Sweet taters...and a littleTMI

I have upped my sweet potato intake over the last few days and had watermelon last night...now thinking I may be somewhat sensitive to mannitol....All of a sudden this afternoon...let us just say that I have what my dad calls the trots...BAD...and that is not something I have experienced the first 16 days.  :P~~~~~~~~~~ 

I went to trusty old Google and searched each item I ate over the past couple of days and landed on this little gem...and several other sites that back this up.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/481342-why-do-sweet-potatoes-hurt-your-stomach/

"To avoid overwhelming your limited capacity to handle mannitol, avoid other mannitol-rich foods, such as watermelon, mushrooms, cauliflower, celery and snow peas, on the days you have sweet potatoes"

Last night was the first time I had sweet potatoes and watermelon at the same time.  I maybe ate sweet potatoes once or twice a week before the W30 and now I am eating at least 1/2 a day.  Note to self...no more mixing of the above...because the symptoms mentioned on that link are pretty much me this afternoon.  While I might not be 100% sure of the accuracy of that info...it is easy enough to not mix those food items, and I am bad enough right now that I would rather not risk it.  

Just out of curiosity any one else notice something like that when they eat any of those foods at the same time?

Any suggestions for helping to tamp down on the runs??  Probiotic??

Thanks!

Oh dear - poor you... :blink: 

I quite often eat sweet potato & mushrooms on the same day but can't say I've ever noticed any 'symptoms'.....  :ph34r: 

Until things settle down for you try to avoid fatty foods or any thing hard on the digestive system (read that as nuts!) and stick to maybe boiled white potato. Bananas are said to be good for 'binding' (I always hated that word when my mum said it) but since they are also high in sugar content (and since fruit is limited on whole30 anyways) you don't want to be eating too many of those...

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Oh dear - poor you... :blink: 

I quite often eat sweet potato & mushrooms on the same day but can't say I've ever noticed any 'symptoms'.....  :ph34r: 

Until things settle down for you try to avoid fatty foods or any thing hard on the digestive system (read that as nuts!) and stick to maybe boiled white poato. Bananas are said to be good for 'binding' (I always hated that word when my mum said it) but since they are also high in sugar content (and since fruit is limited on whole30 anyways) you don't want to be eating too many of those...

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Thanks for the suggestions!  I hope so too!  Work productivity has kindof come to a halt as I am am constantly taking trips to the restroom.  I also unfortunately already eaten lunch before this happened...which was leftovers from last night... :blink:

I have never been a big nut person...if you put them in front of me I would probably eat them...but not really something I seek out on a regular basis.

I think I am going to go grab a probiotic, and maybe just have some raw carrots, broth, and a regular potato for dinner...possibly throw in a nanner.  I had a nice template meal planned...but it isn't really sounding very good right now.   :o

I think I am going to go grab a probiotic, and maybe just have some raw carrots, broth, and a regular potato for dinner...possibly throw in a nanner.  I had a nice template meal planned...but it isn't really sounding very good right now.   :o

I would leave the raw carrot to be honest. Raw veg can also be particularly hard to digest - maybe steam/boil it? But I reckon mash, bone broth & banana would probably be your best option along with that probiotic.

Good luck - what you had planned will keep til tomorrow - you'll appreciate it more when you're feeling better!

• Moderators

Take an over the counter anti-diarrhea medication! Diarrhea can continue for days-weeks before it stops on its own. Meds can stop it in a day. 

You can find articles proving that every real, whole, fresh food that you might eat is actually dangerous and likely to make you sick one way or another. Seriously. Warning of doom is a sure way to get attention on the internet. The Livestrong site is not notorious for such behavior, but this article smacks of that kind of crap. I think you would be jumping to an unjustified conclusion if you decided on the basis of this bout of diarrhea that you cannot eat a sweet potato and a slice of watermelon on the same day without consequences. 

Mannitol is a FODMAP and if I eat those mentioned foods in any amount over a quarter cup I get the symptoms you describe. I distinctly remember what happened after I ate two large sweet taters in one meal. Long before FODMAPs were part of my vocabulary.

For me the symptoms fade out over the course of 1-2 days without having to do anything else. A lot depends on how much you ate. You'll have to experiment for yourself, everyone has different levels of sensitivity. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Archived