Exhausted on Day 11

Tuesday morning I felt energetic and great, then partway through the day I started slumping big-time. I became absolutely exhausted and depressed by the time I went home at 7:30pm, almost to the point of tears. I cooked and ate a compliant dinner, then binged on some cashew butter. I was also exhausted on Wednesday and almost didn't make it in to work. 

What's going on? Why am I so dang tired? Anything I can do to make it through the rest of the day?

Here's what I was eating the last two days:

W2D9M1     3 eggs in pork belly fat, spinach, mushrooms

W2D9M2     grilled chicken salad - baby spinach, thin grilled chicken breast, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, blueberries, EVOO & balsamic vinegar, large sweet potato w/ghee & cinnamon

W2D9M3     thin grilled chicken breast, mushrooms in EVOO, butternut squash, fresh raspberries with coconut milk & coconut flakes 

W2D9S1     TJ Kale Chips, Zesty Nacho, 1 serving

W2D10M1     3 eggs, spinach, mushrooms, and heirloom tomatoes in EVOO; coffee with coconut milk

W2D10M2     grilled chicken salad - baby spinach, thin grilled chicken breast, mushrooms, heirloom tomatoes, Kalamata olives, EVOO & balsamic vinegar

W2D10M3     sugar snap peas, almond butter

Master Recipe ground turkey with sweet potato (with coconut oil/, onions, tomato paste, & poultry seasoning) 

W2D10S1      (too much) almond butter

I'm on day 11 and yesterday I too was exhausted! Today, tired too. I reminded myself it the book says days 10-11 are the hardest. So I just kept at it. I too ate too many pastacios last night. So today I'm trying to cool with it the nuts. Maybe our bodies are still trying to get used to this way of eating? I'm hoping things get better, because I definitely don't have much energy.

Hi Jaf2015. I'm sorry you're feeling tired, too. Yes, I've been thinking about how days 10 and 11 are supposed to be the hardest, too, and just trying to get through it. Hope your day 12 is better.

I left work a couple of hours early and came home and slept for an hour but I still feel lousy. I'm having some asthma, too, which is not helping.

I'm on day 11, and having the same issue. Tons of energy Tuesday and yesterday and then woke up this morning feeling like I got ran over by a truck. Tired - so tired.  I went to bed early last night and slept well so I know that isn't the problem.  I made myself go out for a short run before lunch, as that often times will perk me up... nope. If anything it made me more tired.  Having some tea now just so I can make it through the rest of my workday. Be kind to yourself and listen to your body. It's going through some things so if it needs rest, give it rest.  I may try to knock off an hour early so I can grab some couch time.  At least tonight's meal is already cooked! LOL!

I can relate JenX! A lot of people advise to just get plenty of sleep, but it can hard to do when you've got to go work. You should be able to call in "Whole30." 

I am on Day 12 now and feeling much better than I was on Days 10 and 11. I hope you are able to rest and feel better soon, too.

Guest Andria

Chezjulie, I am sorry you have not received any moderator input.  It looks as though you are feeling better so that is great news!  Sometimes we all don't follow the Timeline as it is written and can be off several days.  It, also, might just be that your body needs more time to adjust to this way of eating, especially if your diet pre-Whole30 was very different.

Your meals look good.  Just be sure your portions are adequate and don't hesitate to bump up your portions if you continue to feel tired.  Definitely continue to have the starchy veggies on a daily basis, but you may find moving them to M3 rather than M2 may help with energy issues.  Many W30 members report having better energy when keeping the fruit and starchy vegetables to the evening meal rather than throughout the day.

If your issue resurfaces, also take inventory of your sleep and water intake.  Being low on either can impact energy levels, of course.

Thanks, Andria. That actually makes a lot of sense about the timeline being delayed because I've been having For the love of Gosling, My Pants are TIGHTER today. :unsure:  And I ate VERY differently before the Whole30. I aimed for healthy, but was heavy on the carbs and Diet Coke and sweet stuff.

I definitely feel better with one or two servings of starchy carbs a day. I appreciate the suggestion about moving them to M3 but I hope I don't have to do it because I like sweet potatoes with breakfast.

Oh, no. I'm EXHAUSTED again today, despite getting about 7 hours sleep. My eyes are so tired that I keep closing them. I feel like I might need to leave work after lunch and cancel my evening plans.  :(

I also think I am gaining weight! 

Thanks, ultrarunnergirl!

I'm going to post my last three days of meals. I think maybe I started getting off track more than I realized. These chicken breasts were also smaller; they were TJ's thin chicken breasts rather than typical ginormous chicken breasts and they didn't keep me as satisfied. But I'm definitely having oil at every meal.

(And please note that the 2 Larabar breakfast was a one time only meltdown/exhausted/late for a meeting choice).

W2D10M1     3 eggs, spinach, mushrooms, and heirloom tomatoes in EVOO; coffee with coconut milk

W2D10M2     grilled chicken salad - baby spinach, grilled chicken breast, mushrooms, heirloom tomatoes, Kalamata olives, EVOO & balsamic vinegar

W2D10M3     sugar snap peas, almond butter

Master Recipe ground turkey with sweet potato (with coconut oil, onions, tomato paste, & poultry seasoning) 

W2D10S1      (too much) almond butter

W2D11M1     2 Larabars

W2D11M2     grilled chicken salad - baby spinach, grilled chicken breast, mushrooms, heirloom tomatoes, EVOO & balsamic vinegar

W2D11S1      roast almonds

W2D10M3     green salad w/beef tenderloin & avocado, EVOO & balsamic vinegar, banana

W3D10S2      TJ's freeze dried strawberries

W2D12M1     2 chicken sausage (kale & balsamic), 2 eggs in a little coconut oil, butternut squash seasoned with garam masala & cinnamon, 2 cups of Amaya Roasting Coffee with generous coconut milk

W2D12M2     grilled chicken breast, new potatoes with ghee, broccoli with cayenne pepper

W2D12S1      pistachio nuts (more than a fistful, erk)

W2D12M3     The Biggest Salad Ever, featuring  baby spinach, spring mix, small grilled chicken breast, 1 chicken sausage, beet, pear, mushrooms, EVOO, lemon juice, S&P

W2D12S2      pistachio nuts (much more than a fistful, erk)

• Administrators

I don't think you are eating enough.  Snacking at least once every day tells me that your meals are not large enough.  

Pistachios and freeze dried strawberries (and to some extent, almond butter) is going to spike your blood sugar when you eat it on its own.  Blood sugar spikes lead to blood sugar crashes which leads to exhaustion when repeated.  Your larabar day included two larabars, freeze dried strawberries and a banana.  Whether the larabars are "normal" for you or not, they are going to contribute to how you're feeling now.  The banana itself isn't "bad" and you included it with your meal but for someone who is experiencing exhaustion, it might be something you want to steer away from for awhile if blood sugar is what is actually causing your issues.

For the next few days, try to forumlate your meals so that they keep you going for 4-5 hours at a time and if I were you, I would severly limit or restrict nuts and dried fruits.

Great to know others are struggling around day 11 too. My first five days I was on top of the world, and then the headache started and hasn't really let up. I attribute it to both stress and giving up my beloved coffee (because of the 1/2 and 1/2). 

I haven't been hungry once on this program, and reading through your menu, it looks like you might not be quite sticking to the template, and having a few too many snacks that don't combine things correctly. Maybe increasing the size of your meals would help and trying to eliminate the snacks that don't include the recommended fat/protein ratio.

Thank you, ladyshanny. I'm not sure I've ever been told I wasn't eating enough before.  ;)

You're right to notice the daily snacks. That's the kind of thing that isn't as obvious when it's happening. ("Hmmn, still hungry. I'll have a few almonds"). I will beef up my meals more. I think they were bigger the first week overall.

I threw away my almond butter on Day 10, and was thinking about doing next week without nuts, so I'm right there with you.

knotsuzz, sorry to hear about the headache. I'm guessing you are one of those who hates black coffee.

I'm pretty sure all my meals have been textbook template except for the Larabars of Doom. Snacks aren't described with the meal template, except to avoid them if you can. I wouldn't quibble except that it has been a point of pride to me that I'm following the template for my meals.

• Administrators

Thank you, ladyshanny. I'm not sure I've ever been told I wasn't eating enough before.  ;)

I'm pretty sure all my meals have been textbook template except for the Larabars of Doom. Snacks aren't described with the meal template, except to avoid them if you can. I wouldn't quibble except that it has been a point of pride to me that I'm following the template for my meals.

The template is a range, don't forget.  So you can have a perfectly template meal with one chicken thigh, 1 cup of veggies and 1 thumb of fat.  Or you can have 3 or 4 chicken thighs, 2 cups of green beans, a piece of sweet potato and a whole avocado.  Both template but one will get you to lunch and the other certainly won't.  :)

I was also thinking that your big amounts of pistachios could also be contributing to your tiredness. Besides being super carby, they can be digestively upsetting....so it's possible that your body has been working to mitigate the damage of both the blood sugar spikes and some internal distress.

I thought I would check back in from the future - Day 17! I am feeling much better. Gone is the heavy fatigue and also some tummy issues I'd been having.

I took ladyshanny's and Andria's and ultrarunnergirl's advice and bumped up my portions a good bit, probably by a third. I've also cut out eggs this week (due to nausea after eating two hard boiled one) and am taking a digestive enzyme pill daily.

Archived