Ok, this might be a bit of a weird question and the issue at hand is still under investigation with my GP but I have an issue in my lower back on the right side. There is a lump which presses against some nerves and is causing a lot of pain. It comes in waves so it is not always as bad. Painmedication doesn't work at all.

I had the same issue last year shortly before starting on our third whole30. They did an echo of my back and it is essentially a ball of fatty tissue, but it wasn't big enough to do anything about it. I did start the whole30 shortly after and the pain disappeared. This could have been a coincidence really. I have no way of knowing that. But it was rather welcome.

The lump has now reappeared with a vengeance and it's causing me considerable discomfort to the point where it is almost impossible to sit for any period of time without being in lots of pain.

So, I know it is probably a long shot, but I wondered if anyone has any experience with these kinds of things? Or a similar issue? I was wondering if doing a whole30 will have any effect on it?

The lump - for as far as I know - is sometimes referred to as a back mouse or the below terms

liac crest pain syndrome
multifidus triangle syndrome
lumbral facial fat herniation

I guess what I would really like to know is if I can prevent an operation by changing my diet....

SimoneB - the half has not been told how much better you'll feel once you get in the groove of the Whole 30.  I pray it changes everything for you.  I can't predict the future but your future will look brighter with good food. Good food fixes everything.  I'll be doing more than crossing my fingers for you.  

I haven't heard of that so take this with a grain of salt, but do you know anyone that does fascia release, rolfing, or anything else of the sort?  Our fascia can get all messed up for lots of reasons, and there are ways to manually manipulate it to help it calm down.  Something to consider?

There is no guarantee that Whole30 will help you avoid surgery. What IS true is that Whole30 will help you face whatever comes next in the best state of health possible. That will give any treatment and recovery you undertake a better chance of success. Whole30 can only help. Whether it helps the specific symptoms of your condition or not, we can't say. We CAN say that it will help you be healthier as you move forward with your treatment options and plans.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I give an update on the situation with my fat lipoma or backmouse or whatever it is called.

I started my fourth whole30 three weeks ago, still in quite a lot of pain. I had seen a doctor before and even asked if he thought that any foodregime would help in the pain management. He was hesitant and didn't think it would do anything.

I went to the hospital to have it looked at and met an enormous asshole of a surgeon who clearly didn't think it was important enough to have a good look at it, but he was "willing" to cut it out of my body. (he's a surgeon, they like cutting)

I made an appointment for June 12th to have it removed as I was tired of the constant pain I was in.

Fast forward three weeks into my whole30 and the pain has disappeared. Almost completely, there is a few times I get a little pang in the spot it is in. The lipoma is still there but the pain is just not there anymore. Coincidence? I think not. It is the second time this has now happened. The first time was my first whole30 4 years ago. The pain was not nearly so severe as it was this time around, but in both cases the pain disappeared. It might be because I am losing weight (less pressure on the lipoma maybe?)

I will cancel the appointment to have it removed and I will see what will happen next if I start reintroducing foods. I have not done that properly last time, so am curious to find out what it will do.

Just thought I give an update on the situation!

Archived