Starting May 11th

Debzella

Jeannie: we made it into your dream?! awwww *love*

Bricky: do you live in the northeast? allergy season is hitting pretty hard right now, and in addition to sinus pressure/ congestion, fatigue is the biggest symptom.

Staci oh, so so sorry to hear about your kitty. sending huge hugs and compliant vibes your way 

Week 2, I'm comin atcha!

M1: onion tomato mushroom stewed in coconut milk & red curry + 2 fried eggs + pork patty

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 17....there is literally less than 2 weeks left before we make it to WHOLE30. Crazy. However, I did wake up this morning feeling kind of gloomy. The other week, I thought I was seeing progress and moving forward but now, I feel very similar to when I started. I'm not having as bad of abdominal discomfort and I'm less bloated...but, my friend just finished her Whole30 and was down 12 pounds! I don't feel like I've budged at all...I mean, I'm eating better and feeling better in my own skin and I have underlying health issues that are being addressed on top of it all...so maybe I'll be one of the "slow" ones...I know it's not about the weight loss...but, when you're trying to get pregnant and the doctor tells you that you need to lose 20 pounds, that's all I can think about! I guess I'll just keep swimming and see what happens in the end. Maybe I should start exercising more?

I'm with you on this whole post.  Feeling gloomy, not feeling like I've lost any weight even though I keep telling myself its not about that.  Hmph.  Sticking to plan and hoping things look up.  

RECOMMENDATION: I had Rao's marinara sauce this weekend and had to read the label ten times before i would believe it was compliant. And then again, after i ate it, i read it another ten times! and I even looked it up online! It's one of those too good to be true kind of things. if anyone's looking for delicious compliant pre-made pasta sauce, Rao's Marinara is the mother of delicious sauces. 

INGREDIENTS: Rao's Homemade Marinara Sauce is made with Italian tomatoes, olive oil, fresh onions, salt, fresh garlic, fresh basil, black pepper, oregano.

who else has found a diamond pre-made compliant item they love so much they'd want to share with the group? maybe thinking of all the greatest hits and good finds will keep us motivated and active in our journeys :)

cheers to everyone having a positive day, so glad we're all in this together, and I'm already looking forward to my nightly pre-bed check-in to hear how all y'alls days went :)

I know this isn't a pre-made sauce, but I made this pesto http://paleomg.com/artichoke-lemon-pesto-chicken-pasta/last night & it was INSANE. I didn't make the full spaghetti squash meal, I just made the pesto and put it on top of pan-fried chicken, cauliflower rice and steamed broccoli. It was one of my top 5 meals I've made on this W30 journey. The pesto would be really easy to make a huge batch ahead of time and then incorporate it into a variety of meals - it's that good!

Absolutely, positively making that pesto.  Like...tonight.

I know this isn't a pre-made sauce, but I made this pesto http://paleomg.com/artichoke-lemon-pesto-chicken-pasta/last night & it was INSANE. I didn't make the full spaghetti squash meal, I just made the pesto and put it on top of pan-fried chicken, cauliflower rice and steamed broccoli. It was one of my top 5 meals I've made on this W30 journey. The pesto would be really easy to make a huge batch ahead of time and then incorporate it into a variety of meals - it's that good!

Made that dish last night for dinner: one of my faves!  Mega-yum!

• Administrators

Oh, I forgot about that one!!!!!!!!  Thanks for the reminder!  I always default to her Buffalo Chicken "Pasta".

I do it with zoodles, btw.  Not a huge fan of spaghetti squash.  The zoodles seem to make it heartier.

Question, when making Zoodles...how do you get it from not being a watery mess? Every time I try to make zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash, it comes out as mush...not too appetizing. Would love some pointers!!

Good tip - I love making zoodles!

Any tips appreciated :) Would love to try it again!

I've found that steaming zoodles works best. I put zoodles in a colander and set colander in/on a boiling pot of water. I just happened to have a colander that fits perfectly inside a pot. Once the water is boiling, that's when I set colander on top and then cover with lid. I only need to steam them for a few minutes and they're good to go! 

I've also heated oil in a pan and cooked zoodles that way, but I prefer the steaming method. 

I've never tried to steam them!  I usually use the salt method - pop the raw noodles in a colander in the sink, salt them liberally to draw out the moisture and then rinse/dry them.  Its kind of a pain.  

I've never tried to steam them!  I usually use the salt method - pop the raw noodles in a colander in the sink, salt them liberally to draw out the moisture and then rinse/dry them.  Its kind of a pain.  

I've found that steaming zoodles works best. I put zoodles in a colander and set colander in/on a boiling pot of water. I just happened to have a colander that fits perfectly inside a pot. Once the water is boiling, that's when I set colander on top and then cover with lid. I only need to steam them for a few minutes and they're good to go! 

I've also heated oil in a pan and cooked zoodles that way, but I prefer the steaming method. 

Awesome -- I will give it a try :) Thanks so much!

• Administrators

Question, when making Zoodles...how do you get it from not being a watery mess? Every time I try to make zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash, it comes out as mush...not too appetizing. Would love some pointers!!

Any tips appreciated :) Would love to try it again!

My main tip is that I don't cook them.  If I use them in the buffalo pasta, for instance, I throw them in raw and then just stir them in and serve it casserole style.  Same when I put them in the Pina Colada Chicken, I just throw them in raw and stir them around.  I do not typically serve them as a "bed" of noodle replacement because I have long disliked "pasta and sauce" anyway.

Spaghetti squash I do a bit different also.  I cut the squash into 1" rounds, deseed each round and then rub with oil and bake at a reasonably high heat until the rounds are tender.  Then I fork them out.  Makes longer strands this way and I find it doesn't get mushy like it can when you bake it cut in half, face down.

Sorry about your kitty, Staci. Pets are our families. 

Wow, this weekend was really difficult.  On top of not being able to have any cocktails, we lost our lovely 16 year old kitty.  She passed away on Sunday.  We both SO wanted comfort food and WINE.  But - we soldiered on saying "we can't eat our feelings".  I'm in the angry stage and have been for a couple of days.  I'm staying compliant but I hope it passes quickly.  I'm almost happy being back to work today to get back into routine.  

Day 17 for me. I'm also feeling like I may not have lost very much weight. My pants are still basically the same, fit-wise. Although if I count the fact that they're not so tight that my eyeballs are going to pop out, then I guess I am making progress. lol. I feel lighter, but I don't see it yet. I actually don't want to step on the scale, because I would lose all hope, if the numbers hadn't changed. And it's not about the numbers, so much as feeling better, and healthier. That being said, I'm having a really low energy day. So, I'm just going to plod along today, and trust the process. 

Yesterday, I had my first intense craving for something sweet after dinner. Hot fudge sundae, cookies, anything. I don't normally even eat those things, but I wanted them real bad . :)  I drove to the health-food store and bought complaint cashew butter, drove home and spread it on an apple. It did it for me, and it was delicious, but I felt like it might have been a little like SWYPO. 

After dinner, I went to my sister's house, anticipating that she would serve me goodies. She loves a good goopy dessert and is a splendid hostess, always with something sinful and delicious. I was ready. But, surprise of surprises, she didn't have any snacks this time. She had been to the doctor this week, and her blood sugar was elevated. A lot. She is being tested for diabetes, and was put on meds for high blood pressure. A wake up call for sure. She is younger than me and has always had a fondness for sweets and baked goods.

I told her about the Whole30, but she wasn't really receptive right now. I respect that. It's a process. Her kids have been eating paleo for years, so she knows some of the recipes, and philosophies. She'll get there. Family dynamics are always interesting… she's the "practical, sensible" sister and I'm the "serendipitous free spirit" sister. So, automatically, if I'm doing it, it's too "out there" and "hippy dippy" for her. But this time, I'm on to something sane and healthy, and I believe Whole30 is so necessary to kill those sugar dragons, at the very least. She'll come around. On the plus side, her kids have heard of Whole30, and they were duly impressed that I was on day 16.  :)

Breakfast this morning - 3 poached eggs on top of leftover roasted sweet potatoes and grilled eggplant.

Lunch - kale and chard salad with baked chicken and an apple with cashew butter

Dinner - leftover chicken cacciatore that I made yesterday, roasted carrots

I need to cook a new kind of meat. I've had a lot of chicken in the past few days. lol.

• Administrators

Yesterday, I had my first intense craving for something sweet after dinner. Hot fudge sundae, cookies, anything. I don't normally even eat those things, but I wanted them real bad . :)  I drove to the health-food store and bought complaint cashew butter, drove home and spread it on an apple. It did it for me, and it was delicious, but I felt like it might have been a little like SWYPO. 

Are you nearing your period by any chance? How's your starchy veggie intake? Super intense sugary cravings are common around the week before and of a period and can be managed by making sure that you are having at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggie per day.

I'm still experiencing nothing out of the ordinary.  Clothes still tight, body looks the same, skin not glowing, can't sleep, previous chronic diarrhea still chronic...and this has been really messing with my mind too with feelings of anxiety and low self-esteem.  Needless to say, I'm not happy.  I also fear that I'll make it to the end, step on the scale and find that I've gained weight.  I'm sorry to be a Debbie Downer- just can't figure out why I'm so far out of the norm with such a drastic change in eating.  When I went on Atkins a hundred years ago I lost weight quickly with very visible results, and this is just so much better that I expected the same.

I guess this will be ammo when I go in for a check-up next month and demand a thyroid test. :P  

I'm reading thru chapter 18 of ISWF & the last paragraph of the timeline says, "even if you haven't achieved all the results you'd hoped to by the 29th say, hang on: You cannot reasonably expect to completely reverse decades of poor eating habits in just 30 days. At some point, we promise... The magic will happen. In the meantime, be patient, don't ease up on your hard-won discipline....."

And it goes on to say there's no magic # and some people will really flourish with a whole45 or whole60.

Stay strong & focused, ktinto!!'

I guess this will be ammo when I go in for a check-up next month and demand a thyroid test. :P  

I feel ya :) I had my thyroid checked out a couple months ago and had to go on meds...things are in the normal range now, so I'm hoping things will turn around...but, I'm sure it'll be slower than "normal" with the medical condition...Just keep swimming! This is so good for our bodies....even if it takes a little longer.

ALSO, I was right about the bday treats at work....sitting at the "sharing table" right next to my desk is a HUGE Chocolate Cake with Chocolate frosting, 2% milk and CHEESECAKE....UGHHHHH. But, before that, I went to lunch with co-workerd to get our nails done and they had to stop at the fast food place and wolfed down burgers while I salivated in the back seat, quietly wishing I was back at the office so I could eat my chicken and vegs! BLAH. ha!

• Administrators

I'm still experiencing nothing out of the ordinary.  Clothes still tight, body looks the same, skin not glowing, can't sleep, previous chronic diarrhea still chronic...and this has been really messing with my mind too with feelings of anxiety and low self-esteem.  Needless to say, I'm not happy.  I also fear that I'll make it to the end, step on the scale and find that I've gained weight.  I'm sorry to be a Debbie Downer- just can't figure out why I'm so far out of the norm with such a drastic change in eating.  When I went on Atkins a hundred years ago I lost weight quickly with very visible results, and this is just so much better that I expected the same.

Hey ktinto, can you post a few days worth of typical food consumption? I read your previous posts about how your lifestyle was prior to Whole30 and I would level a guess that your body is in full on healing mode at the moment. If not healing your gut and systemic inflammation, at the very least healing your hormones and blood sugar stability.  Weight loss is not linear and it doesn't necessarily come when you want it.  If your body prioritizes healing over weight loss, that's just how it's going to go for awhile.  

Post some days of food and we can take a look and see if anything stands out. 

Hello Everyone,

Is there just a support thread on here? I think I am in need of support. Today I'm doing really well, but I am often worried about my intake since I'm kind of going off the meal template. Only eat 3 meals a day. I feel like I'm eating way too much fruit. I have a serving at breakfast and at lunch. Dinner I typically don't. I've been trying to slowly wean off of doing this. With getting healthier I also would like to lose weight. I need to get the meal template down, however I feel like I'm still hungry. Do you add an extra protein source instead of fruit if you are still hungry? I am feeling great and I'm banking on that, but I think the 'number on the darn scale' is still haunting me. I haven't got on... but I have a doctors appointment tonight and I'm worried that if it high or not what I want it to be I'll relapse into using food for emotional eating. I am thinking of asking them not to tell me. IDK... I think I just need a bit of support or pick me up. <3 

• Administrators

Hello Everyone,

Is there just a support thread on here? I think I am in need of support. Today I'm doing really well, but I am often worried about my intake since I'm kind of going off the meal template. Only eat 3 meals a day. I feel like I'm eating way too much fruit. I have a serving at breakfast and at lunch. Dinner I typically don't. I've been trying to slowly wean off of doing this. With getting healthier I also would like to lose weight. I need to get the meal template down, however I feel like I'm still hungry. Do you add an extra protein source instead of fruit if you are still hungry? I am feeling great and I'm banking on that, but I think the 'number on the darn scale' is still haunting me. I haven't got on... but I have a doctors appointment tonight and I'm worried that if it high or not what I want it to be I'll relapse into using food for emotional eating. I am thinking of asking them not to tell me. IDK... I think I just need a bit of support or pick me up. <3 

The whole forum is a support thread but you can also always post in Troubleshooting if you want.

First, for the scale, tell them not to tell you your weight.  It's against the rules anyway since you are still on a Whole30, right?

Second, you are breastfeeding.  Your body is going to always prioritize that over dropping weight.  It would be crazy not to, you are keeping another human alive and even if you aren't feeding as much as you did when she was a baby, it is still a huge physiological drain on your body.  

If you are feeding another human with your body, the "three meals a day no snacking" does not apply to you. Eat more fat, more protein and more veggies.  Fruit on its own is not desired as it messes with your blood sugar. If you feel like you are eating too much (either physically feel that way or mentally/emotionally get that feeling) then you are free to honor that feeling and reduce or eliminate it.  Fruit is optional. 

I stopped keeping a log last Friday, but meals I remember have been along the lines of 2 poached eggs over brussels sprouts and 1/2 avocado, veggie/bison meatloaf, chicken & veggie "alfredo", kale salad w/ chicken sausage & cabbage soup, chicken tikka masala w/ broccoli, kale salad w/ tuna salad (Whole30 mayo), steak, potato w/ ghee, lettuce, tomato & bacon salad, scrambled eggs w/ veggies & a few bites of coconut butter...like I said before, I did eat tons of veggies previously and no meat.  I did have a McCoke every day and cookies whenever I could, but I don't think overall I was too unheathy.  Thank you all for the uplifting words- I'm trying to hang in!

Archived