Trader Joe's Coconut Cream

Laura B

Ok, so I stopped by TJ's on my way home from picking up my pastured eggs and beef bones. I was getting some hot sauce & salmon when I saw a new item--coconut cream. It was right next to the milk so I put it in my basket without checking the ingredients. Sometimes not being in a W30 makes you lazy. :huh:

The ingredients are as follows: COCONUT EXTRACTED, SODIUM CARBOXY METHYL CELLULOSE, XANTHAN GUM, WATER.

What say ye, Whole 9? I am not in a Whole 30 right now (boyfriend is, though) but I still don't want to consume weird stuff.

Well this is in a can, but you are right about the -ose. Since I'm not on a Whole 30 I think it will be alright as long as I don't put it in something the BF will eat. What about xanthan gum? What's up with that?

While the -ose rule IS true about many, many things, I had to turn to the Google (and then the Wiki) about this one. SCMC is not actually a sugar, its a thickener (think guar gum or xanthan gum). However, it's anything but natural...

CMC is used in food science as a viscosity modifier or thickener, and to stabilizeemulsions in various products including ice cream. As a food additive, it has E number E466. It is also a constituent of many non-food products, such asK-Y Jelly, toothpaste, laxatives, diet pills, water-based paints, detergents, textile sizing and various paper products. It is used primarily because it has high viscosity, is non-toxic, and is hypoallergenic. In laundry detergents it is used as a soil suspension polymer designed to deposit onto cotton and other cellulosic fabrics creating a negatively charged barrier to soils in the wash solution. CMC is used as a lubricant in non-volatileeye drops (artificial tears). Sometimes it is methyl cellulose (MC) which is used, but its non-polar methyl groups (-CH3) do not add any solubility or chemical reactivity to the base cellulose.

ETA: Xanthan gum is fine

Laura, you are so right. I never realized to what extent until I started really reading labels. I still love a few of their things but my shopping excursions there are now about every 6 weeks for sardines, almond butter and pomegranate seeds. and some fish. But since my year round farmers market has fresh fish from Boston harbor every week, I'm trying to stick with that. Trader joes has cheaper food than whole foods, and it's a really nice environment, but the foods I can choose there are more and more limited.

Robin, it's crazy what they put in tea! At one of my farmers markets you can get locally roasted teas and coffees and I've gotten a few of those. Just good ingredients, and since it's loose tea it's cheaper in the long run. Makes fantastic iced tea and it's a local family run business.

• 5 years later...

Archived