Starting 27th April

Amz

Hi Gina and Amy, & all -

It sounds like planning & pre-prep is something a lot of us are thinking about this week, which makes total sense, esp. for us newbies as we figure it out for the first time.

I'd started another thread after a meal I made on Day 2 - it was experimental and turned out to taste awful to me. Because I had no more time and didn't have much in the way of extras or leftovers or things like compliant hotdogs (I am so worried about that being a no-breaks item for me, so I've not stocked such things), I was left without many options. Several great posts responses made suggestions about things to have on-hand as much as possible: ground-meat patties, chicken or tuna salad w/ mayo, HB or deviled eggs, snackable veg, and roasted potatoes or starch veg. I didn't have any of these proteins ready or starches ready-made, and I learned a valuable lesson.

So, for the next few days (and likely longer), I'm in the zone to have more things prepped as well as work on curbing snack cravings since I'll know that good food is available and at the ready, just a refrigerator away. :-) Time to modify some habits!

Have a great day, everyone.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My day four was great! I woke up with so much energy!!! I was looking for stuff to do around the house!! I was worried that my day off would be really hard being at home all day but it really wasn't bad. At this moment, at 9:15pm is when the munchies creep in, watching the football draft wishing I could grab a handful of my sons Doritos !!! I made a great Paleo taco skillet last night that was so dang good I made sure to have extra for lunch today. So far one of the more filling and satisfying meals I've had.

Yes, I'm journaling as well!  Started with just one or two sentences because I wanted to compare how I felt with the typical timeline.  But ended up writing paragraphs!  I guess I have a lot to say about food.  ;-)   I have been snacking a bit (although on compliant foods) which I know I need to manage, but otherwise have been doing and feeling fine.  I think it's mostly out of habit, so I need to really stop myself and think about it -- and then I probably wont need it.  Also think I need to eat bigger portions and more fat at meals.

I've definitly started eating bigger meals hoping it would keep the munchies away, so far so good I guess but I'm not feeling guilty about grabbing a handful grapes. I eat sunflower seeds like a baseball player too so I'll munch on those while watching tv....I spit the shells in a cup though, not all over the floor :)

So I'm keeping track of things on the worksheet. It's silly, but the feeling I get when making a smiley face each day after I finish my exercise is a little shot of fun, excitement, and accomplishment. I'm imagining seeing all 30 smiley faces lined up & looking *GOOD*, and it makes me want to get one more on the page.

Hi Espie. Quick question. Where can I find the worksheet you mention? I looked in both books and the website and can't seem to find it. Thx!

I had a great week up until last night.  I could not sleep!  I felt like I was on a caffeine high. It's weird being tired enough to fall asleep and then not being able to sleep longer than a couple of hours.  Hoping this will all settle down soon...I know it will eventually!  Meanwhile, I'm headed to the store with a manageable grocery list to cook a few things in advance.  Have a great weekend everyone!

Hi Espie. Quick question. Where can I find the worksheet you mention? I looked in both books and the website and can't seem to find it. Thx!

Good morning dear Gina! The worksheet was one of the great links in the Day0 mail from The Whole30 Daily (which I'm loving, $15 well spent). The key content is all available on the website - just one more reason I am so happy with the Hartwigs & their work, but there are extra nuggets of goodness each day in the Daily.

I had a great week up until last night.  I could not sleep!  I felt like I was on a caffeine high. It's weird being tired enough to fall asleep and then not being able to sleep longer than a couple of hours.  Hoping this will all settle down soon...I know it will eventually!  Meanwhile, I'm headed to the store with a manageable grocery list to cook a few things in advance.  Have a great weekend everyone!

From what I've read, your huge increase in energy is pretty common! Here's hoping you get used to it and/or find ways to burn it so you're sleeping better soon.

Have a great Day 5!

Good morning dear Gina! The worksheet was one of the great links in the Day0 mail from The Whole30 Daily (which I'm loving, $15 well spent). The key content is all available on the website - just one more reason I am so happy with the Hartwigs & their work, but there are extra nuggets of goodness each day in the Daily.

Oh yes! I am subsriber to the daily and remember seeing this now. I guess I just outed myself that I did not do the goal stepping action. oops!! ;)

I like it also - it;s the first thing I read every day!

Day 5! Woo!

How is everyone doing? It's been fun reading about what each person is experiencing. Anyone nervous or excited for their first Whole30 weekend?

Woke up feeling a bit thick - It was a natural wake-up, which has been fun as for the past few days I'm waking minutes before my alarm not after it (and 5 courses of the snooze button!). But maybe a bit of carb hangover because it felt like I was thinking and moving through sludge for the first 30 minutes of my day.

But now, after coffee & canned lite coconut milk & some moving around, head's cleared, I feel better, and am ready to get going with Day 5.

I made a "cauliflower rice" pilaf last night, and it was ridiculously good. I saw a recipe at The Clothes Make the Girl, and then modified it for what I had on hand. Steamed the cauli, ran it through the grater in my food processor. Then sautéed onion, red bell pepper, and some pepitas with ghee. Added a heaping 3-4 cups of the cauli and continued to brown, added onion & garlic powder, a dash of paprika, and some salt/pepper. OMG if you are missing your rice TRY IT!

Have a great Day 5 everyone!

I guess I just outed myself that I did not do the goal stepping action. oops!! ;)

I like it also - it;s the first thing I read every day!

This made me laugh. I imagine we'll all be "outing ourselves" on a few things during our Whole30s!

I read it first thing too, and then love the little extra at the end of the day. It's another one of those small rewards that keep me going, like the smiley face on my worksheet. :-)

Hello Everyone, 

Just wanted to join this thread because it is very active, very informative and very supportive so all the things I need. I started Whole30 on April 28th but I I did start eating clean on April 1, just didn't give up dairy (greek yogurt for bkfst often) or sugar (was still using a little artificial sugar, and chewing gum). I lost 16 lbs (of water weight and bloat for sure), and still would like to drop another 40 lbs. I stumbled on the Whole30, and thought that it would be a great idea to reset my metabolism and find out what foods are interfering with good health. So.... read the book, did away with the dairy and sugar, stopped weighing in, and am here on my Day 4 feeling great! Love reading what everyone has to say and look forward to taking this journey with all of you!!! 

Have a happy healthy day everyone!!

Hello Susabella, so glad you're on the thread! I'd given up dairy for about 2 months before I started, but not grains or sugar. Wow, what a difference it makes when all three are out of my life... I would never have believed it if I didn't experience it.

Looking forward to reading more about your Whole30!

Happy Day 5: This is my favorite salad to have at the end of some of my meals... Monkey Salad.  I add fresh pineapple as well.  YUMMERS!!! http://goodcheapeats.com/2013/02/monkey-salad/ 

Hi Alisa! I saw your other "Starting" thread, glad to see you here. How's it going - I am loving that you're going solo in a house of 8 (did I get the number correct?), that's great!

Do you do the cooking for all, or are you modifying for yourself?

• Administrators

Happy Day 5: This is my favorite salad to have at the end of some of my meals... Monkey Salad.  I add fresh pineapple as well.  YUMMERS!!! http://goodcheapeats.com/2013/02/monkey-salad/ Monkey-Salad-10-500x333_thumb.jpg

Hi Alisa,

"Monkey Salad" is one of those things that is technically compliant by the ingredients but absolutely not sanctioned by Whole30, sorry.  Fruit, especially bananas, on its own packs a wallop to your blood sugar.  This breakfast is also missing protein entirely.  Many people who eat fruit in the morning report having cravings and snacky desires all throughout the day, sometimes manifesting as uncontrollable cravings by the evening.

This is one of those things that technically you can eat.....but in practice will inhibit good results.  We recommend the meal template (linked in my signature below) for every meal; protein, veggies and fat.

Hi Alisa! I saw your other "Starting" thread, glad to see you here. How's it going - I am loving that you're going solo in a house of 8 (did I get the number correct?), that's great!

Do you do the cooking for all, or are you modifying for yourself?

Yes, I am in a household of 8.  I cook for 7 of us.  I try to make something that will work for me as well as them, such as Taco Salad, Hamburgers, Spaghetti (I have sauce over zoodles).  This week I have spent a lot of time in the kitchen trying to figure things out, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Hi Alisa,

"Monkey Salad" is one of those things that is technically compliant by the ingredients but absolutely not sanctioned by Whole30, sorry.  Fruit, especially bananas, on its own packs a wallop to your blood sugar.  This breakfast is also missing protein entirely.  Many people who eat fruit in the morning report having cravings and snacky desires all throughout the day, sometimes manifesting as uncontrollable cravings by the evening.

This is one of those things that technically you can eat.....but in practice will inhibit good results.  We recommend the meal template (linked in my signature below) for every meal; protein, veggies and fat.

I don't eat this by itself.  In my post I said that I have it at the end of some of my meals... such as with my big plate of meat and veggies.  I should have taken a picture of that too, so people aren't confused.  I do appreciate the heads up.  I am a rule keeper and want to do these 30 days exactly right.  :)

• Administrators

I don't eat this by itself.  In my post I said that I have it at the end of some of my meals... such as with my big plate of meat and veggies.  I should have taken a picture of that too, so people aren't confused.  I do appreciate the heads up.  I am a rule keeper and want to do these 30 days exactly right.  :)

Oh, so you did, sorry, I missed that.    Monkey salad is one of those pervasive things that shows up on the internet and can be highly problematic for folks.

Oh, so you did, sorry, I missed that.    Monkey salad is one of those pervasive things that shows up on the internet and can be highly problematic for folks.

I totally agree.  There are some websites that I have come across that I can tell they were not completely following the program... Looks like they are doing a modified version.  I will add in all caps "EAT WITH PROTEIN & VEGGIES" to the original post, so I don't lead anyone astray. 

Guest testadura

On day 5 going well and feeling great, but now reading this I am confused...

I thought we could have fruit with lunch and dinner?

But the meal template says only 'occasionally...'

Please advise and congrats to us all making it this far! :-)

• Administrators

On day 5 going well and feeling great, but now reading this I am confused...

I thought we could have fruit with lunch and dinner?

But the meal template says only 'occasionally...'

Please advise and congrats to us all making it this far! :-)

We recommend fruit as an option, 1-2 pieces per day and always with a main meal.  Fruit is completely optional though, you don't have to have it.

Day 5 is almost in the books.   Overall, it was a good day.   This afternoon was rough in that there was a retirement party for a co-worker.  The sweets looked awesome.  The punch looked awesome.   The cheese looked awesome.   My water did not taste awesome :(   However, I stayed away from temptation.   I think it had an emotional impact on me=before the party was I feeling good and lots of energy.   After the party I wish I could take a nap I am so tired.      Hopefully my energy will pick up when I leave the office.   I have lots to do to get ready for the weekend.   I still have not figured out exactly what I am going to do to keep my daughter and myself on track, but I will get it figured out because failing to plan is planning to fail.

Day 5 ✔️

I work in a restaurant...it's good and bad, lots of temptation but I also have whatever kind of food I want pretty much at my disposal! I've been able to keep temptation away and have been able to eat stuff I don't have at home.

A new Amish bakery opened up in town last week and our awesome managers got donuts for everyone...I didn't even look twice at them!! Even as people were walking by eating the scrumptious, frosted, sugared, sprinkled, custard filled EVIL donuts!! The Friday bartenders special, didn't even smell it!!

If someone would have told me I'd feel this good just 5 days in, I'd never believe them. I gotta say this is actually kinda fun in a challenging kind of way!

Hope everyone's having great days!

Day 5 is almost in the books.   Overall, it was a good day.   This afternoon was rough in that there was a retirement party for a co-worker.  The sweets looked awesome.  The punch looked awesome.   The cheese looked awesome.   My water did not taste awesome :(   However, I stayed away from temptation.   I think it had an emotional impact on me=before the party was I feeling good and lots of energy.   After the party I wish I could take a nap I am so tired.      Hopefully my energy will pick up when I leave the office.   I have lots to do to get ready for the weekend.   I still have not figured out exactly what I am going to do to keep my daughter and myself on track, but I will get it figured out because failing to plan is planning to fail.

Keep your chin up! You can do this!!

I have a big BBQ to go tomorrow...I pray theres a veggie tray!!

Good morning, all and welcome, AlisoO and Susabella627!

Day 6. Feeling good!

Yesterday I learned something to share wth you. I really really disliked my lunch (leftover from dinner the night before that I didn't like but I wanted to use up the food). I just couldn't past 1/2 of it. So of course halfway through the workday I was hungry. I snacked on my carrot sticks I brought for a quick munch just in case. But they were not enough. I was ravenous by the time I got home. Not to self: stash some hearty, compliant snack at work in case something goes wrong at lunchtime. I cannot be stuck there with no food! I work on a college campus and there are too many tempting options around me to purchase.

Looking ahead this weekend... planning, shopping, prepping for week 2. Weekends have gotten busier!

I hope everyone is feeling good!

Archived