Day 5 - all I think about is food

So I'm on day 5, yesterday I wanted to kill everyone in my way but today I have more energy and feel more alert. Though I'm thinking about food constantly (there are adverts for chocolate everywhere?!!) and if I'm eating the right stuff. I've become obsessed that I may be mucking up in someway. So I thought I'd ask you lovely whole 30ers - is the obsession with what I'm eating normal? 

Below is an example of what I ate for day 3 and 4, if anyone can give me any pointers I'd really appreciate it. Or if its all ok then even better :-)

Day 3:

Breakfast: Veg omlette - left over kale, sweet potato, onion with two eggs

Lunch: Turkey breast with whole30 pesto, cabbage carrot slaw, 1/2 avocado, one date

Snack: Coconut chunks

Dinner: me and my husband were hosting a dinner party which I was freaking out about but I managed to cook a 3 course whole 30 meal - tuna carpaccio (just with lime/chilli/coriander, slow roast lamb with broccoli cauliflower mash and slaw. then strawberries with whipped coconut milk. I made myself a sparkling water mocktail with berries too.

Day 4: 

Breakfast: apple with 2 tsps almond butter

Lunch: leftover lamb & slaw and cinnamon tea - my new love!

Dinner: 1 and a half turkey breasts, massive salad with almonds, olive oil & white wine vinegar, homemade pesto & guacamole

We then drove to my husbands parents and its a 3 hour drive so I had some veg crisps and raisins & 2 figs then got really worried that was naughty??

I do feel snacky, and its always for nuts and raisins.....

Any advice that would be great

Your breakfasts are too small and it's hard to get back from a poor start to the day.

On day 4 for example didn't have any protein, or veggies, or what I'd class as a good fat. You started with fruit which can cause a spike in blood sugar when taken first thing in the morning, followed by a trough, which then leads to feelings of hunger... On day 3 you started with only two eggs - when eggs are you only source of protein you should eat the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most people. A good helping of protein & fat will stave off those cravings & help you feel fuller for longer. Don't give the sugar dragon what it wants - raisins, figs, dates etc which *are* technically compliant but should be eaten only with or as part of a meal.

In short eat more for meal one, and be sure to stick to the template.

Your breakfasts are a tad small.  Apple and 2 tsps almond butter are more snackity than brekkie.  As you move further into your days, your food choices increase and they look good.  Your dinner party was terrific.

There is the natural tendency to find substitutes for foods that we ate pre Whole 30.   Dried fruits and nuts are the closest compliant foods that are reminders of all foods with sugar.  While meat or fish may not have the allure or sparkle of dried fruits and nuts, protein and nice big dollop of compliant fat will help you get to Day 30.

Agree with the previous replies. You want to create meals of protein, veg and fat that satiate you for 4-5 hours. Nuts are a fat on a Whole30. Don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate.

If you are genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommended snack is a mini meal of protein, veg and fat.

Thanks so much for all the responses. I'll get into the habit of having some chicken, avocado and veg in the house so my sugar dragon can be tamed. I love this little community, its so nice! 

I just want to say congratulations on preparing a Whole30 dinner party. The food sounds delicious!

I would be starving with a two-egg omelette (although you might be very petite and have small hands).

I am struggling with having large enough meals, too. I still have the mindset of what a "normal" meal is like, but from what I've learned from others on the board, a Whole30 meal is maybe a third to a half larger!

maybe thats what it is. Tonight I conquered my first eating out and had a massive fillet steak with boiled new potatoes and tomatoes and broccoli and when dessert came I felt jealous and awesome! Chezjulie I'm not petite really though my hands are quite small! loving the forum support though 

Archived