Tomatoes-- fruit or vegetable?

hellojosie

I was telling a friend about the program (just woke up to Day 20!)... how it's basically lots of meat and veg, some fruit, good fats.

She raised a good point in asking about tomatoes-- should we treat them as a fruit (i.e. OK but not unlimited) or veg (go go go!)

I made an heirloom tomato salad the other day and it was fantastic... but I had 3 tomatoes in it. I wouldn't think twice about having 3 peppers in a salad. Or 3 summer squash... but I probably wouldn't have 3 peaches in a sitting.

Thoughts?

Avocados are also botanically a fruit (actually a berry with one seed) and I think we all accept it as a veg because of the lack of sweetness and high fat content. That will always be a mystery to me. It so seems like a veggie to me. Corn is actually a grain, but we all consider it a veg unless it is dried and then we consider it a grain. Again..such a mystery to me, but so is wifi, so oh well. :)

Derval -

Say What?! That's crazy.

Is a banana a fruit or a herb?

Both. A banana (the yellow thing you peel and eat) is undoubtedly a fruit (containing the seeds of the plant: see 'Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?), though since commercially grown banana plants are sterile, the seeds are reduced to little specks. The banana plant is called a 'banana tree' in popular use, but it's technically regarded as a herbaceous plant (or 'herb'), not a tree, because the stem does not contain true woody tissue.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived