying to let the unexpected not totally sidetrack me and stress me out. I'm trying to roll with what is instead of resisting it all the time. I think that's been the biggest stress release I've found, aside from eating clean. Sometimes having too many expectations about how things are supposed to be will only serve to make me miserable when things don't go accordingly. This applies to big and small stuff.

Ok, so 10 days in and I finally got around to adding organ meats in my meals. I'm getting there. I ground up some beef heart and put it in the eggplant strata that I made last night. Had that for lunch today.

I was awake for hours last night with an icky stomach. I don't know what's going on, but since part way through August, it seems like my old IBS symptoms are coming back. I haven't had this issue in years. I thought it was temporary in August, but it came back again earlier this month and hasn't gone away. I'm starting to think I may have to eliminate something else, but I'm not sure what. I suspect fruit and coconut milk affect my digestion, so as of today I'm going to try to cut these out for the next two weeks to see if it gets better. But if that's not it, I'm at a loss what to do next. FODMAPS? Nightshades? I don't even know. Then again, if it is fructose, I might have to cut out some vegetables too and may not even see improvements just cutting out fruit. Ugh.

Welcome Melissa....please do join us as we are strength in numbers and ideas....

Great hike yesterday and I agree with Casey that not to cave at the sound of "milkshake"....that is an accomplishment. You go!

Emotional eating kiillers:

Read a book

Take a walk

Brush your teeth

Write a Gratitude List

take up a new hobby

a cup of steamy herbal tea

talk to a friend

talk to someone who needs someone to talk to them

Meditate

Yoga

find a support network (here)

Read ISWF.....

Just some ideas but I will think of more...

Okay, tonight I had a to die for pulled pork crock pot dish that Jenn on this forum gave me....Oh baby.....that and some mixed steamed veggies and I am in total heaven! The pork was from Whole foods....oh man....

today is Day 11

B: Omelette and watermelon

S: Banana

L: greens, kale, leftover paleo meatloaf

D: Pulled amazing pork and steamed veggies.....

sailing by, yes it is....beautiful cool fall day here in the northeast US.....love

You guys are so uplifting! Thank you for your words of wisdom, both of you. I love the self talk, Casey. I need to do more of it. And journal again. And the list of "diversions" is great too, Donna. It's amazing how brushing your teeth can just scrub out the crap in your head at the same time lol

Casey, have you thought of radically removing more for a week or so? I don't know if I would want to have to go down that road, but if what you are doing now isn't working... Also, the "being present" and not stressing over things that aren't catastrophic took a lot of practice for me. I'm still working n being present, and my first whole 30 helped a lot. But I don't panic so much when things don't go as planned. I've changed my expectations more than anything else. I posted elsewhere here a quote that I hold close. "expectation is premeditated resentment". When I finally wrapped my head around this concept I felt so free in so many ways!

Donna I've been dying for pulled pork but I really don't want to do commercial meat so I was waiting to get to the farmers market this next weekend, hoping that my pork farm friends have some:) I might call the farm and request it, and if not then maybe whole foods.

So yesterday was my day 30, although I don't feel much like having anything that isn't healthy. For the most part.

I had a cup of coffee this morning with half and half and I didt like it at all. Not sure what to think about that? So I dumped it out and got tea lol very weird as I love coffee. I'll have to see if I do any better with the raw cream I picked up on the way home. I might mix it with coconut milk.

The rest of my day was compliant with nothing too exciting, although my co-workers don't now what to think about lamb and asparagus for breakfast lol

Now I'm home and I had most of the remainder of the bratwurst and cabbage and I'm having my first glass of post whole 30 wine. I'm going to try to stick to one glass. Especially since I'm already tired after not sleeping well all weekend. I don't even know why, I should have been wiped after that hike! So I'm hoping I sleep well tonight. And a bottle of wine will have adverse effects, I'm sure lol

We had a lunch meeting today where there was pizza, and I didnt touch it, even though I knew i could. I also still had coconut milk ice creams in the freezer at work, also didn't touch. I stopped at the store and they have this fabulous Camembert cheese that I adore, but I didn't get that either. I'm going to sip my wine, enjoy my evening with a good book and probably a cup of tea, and rest blissfully knowing that I made it through my first post whole 30 day with grace.

Love the carpet installation and cooking helper stories! I remember when my parents got new carpet when I was about 7. My sister and I roller skated all over the house after they took the old stuff out and before the new carpet went in. Super cool.

Yesterday, day 7, ended up being tough. One of my twins slipped and smashed his lip against his teeth - big cut, bleeding lots, and of course he screamed like a banshee. Poor kid - he split his lip open a year ago and needed 5 stitches, and he's been terrified of doctors ever since. So we took him to the ER, and luckily no stitches needed, but of course he was a wreck, so I was a wreck, so the baby was a wreck! After that, I counted It a victory that I ate compliant food when we finally got home. Too much sugary fruit and not close to enough veggies, but since what I really wanted was to order pizza, I'm calling it a win.

Also I'm not doing well on my no-fruit snack goal. Need to concentrate there.

So yesterday:

B: eggs scrambled with smoked salmon and asparagus, bowl of green beans

L: curried chicken salad, plums

S: apple, smoked trout

Hospital snack: larabar

D: hunk of leftover salmon, giant bowl of berries With coconut milk, seven dates with coconut butter

Today:

B: eggs with chicken sausage and broccoli

L: chicken thigh, apple

D: will be steak salad with lots of veggies and avocado basil dressing.

Oh, and here's the lamb shanks recipe - inspired by a pos on balanced bites.

3 lb frozen lamb shanks

One onion, chopped fine

Half a bag of baby carrots

28 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil

About a tsp each basil, oregano, rosemary

A bay leaf

Two big pinches salt

Add everything to crockpot, stir, cook on low 8 hours. I spooned off the grease - it was like an oil slick - and fished out the bones Before serving. David had hhis over rice, I had mine over zucchini noodles and spinach.

Oh wow, I missed a ton of posts. Sorry for the serial posting (and all the darn typos).

Melissa, congrats on finishing! And I love how your tastes have changed. Enjoy that glass of wine!

Casey and Donna, I love these ideas for squishing an emotional eating urge. I never thought I was an emotional eater until this challenge. I'm finding it by far the hardest part.

Donna, share the pork recipe!

Melissa - great job on finishing!

Bree - ER visits are no fun. Glad your little one is ok and you survived it!

Ok, so Day 10 was yesterday:

B: eggs, homemade sausage, butternut squash and veggie scramble

L: eggplant strata with beef heart mixed in and sweet potato

S: almond butter

D: repeat of breakfast.

Not sure how I'm going to handle figuring out the upset digestive track thing, but at this point I'm going to just stick to keeping fruit and coconut milk out for a week or two, just to see if it helps. I'll have to figure out what's next if that doesn't do the trick.

I was hoping my daughter would nap today. I took her out to the playground and a farm to see a bunch of animals. I parked very far away and she ran the whole way there and back. Not looking very promising that this was enough to wipe her out. Clean eating will be the death of me. I think it's giving her too much energy!

Melissa, congrats to you on completing....be very careful....I have gone off road so bad it's hard to go back....stay compliant if you can. A glass of wine is no biggy but watch the sugars and wheats....

Bree: holy cow, what a day and you did not eat junk...incredible resolve....don't miss the ER visits with the little ones at all....

Casey: glad you are trouping along! Vega is probably giving up her naps :(

Day 12

Eggs, banana

salad with pulled pork

ground beef and tons of veggies

nuts

Archived