Day 16, not seeing any benefits yet

I'm on Day 16 and have been following the plan well. It's honestly not that difficult, except when I don't plan ahead and need to eat out. Even then, I find it's not too hard to find ok things to eat.

Here's the issue: I am not seeing any benefits. I don't have any extra energy, clothes are not any looser. I've always slept well, and continue to do so. 

I know they say over and over that your focus for doing this should not be on weight loss, and that you should focus on the many other benefits that occur. I must admit, I started because I have weight to lose, and I thought this could be a jumpstart for me. 

I have not stepped on the scale, which is a victory for me. And I continue to eat clean. But, I just keep questioning the benefits. What's the point if I am not feeling any better/different and seemingly not losing any weight?

Anyone else have a similar experience? Encouraging thoughts or suggestions?

• Administrators

Sorry that you haven't noticed anything.  Trust though that your body is rebalancing hormones, resetting blood sugar levels, adjusting insulin response and sensitivity, releasing inflammation and overall adapting to a whole-foods diet.  Depending on where you were, health and diet wise, before coming to Whole30, your body could be prioritizing healing over all else.  

Check out this list of things that could be better and see if you have any of them??

http://whole9life.com/2012/08/new-health-scale/

A gentle reminder that it's a 30 day program. http://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-tough-love/

If you'd like to confirm whether you're on the right track, post 2-3 days worth of your food log, including portion sizes, daily water consumption, nightly hours of sleep and any exercise.  Also, how's your current stress level?  How different is Whole30 eating from how you ate prior to your Whole30?

I'm on Day 16 and have been following the plan well. It's honestly not that difficult, except when I don't plan ahead and need to eat out. Even then, I find it's not too hard to find ok things to eat.

Here's the issue: I am not seeing any benefits. I don't have any extra energy, clothes are not any looser. I've always slept well, and continue to do so. 

I know they say over and over that your focus for doing this should not be on weight loss, and that you should focus on the many other benefits that occur. I must admit, I started because I have weight to lose, and I thought this could be a jumpstart for me. 

I have not stepped on the scale, which is a victory for me. And I continue to eat clean. But, I just keep questioning the benefits. What's the point if I am not feeling any better/different and seemingly not losing any weight?

Anyone else have a similar experience? Encouraging thoughts or suggestions?

What normally happens for you in 30 days for a  weight release jumpstart?   Anywhere from 2-10 has happened for most people but four is about the norm.   Four is great.   You'll know in 2 weeks.

• Moderators

One other question, you say you have been strict except for when you get caught out and find "ok things to eat" at a restaurant. What do you mean by that?

Are you just choosing things that look like they should be ok, or are you asking in-depth questions about the menu and explaining what you need to avoid to the waitstaff? I only ask because if you didn't get the low down on what's in the dishes you order, you could have been ingesting gluten, soy, etc. It's in things you would never imagine. And that would certainly explain not feeling different.

Here's a link to the Restaurant Navigation Guide, super helpful if you aren't sure where to start: http://whole9life.com/2012/11/dining-out-whole30/

As the other moderators have noted, you might not feel different for another week or two, everyone experiences these things at a different rate.

Keep on keepin' on!

Archived