Starting April 7th

mrsarainey

Hi lo-lo55

I hope the cagey feelings have subsided. I am just saying goodnight to day 15. It's been a trying day and it was hard to resist the biscuits we had at our meeting after school.

I'm reflecting a lot on how my emotions govern my eating habits and it isn't pretty!

Food shopping needs to be top of my job list tomorrow - I've run out of anything tempting.

Have a good day tomorrow, everyone. :)

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, advance warning -- rant on the way. I'm feeling a little sad and discouraged tonight.

Things are going great and I'm loving the W30 for so many reasons -- but I've been a little hurt with how some people have responded to what I'm doing -- particularly my parents. Now, I'm a big girl, married, with a kid of my own for crying out loud, I shouldn't care! 

I had a bit of a bout with anorexia in college (didn't everyone?), and since then, any refusal of food or a certain type of food gets me sideways glances and weird questions.

Today someone asked - "so... how much weight have you lost? because you don't need to lose weight." I told them it wasn't about weight loss and that I didn't even know how much - if any. Then, all these questions about my motivation, which were all answered by - "but you have a great lifestyle already!" "why do you need a reset?" "you've always had a lot of energy..." "humans have been eating grains for hundreds of years..." etc etc etc. 

Someone else also recently ate some dessert in front of me, saying things like ... "oh my god this is so good! are you sure you don't want a bite?" WTF? 

I'm at the point where I don't WANT to explain this to other people - it's become tiresome and I don't think I'm very good at it :)

It also feels awkward because it feels like it's leading to me having to say that something about myself/my eating habits was bad or dysfunctional, which I'm trying to "cure" with these 30 days -- which sounds dramatic and inaccurate. UGH. It makes me want to just go grab some ice cream to prove that I'm not "trying to lose weight." (Even though, yeah, what's so wrong with wanting to get fitter??)

I've eaten so clean today and for the past few weeks, and yet I feel so gross right now.

Anyone else? (PS - so sorry for the rant. The end. I promise no more of these for the rest of the run.)

Hey, River 30 - what is INSIDE you, what you are feeling, and how strong and clean and healthy you feel is ALL YOU NEED.  Say less.  Sort of like when someone asks you to do something you don't want to...."I'd prefer not..." is a perfectly fine and complete response...no reasons, no obligation to deal with the other person's feelings or worries...

So, "I am actually feeling really great and know this is making me healthier..."  or, for those worried about your 'relationship" with food:  "I'm finding this a great way to get my interactions with food into a realy good balance."

Everyone around us (and us, too) have to take complete responsibility for OUR OWN reactions to stuff...and we don't have to make everyone else feel better.

I might also consider short circuiting the barrage of questions with: "Tell you what, I don't really have all the answers, I'm just enjoying what I am finding right now on this plan.  When I'm done, we can talk about it more.  In the meantime, I'd love your support and encouragement."

GRRRR  TIGER BLOOD

lo-lo:

The bone broth is back on the stove again, since I got home from work.  I will cook it all night again tonight and then strain and enjoy (?) tomorrow or Friday.  An adventure.  I'll probably laugh some day in the future when making bbroth becomes a real habit - right now it feels like a jump off the high dive - why, I dunno...

Thanks for your support.

My mum used to make soup stock with bones years ago and it was delicious. It feels a bit like witchcraft, though, with a cauldron of bones bubbling for days! She used to say it made your hair shine but it is fab for healthy minerals. I just don't know if I fancy it on it's own.

River30 - Honestly, I haven't even told that many people I am doing this! Because I feel like i'm not good at explaining it and why I am doing it, and I don't want to hear other peoples opinions! :) 

Also this morning was one of our employee's birthday and we always have a ritual when it's someones birthday we get them a "treat" and enough to share with the office! Soooo I went to the Bakery section, (it was morning and everything smelled fresh and yummy) got some cupcakes, and I get to work and there are also donuts here! How tempting!! - i simply just said, Happy Birthday - gave them to her - and walked away so I didn't have to be around it! 

I think I deserve a medal or at least a gold star sticker for that! The fact that I had to go buy them was the hardest thing ever - WILLPOWER! 

Then I went over to see some family last night and they kept trying to get me to eat spaghetti (they don't know I'm doing the Whole30) I just kept saying I needed to get home, but really I just wanted to go home and cook some food myself! 

I also ordered a spiralizer, to make noodles out of zucchini and stuff! I can't wait till it gets here and I can make stuff with that! 

I seriously love the foods I have been making, I don't even really want to stop after 30 days! 

But this morning I felt weird when I woke up, I was really hot - almost like I was hungover or something (promise I didn't have any alcohol) It was weird! But I read the timeline thing on this website so I think it was sort of normal to feel weird! 

Hope everyone is going well! 

• Administrators

I think I deserve a medal or at least a gold star sticker for that! The fact that I had to go buy them was the hardest thing ever - WILLPOWER! 

One gold star sticker flying through the universe towards you!  :) 

Way to go. Carissa! I'm not sure I could make it through that torture you experienced. Today I came home sorta grouchy and tired, and really wanted to wash the feelings away with a glass of wine, but I got beyond that and made dinner and now feel great to have made it through another day. It IS very tempting to think I've already gotten this nailed down and can slip now, but I am taking your word for it everyone. 30 days is the magic....but then again I am nervous about quitting then!! Oh well will take it as it comes and not go off into the future too much.

My trousers are looser too, Tulip. Feels GREAT.

Good morning, day 17!

What a revealing process this is! It is really laying bare how much I normally eat to cope with life's ups and downs. I'm feeling proud of myself for not using food to help deal with my emotions, though.

I definitely also have food boredom so must get my backside into gear to cook something tempting this weekend.

Have a great day everyone!

lo-lo:

The bone broth is back on the stove again, since I got home from work.  I will cook it all night again tonight and then strain and enjoy (?) tomorrow or Friday.  An adventure.  I'll probably laugh some day in the future when making bbroth becomes a real habit - right now it feels like a jump off the high dive - why, I dunno...

Thanks for your support.

We make the 36 hour kind of bone broth but cook it straight through.   I'm home so I can watch the stove.   I hadn't thought about making it in shifts because of work.  I hope it turns out well.   It's absolutely delicious and makes you feel so darned good.  I freeze it in individual bags and I thaw by placing that freezer bag in pan of water and letting it heat back up to the temp you like.  I don't put it in the microwave.   You can freeze individual 1-2 cup servings.  It's perfect in the mornings,  lunch, or dinnertime.

DSC_0509.0.jpg

Half way.

Feeling lazy and tired today.

Craving badly. I am so freaking sick of the sight and smell of Easter chocolate. The family is in the lounge at the moment sharing a big egg while I sit here and feel grumpy about it.

HI all! 

Kage, first of all thanks for sharing that similarly rant-y post of yours from last week. You were smart to start a whole new thread :) I'm feeling a bit similar to you today. 

Yesterday I made asparagus and the "green chicken" from nom nom and it is so delightful! Made an extra big batch of the marinade so I can continue to drizzle it on all sorts of stuff. Also, found out the hard way that I am badly allergic to macadamia nuts, after making a mayo with macadamia oil! EEEK - I could barely swallow for a long time.

I'm booked for a fun class at my gym tomorrow morning and am looking forward to it. Need to plow through a lot of work today and then devote the weekend to PLAY -- maybe to include a manicure.

What's everyone else doing for fun these days?? 

Hi Kage

I sympathise a little - we have 'tarts club' here on Thursday when a colleague makes something like cake or dessert for everyone.  I'm not in the club so I have no excuse to join in, but I usually steal a corner of something.  Not today.

I bet if you tried that chocolate, it wouldn't taste as good as you expected it to - especially as you have almost weaned yourself off the stuff.

Hang in there and concentrate on how fabulous you will feel tomorrow if you don't have it. 

It's definitely not worth starting again.

Hi River - for fun, I am trying out a yoga class tonight.  I usually fall asleep on the sofa around 8.30pm so I am NO FUN.  The class is 7.45pm so I should experience the whole evening awake - and hopefully refreshed and mindful. 

We'll see!

Day 16

On the downhill run.

Tiger blood come at me.....any time now....waiting patiently......

I was pretty close to bailing on the whole30 last night. Not in a start over kind of way either. No desire to go back to eating gluten or dairy (have been pretty much dairy free for over a year since my first whole30) but a few things have happened this week and I really want to have a glass of wine to just decompress and relax. I tried drawing zentangles instead, yeah that was ok but the wine was still calling (especially with my "supportive" husband having a drink next to me grrrr.

Slept 12 hours last night. Feeling strong this morning. Going to need it tonight when I go to a friend's birthday. At least these friends wont give me a hard time for not drinking.

Tulip and River - how were your classes? i will be back at the gym next week when my kids are back at school. Looking forward to it although i think my PT may kill me lol

Kage,

I know what you are talking about. The thing I miss most is a glass of wine once in a while. I wasn't about to quit but got really annoyed with the whole30 last night. My pants don't feel loser, tiger blood hasn't arrived, my sleeping didn't get that much better...So why I am I even bothering???

I won't quit though, and I will just see at the end what actually happened. I do have Hashimoto's, so maybe every change just takes a little longer.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Hi Kage

You have fought a psychological battle and WON! Your massive sleep will help to renew your resolve.

Good luck at the party and enjoy being with supportive friends. You will be able to feel slightly superior as everyone else looks like a bit of a twit after a few drinks. And imagine how great you will feel in the morn ing. :)

Don't give uup, Karen. The best may still be to come. Plus, we need you to encourage us. Check out the whole 30 timeline - I'll bet you'll find some encouragement there. The yoga class was fun and, this morning, I really know it's happened. Ouch!

We can do it!

Kage, Karinin hamburg- I don't need to post because you both just did it for me!! Sleeping is crappy, pants feel tight, no Tiger Blood!!! I was reading thorugh some really old journals back to three years ago when I did a 4 week cleanse that was the start for me turning my life around.

I had  not discovered Paleo then but this cleanse was similar- as in no sugar,dairy, booze but there was little meat especailly the first week because each week was focusing on a different organ and the first was kidneys so no meat- however there was lots o brown rice and quinua (can't spell). Anyway I' can't remember that much about it except for I was quite hungry BUT I remember waking up feeling groggy and then 10 minutes later haivng boundless amounts of energy!  At the end of the 4 weeks I have dropped 20 pounds!!!

So where am I going with this?

I know that a moderater commented earlier that it's not about the weight loss- it's about gaining good habits and feeling healthy. Well, I've been  tweaking the my diet ever since really and now I am down 60ish pounds and for me it is about the weight-loss I've got another 40 or so pounds to lose and I want it GONE! Plus I was hoping to feel good too.

Thanks for listening to my rant folks!! It feels really good to get it off of my chest and as much as I feel bad for those who are at the same spot as me- I'm happy that at least I'm not alone here but I do know that we're all doing it for different reasons.

In protest I broke rules and had a large coffee this morning before my first meal-it was great!!! :)

Hey, bone broth-ers:

I saw something on the nom nom website about bone broth potentially being a breeding ground for bacteria and warning about storage...now am wondering about my multi-day cooking method and this batch I have.....hmmm

I wanted to say something about that to you.....I am concerned about the multi day cooking in shifts method.  It should only be stored after cooking for about 3 days in the fridge.   You can freeze it immediately into individual servings (I do)...and it will keep for some time frozen.   But merg, I was thinking about your multi day shift method when I used some for a soup today. 

How many days have you been at it now?  :lol: 

Merg - many of us have had food poisoning once or twice in our lives.  The sickest I've ever been was from a Ma and Pa sub shack.   They would leave the meats out on the counter for hours while fixing subs and then throw back into the cooler...back in and out for days at a time.   I was out cold on the floor for 24 hours from a pastrami sub before someone found me.  Merg....I don't think multi day cooking is the way to go.  Just a feeling I have in my "gut".   :D  I'm not a fan of subs now.  I find myself eyeballing the back counters and wondering how long those meats have been left out at room temp and how many days they've been taken in/out cooler to the open air.   :o 

• Administrators

I know that a moderater commented earlier that it's not about the weight loss- it's about gaining good habits and feeling healthy. Well, I've been  tweaking the my diet ever since really and now I am down 60ish pounds and for me it is about the weight-loss I've got another 40 or so pounds to lose and I want it GONE! Plus I was hoping to feel good too.

In protest I broke rules and had a large coffee this morning before my first meal-it was great!!! :)

Hey Lolo, first, coffee before breakfast isn't a break in actual rules, just going outside of our recommendations. I often (read: every weekend) have my coffee first but I always make sure that breakfast is still within the first hour of waking and that the volume I eat is what is standard for me since coffee can be an appetite suppressant.

As far as wanting weight gone, I understand. Do remember though that weight loss is less about caloreis in vs calories burned and more about (read: only about) your body being hormonally safe to release weight. If your body has a lot of internal healing to process it could be prioritizing that over weight loss. Keep on keeping on, eat healthy, whole foods in a quantity that is appropriate to your context and whatever weight you have to lose will go eventually. Rushing, restricting, stressing about it doesn't help. If you are planning to keep eating Whole30 style (protein, veggies, fat) for life, this will happen for you in time.

• Administrators

Hey, bone broth-ers:

I saw something on the nom nom website about bone broth potentially being a breeding ground for bacteria and warning about storage...now am wondering about my multi-day cooking method and this batch I have.....hmmm

Are you cooking it in shifts so that it's only on when you're home? If that's the case, I personally would not. Get a slow cooker, you can find a good one for about $20. I do mine for up to 72 hours at a time but I wouldn't start and stop it, too much time in the inbetweens for bacteria to grow.

Kage, Karinin hamburg- I don't need to post because you both just did it for me!! Sleeping is crappy, pants feel tight, no Tiger Blood!!! I was reading thorugh some really old journals back to three years ago when I did a 4 week cleanse that was the start for me turning my life around.

I had  not discovered Paleo then but this cleanse was similar- as in no sugar,dairy, booze but there was little meat especailly the first week because each week was focusing on a different organ and the first was kidneys so no meat- however there was lots o brown rice and quinua (can't spell). Anyway I' can't remember that much about it except for I was quite hungry BUT I remember waking up feeling groggy and then 10 minutes later haivng boundless amounts of energy!  At the end of the 4 weeks I have dropped 20 pounds!!!

So where am I going with this?

Thanks for listening to my rant folks!! It feels really good to get it off of my chest and as much as I feel bad for those who are at the same spot as me- I'm happy that at least I'm not alone here but I do know that we're all doing it for different reasons.

Lo-lo.  I get it.  It can't happen soon enough.  I know....I know.   I felt that way in the beginning but after almost a year, I really understand why it's important to goooooo Oooooo soooooo slooooow.

There are individuals who've had the big weight release only to revert back to their old food habits...almost immediately. Sticking the landing is more important than going fast.  Many are doing this for the weight release and there are others who fly under the radar....keeping silent about it.  :ph34r: 

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ring.. of truth ringing in your ears.  It may take longer than 30 days for the Whole 30 concepts to kick in and really make perfect sense.   When they do, you'll embrace all of the healthy.  You will want to go slow so that you're not losing lean muscle mass at a rate faster than your fat loss.  You will want to maintain your skin's elasticity which does not come back if you go fast.  

Try gentle change.  Think long term success.   If at the end of 6 months or a year, you were eating healthy whole foods and virtually stopped all thrill eating and were able to maintain this new health journey going forward as a maintenance lifestyle - would you consider it a successful strategy?

Gentle permanent change for the WIN.   

Sticking the landing is important to me, far more important than going fast.

Evening everyone

My yoga class was fun last night but, boy, do I know i've been! I am very stiff and, although I don't have any cravings, I'm a bit grumpy about the amount of chocolate in the house - that everyone else is eating. I know Kage will sympathise.

I think I have adapted to black coffee now. I don't fancy coffee or tea with milk. I never thought that would happen.

Favourite recipe suggestions would be very welcome.

Hope all's well. :)

Archived