Oops...potato. Start over?

Darien

Hi,

This is my first post. I am on day 6 officially, although I have been eating gradually cleaner for the last month before my official start. We hosted a French exchange student for 3 weeks after I read the book, so started after she left. Having some time to prepare allowed me to do lots of research, so I was really ready and I've been eating super clean during my Whole30. Veggies, veggies, veggies.

Last night I hosted my book group. I was so good: I served wine and did not have any. I made a Whole30 meal for 6, with everything delicious and compliant from appetizers to dessert (fruit salad). I roasted a leg of lamb (locally raised), and I roasted some multicolored new potatoes along with the lamb. I ate a few pieces, several of them purple. Maybe one new potato total.

Then this morning I was re-reading the elimination chapter of the book, and realized it says no white potato.

So do I start over? Or do I chalk it up to "not ideal" and just keep going?

We will probably go an additional week anyway, because my daughter is starting after she attends a party this weekend, so it isn't a huge deal to start over, but I am just wondering what others think.

Thanks.

Darien

• Moderators

The white potato doesn't cause any harm, so you're okay to just keep going. One big reason white potatoes are out is because they are relatively high in carbs and low in nutrition and too many people eat too many potatoes. The Whole30 asks us to learn to eat something else for a while. Actually, I missed the part about no white potatoes when I did my first Whole30 and ate them off a buffet in a Greek restaurant every Thursday for three weeks before I reread the guidelines. Things worked out for me anyway.

Hey, sympathising with you here because I have just been out for dinner and was halfway through my halloumi starter before I remembered that we're not meant to eat dairy. What on earth happened to my brain? I had a complete blank on it! I'm Day 5 and wondering how to treat it because I desperately don't want it to signify 'the beginning of the end' or something else. Have been feeling so good and motivated.

Well, with cheese you should start over -- dairy is a big allergen for a lot of people. But it's not "the beginning of the end" -- just learn from it, keep on with your 30, and tack on a few extra days at the end.

BTW, I make Homer Simpson noises whenever I'm around halloumi, so I totally sympathize.

Darien -

A cough drop isn't likely to cause enough trouble for you to start over - I'd just chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on.

Charlotte -

Unfortunately dairy will cause enough trouble to mess up the good you've got going. But like befab said, just add the extra to the end and keep on keepin on :0)

• 2 months later...

Glad to hear white potatoes will not be a deal breaker. I have them maybe 1x a week and do not need to loose any weight and have athletic build 5'8" and 132 lbs with low body fat - athletic build. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

Well, eating them once before realizing that they're not allowed and consciously eating off plan once a week because you don't have weight to lose are two different things here.

Yes, post W30, for a woman with your context, white potatoes are probably a good starch source for you, but if this is your first W30, we really encourage you to live life without them for a month. For variety and a reason to try new foods, if not for the "just in case" reason.

Archived