New member on day 8

alanwharty

Good morning to whoever is seeing this.  Let me see, how do I start?  Ok, I will be 59 in a few weeks, when I was 53 I had a 46" waist.  I need say no more on that other than I am 5'10" tall.  I now have a 34" waist and I did it by running and eating better.  Obviously I could tell you lots of stories about what I overcame and people I inspired but no time now for that.  Even though I lost all that weight and am in good shape, I have been stuck at 210 lbs for 2 years now.  I have even done several master cleanses over the last 6 years which were incredible but I always went back to my weight.  The scary thing is this, I had some injuries which curbed my running for the last year and a half and even though still active as I spin in the gym plus ride on the road, my weight has gone up about 10 lbs and for anyone out there that was heavy (for a kinder term) knows, this is a very disconcerning thing as the body, I'm told, always wants to go back to where it was.  I will not let it!  So, my daughter-in-law was over at Easter and was on day 3 of Whole30.  Well to make a long story short, I started the Tuesday after and am now on day 8.  I am doing ok and I am running again.  I have definate "inflammation" issues so I'm hoping that I am going to have some clarification on this by the end.  However, I guess my main question right now is this, I have been very good and no cheating..but believe me I am eating.  You talk about palm size portions...I will have 3 baked potatoes and 3 burgers and that is just one meal.  I'm hoping maybe that I am compensating for the lack of yogurt and Eziekiel bread and pro-bars, etc, well you get my point?  I am hoping that as I go I can gradually gain my self-control back on my portions.  Until then, do I say I'm pre-Whole30 and not say day 1 until I can have a 2,000 cal day or do I keep counting?  I have not had any added sugar or carbs but I have been eating plenty of fruit and meat and veges and nuts (and almond butter).  I also drink at least 120 oz of good water every day.  Oh boy, aren't you glad you met me??             

• Administrators

Until then, do I say I'm pre-Whole30 and not say day 1 until I can have a 2,000 cal day or do I keep counting? 

Whole30 doesn't count calories so there is no need to wait. If you haven't eaten anything noncompliant then you are still doing a Whole30. I would recommend that you up your intake of green and non starchy veggies if you have weight loss as a goal, three baked potatoes is a huge carbohydrate hit. Three burgers might sound like a lot but depending on how large your hands are, I suspect it's just slightly over 2 palms?

You mention "master cleanse" so my suspicion is that you are nutrient depleted overall and this need for large quantities of food is really just your body begging for nutrients. It should regulate as you keep feeding yourself nutrient dense foods 3 times per day. One caution I would make is to watch yourself and see if you are getting hungry at 4-5 hours post-meal. If you're not, you're probably eating too much. Also make sure that you have 1-2 thumbs of fat with each meal as that will trigger the satiety link in your brain. 1-2 thumbs or half to whole avocado or handful olives.

Don't let the fruits push the veggies off your plate either, eating a lot of fruit can slow the bodies eventual regulation of blood sugar and appetite signals. We recommend 1-2 servings of fruit per day and only with a main meal, not on its own.

Let us know if you have any questions or if we can help in any way. :D

My first whole 30 (2.5 years ago) I craved nothing but fatty cuts of red meat for 3 days straight.  I was worried a little but it was suggested that I roll with it.  So I did.  Eventually I regulated and became more in tune with what my body needed.  Craving potato chips - increase salt a bit and starchy carbs.

Craving bacon and fatty cuts of meat? - need to increase fat.

Cheese? - saltier fatty creamy foods - olives and avocados work well here.  Even prosciutto works well.

Please stay away from the calorie counting, embrace nutrient dense whole foods, and go with what your body signals are telling you.  Yes - 3 baked potatoes a 3 burgers does sound like a lot - but let's roll with it for now.  Eventually your body will regulate itself.

Thanks for reply's!  Ok, quick summary.  I get up at 3 AM and start work by4 AM.  I start every morn with a lg glass of organic fresh squeezed lemon juice with a pinch of cayenne pepper in it.  That's one lemon and water...nothing else added but the Cay pep.  I'm not sure but I may be breaking the rules here as I'm sort of fishing for a little guidance.  If I am you can bounce me out!  So, let's go with what I had today already.  6 AM I had an apple and sliced it and had almond butter with each slice.  Then I had about 6 or 7 baby carrots with some AB.  Yes I love Almond Butter.  Then at 8 AM I had an avacado and an orange and a cup of mixed nuts (mostly cashews and macadamia's) with a banana.  At 12 I had a grapefruit and when I got home I had 3 small baked potatoes and some turkey.  I just had another banana and some almond butter.  Oh one other quick thing, actually immediately when I got home I had a glass of a mixture we make in vitamix.  Nothing is wasted, it is not a juicer.  It is water, some kale and lettuce, I mixed some cherries and blueberries in.  I try to have one of these every day.  I am probably done for the day but maybe a little something later.  I did buy some Rx bars but are saving them for after completion of 30 days....right?  Ok, so how bad am I?       

thanks and I will start "heading" towards that guideline.  I have definitely "freelanced" my way thru so far....hey, but at least no carbs (bread and stuff) and no added sugars.  I am dying to try the Rx bars...I may have my wife hide them! 

Up your fats & that'll sort the Rx craving out sharpish....

Oh, and lose the smoothie - it doesn't send the same signals to the brain as food does & may play havoc with your blood sugar levels.

THREE baked potatoes though? I'm impressed - and craving a baked potato (hold the butter & cheese!!)  :D

• Administrators

Thanks for reply's!  Ok, quick summary.  I get up at 3 AM and start work by4 AM.  I start every morn with a lg glass of organic fresh squeezed lemon juice with a pinch of cayenne pepper in it.  That's one lemon and water...nothing else added but the Cay pep.  I'm not sure but I may be breaking the rules here as I'm sort of fishing for a little guidance.  If I am you can bounce me out!  So, let's go with what I had today already.  6 AM I had an apple and sliced it and had almond butter with each slice.  Then I had about 6 or 7 baby carrots with some AB.  Yes I love Almond Butter.  Then at 8 AM I had an avacado and an orange and a cup of mixed nuts (mostly cashews and macadamia's) with a banana.  At 12 I had a grapefruit and when I got home I had 3 small baked potatoes and some turkey.  I just had another banana and some almond butter.  Oh one other quick thing, actually immediately when I got home I had a glass of a mixture we make in vitamix.  Nothing is wasted, it is not a juicer.  It is water, some kale and lettuce, I mixed some cherries and blueberries in.  I try to have one of these every day.  I am probably done for the day but maybe a little something later.  I did buy some Rx bars but are saving them for after completion of 30 days....right?  Ok, so how bad am I?       

Where is your protein, Alan??

Can I break down what I read here?

Up at 3am - no food for 3 hours, just lemon water...which starts your digestive system but then no food is forthcoming

6am, apple & AB

8am, avocado, orange, nuts, banana

Noon, grapefruit.

So basically for 9 hours you got by on a lemon water, 5 fruits and some nuts?  It's no bloody wonder you're eating 3 baked potatoes and 3 burger patties, your body is starving!

Food that is blended (whether it is blended or juiced doesn't really matter) does not react the same way in your body as food that you chew.  It is absorbed extremely quickly by your body and because you have a pretty high quantity of fruit in there, it's going to be sugar bomb.

PS.  No carbs? Apple, orange, banana, grapefruit, 3 baked potatoes, cherries, blueberries, banana again.  Ya, you're eating carbs. Just sayin'.  ;)

To add to what the others have said, here's how you make meals in Whole30:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein (with eggs, it's how many whole eggs can you hold in your hand)

2. 1-2 or more thumb-size portions of fat (note that nuts are a fat source only for Whole30)

3. 1-3 cups of veggies

Do that three times a day, the first time within one hour of waking. Each of your meals should satisfy you for 4-5 hours. If a meal does not satisfy you for that long, eat a mini-meal featuring protein, fat, and veggies. And the next day, eat a bigger Meal One (what you used to call breakfast in your pre-Whole30 days ;)  ). These template portions are minimums.

Fruit is optional on Whole30. Eat 1 or two pieces per day if you choose to include it, and with a meal only.

Nuts and nut butters are a fat source on Whole30, not a protein source. Keep them to a minimum because they can keep your sugar dragon roaring, they don't fill you up as well as an actual meal, and they cause digestive distress for many.

As you report your sample day, you did not eat any meals. You featured fruits and nut butters and pulverized fruit/veg combos. Eating that way will leave you nutritionally depleted and absolutely ravenous.

Eat meals. Make each one count. You can do it!

thank you all very much!!  Night night....I will post again in a few days...oh one other quicky,,,,I do punch out at work 2 or 3 mornings a week and go to the local Y at 5:45 AM and spin for an hour,  When I come back I always have a glass of coconut water and 2 scoops of Mercola's Whey Protein powder.  Is this ok? 

thank you all very much!!  Night night....I will post again in a few days...oh one other quicky,,,,I do punch out at work 2 or 3 mornings a week and go to the local Y at 5:45 AM and spin for an hour,  When I come back I always have a glass of coconut water and 2 scoops of Mercola's Whey Protein powder.  Is this ok? 

When you work out, you can have a pre-workout meal of protein and fat (for instance, a hard boiled egg), and then a post-workout meal of lean protein and carbs (for instance, chicken breast and sweet potato).

Whey is not Whole30 compliant, and protein powders/drinks are not part of Whole30. We really really do want you to eat actual food, each time you eat.

could I please have some "site" help?  I posted a new topic this morn and now I can't find it.  Only reason I find this one I did yesterday is because I put my name in search and it came up but the new one I did today doesn't.  Is there a button I'm missing somewhere?  Thanks!!

• Administrators

Here's the link to today's post.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/26737-adjusted-my-food-for-wed-415/#entry281488

You can click your name and then click "Topics" on your page and that will show you all the topics that you started.  "Posts" shows you the most recent posts you've made but would not include the first post when starting a Topic.  ;)

Archived